Bald Spot/Thin Hair

Last year Pirate got this bald spot on his head. I put NuStock on it and the hair grew back, no problem. Found out his littermate brother also had this issue but his breed thought it was because he scraped his head on his dog house. His brother's spot hasn't come back.

This picture is from a couple days ago but it looks the same. The NuStock isn't working this year at all. I know you guys aren't vets, I don't think anyway, but would this worry you enough to take him in? He's always had thin hair around the sides of his head and ears since he was a puppy but this is clearly a balding spot. Anyone seen something like this before? Could it be allergies?

Someone suggested it could be stud tail and that this bald spot on the top of the head pops up in a lot of bulldog breeds but I was confused as to why something on the tail would cause a spot on the top of the head.

Forgot to mention he's lost most of the hair on his nose/top of his muzzle. I didn't really notice it until someone else pointed it out. Not sure if that's related or not. We have a few shows coming up and I'd be pretty embarrassed to take him as he is. I'm going to see if I can get him in sometime next week.

I'm still Curious to know if anyone has seen the spot specifically before.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Localized demodex?

Some of the skin around the spot looks red/irritated like he's been scratching at it, so that makes me think it's itchy. Could certainly be allergy related, too.

If he were my dog, I'd take him in to be seen.

Thanks for the opinion. I've wondered about that too. He had just gotten a bath before this picture so the NuStock was just washed off. It definitely was red and irritated but I haven't noticed him itching or it bothering him at all. It isn't red anymore.

Looks like Monday is the soonest I'll be able to take him in.

We just got back from the vet. She did a skin scrape on his head and didn't find any mites. Said it could still be mites because they're hard to find sometimes. It could also be an infection of the hair follicles or maybe allergies. She's treating it like an infection right now. Gave us prednisone and cephalexin. If that doesn't work she's going to give us revolution and treat it like mites.

How old is your dog by the way? don't you think it might be his getting old. And yes it is possible what your vet said. But when it's taking to long and the bald spot became worse try searching for another vet for a second opinion.

He's not an old dog. He isn't even 3 years old yet. I was treating it at home. This is the first time I've taken him to the vet for this issue. I'm going to trust my vets opinion and if things don't clear up, we will see about a second opinion.

Sometimes I look at the main spot on his head and think his hair is growing back. Sometimes, I can't really tell. But here are the main spots I have been concerned about. Since being on the prednisone and cephalexin, the hairless spots on his ears have gotten really crusty. But these were taken just now if anyone is interested.

kady05

How weird, Piper has missing/thin hair on the top of her head in the exact same spot. Nothing irritated or anything around hers. I've always chalked it up to either allergies or possibly a demodex flare up since she did have that as a pup. If it would get worse, I'd take her in to the vet, but it's always stayed the same so I've never felt the need.

How weird, Piper has missing/thin hair on the top of her head in the exact same spot. Nothing irritated or anything around hers. I've always chalked it up to either allergies or possibly a demodex flare up since she did have that as a pup. If it would get worse, I'd take her in to the vet, but it's always stayed the same so I've never felt the need.
The suggestion I spoke of in the first post was a link to PBC. I had posted the original picture in a Facebook group and that's what they showed me. It was a post specific to bull terriers but supposedly it's common in most bulldog breeds. I don't know as I've never seen it before or heard anyone else talk about it.

kady05

Yeah I've heard of stud tail before, and know that females can get at well (despite the name). But I've never seen it on a dogs head before so.. who knows LOL.

milos_mommy

Now I'm not by any means a vet but I'm wondering if there's something immediately ruling out alopecia? I know it runs in boxers and isn't uncommon in pit type dogs.

Members online

No members online now.