Pets You Will and Will Not Own.....

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
The older I get, the more I whittle down the list of animals I'd like as pets. As a kid I would have taken any pet, but now I'm finding that I'm more picky. So what pets do you enjoy owning, or would like to try owning and what critters are a no-go?

Here is my list:

Willing to Own--
Dogs (duh-lol)
Horses (any equine really)
Small to medium sized parrots
Finches
Rabbits
Various poultry--everything from chickens to peacocks
Most kinds of fresh water fish
Cats
Hedgehogs

Would Not Own--
Reptiles
Creepy crawlies--tarantulas, scorpions, hermit crabs
Most non-rabbit rodents
Ferrets
Chinchillas
Cockatoos, toucans, or the very large Macaws
Pot bellied pig
Most non-avian exotics
Salt water fish

Lyzelle

I'd own...

Dogs
Horses
Cats
Rats

Would definitely NOT own...

Ferrets
Rabbits
Birds
Most reptiles

Everything else is sorta inbetween. I haven't a terribly huge list on either side yet.

I don't count fish. They seem like more of a decoration or hobby to me than a pet. Like plants.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I would own:
Dogs
Horses
Cats
Reptiles (mainly snakes and geckos)
Rabbits
Chinchillas
Rats

Would not own:
Spiders
Birds (I'm scared of most of them though I could own chickens)

Can't think of anything else off hand

yoko

Will own:
Dogs
Small Rodents
Small furry animals like bunnies and chinchillas
Birds

Will not own:
Cats
Monkeys *I know they aren't common pets but I have seen people own them. Honestly I know I may be weird but monkeys scare the crap out of me*
A lot of non interactive pets. I get if you like watching them but for me if I don't really interact with it i feels it's a lot of work for not enough payout... if that makes sense

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Oh, I wouldn't have a sugar glider either. We have a strict "one vagina per being" rule here.
:rofl1:

Would own:
Dogs
Cats
Any rodent
Rabbits
Horses? Maybe?

Would not own:
Anything with more than 4 legs
Birds
Ferrets
Probably most reptiles

JessLough

Love My Mutt
A lot of non interactive pets. I get if you like watching them but for me if I don't really interact with it i feels it's a lot of work for not enough payout... if that makes sense
This. I've always wanted a sugar glider... then I watched Jessie's 2 :rofl1:

There's really not much that I absolutely wouldn't own, though. Heck, I'd probably even own sugar gliders if I came upon one needing a home.

The only absolute definite I have are dogs and ferrets, and horses when I have land

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Would own:
Dogs
Cats
Guinea Pigs
Rats
Potentially ferrets
Potentially rabbits (that would be Mike owning, not me - I'm more of a Guinea Pig person)
Potentially hamsters/gerbils (don't think I'd buy one, but if someone gave one to me...)
Potentially certain livestock/horses

Would not own:
Chinchillas
Sugar Gliders
Reptiles
Amphibians
Fish
Birds of any kind, especially parrots
Mice (too stinky - I'd rather have a hamster)
Other exotic animals (Richardson Ground Squirrels, STOs, Skunks, Pot Bellied Pigs, etc.)
Hermit Crabs

I would be a satisfied person with some dogs and either rats or Guinea Pigs, maybe with some outdoor cats (if we live in the country and have land).

xpaeanx

Will own:

Dogs
Cats
Horses
Goats
Sheep
Chickens
Guineas
Cockatiels

Will not own:
Anything else

I have a snake right now... I like him alright, but I don't want another.

It's not that I don't like other animals, I just don't want to take care of them.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I only want dogs and fish from this point out. Maybe a cat. BIG maybe. More likely I'd just get another papillon instead.

Nothing that needs a cage cleaned again. I enjoyed my rodents and really enjoyed Scout, my chinchilla, but I just hate cleaning cages.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Will own:

Dogs
Cats
Hybrid cats
Birds
Most small mammals (rabbits, chinchillas, etc.)
Hoofed mammals
Fish
Reptiles

Will not own:

Anything carnivorous that is big enough to eat me and not a dog (except for fish and reptiles. I totally wouldn't mind a crocodilian of some sort some day :eek:)
Horses
The large parrots. I already have little kids. lol
I wouldn't keep small rodents like rats and mice as pets, but might raise them as a food source for other pets.

Picklepaige

Eh, there's really nothing that I ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT OWN, but I have some that I'd rather not.

I will own:
Dogs
Rats
Horses/Cattle/hopefully reindeer if I can get my paws on them
Tegus (maybe leopard geckos/snakes/and Rhino iguanas)

I might get some more fish. I really enjoy my bettas.
Cats are kind of iffy. I love them, but I'd rather not have to deal with having a prey-driven dog and having cats at the same time.
I love reptiles/amphibians, so I might try some more other than the ones I listed above.
Ferrets sound fun, so they're a maybe.
Exotic antelope would be AWESOME.

As for what I'd rather not have, that list is pretty short:

Any sort of monkey/primate. That is the only definite NO. That includes human children ;)

Birds. Especially the more intelligent parrots. They are like feathered, more dependent children

Most small mammals other than rats and maybe ferrets. Especially rodents, because after rats, I don't really see the point :p

Romy

Taxiderpy
Tegus (maybe leopard geckos/snakes/and Rhino iguanas)
:hail::hail::hail:

You are officially awesome!!! Argentine black and whites or pure locale blue cayman islands are going to be the first lizard I get when I manage to buy a house.

Also, I totally forgot primates. NO MONKEYS! EWW. Even lemurs, though they're sort of cute.

BostonBanker

My rule is "If you poop in the house, you don't live in my house". I won't own any caged pets as a result. Which pretty much leaves me dogs and horses. And I probably won't own another horse after Tristan for a long time. It is just too much of a financial drain.

I'd own a cat again if it was still like when I was a kid and they were indoor/outdoor animals. Our cat Rocky went in and out when he wanted, and we only had a litter box for when we were away overnight (and I'm sure he was ticked beyond belief to be in). I like cats, but I don't do litter boxes on a regular basis. And it is pretty much a "no" to let cats outside these days. I've also never loved the cats I've known who are indoor cats as much. Barn cats, indoor/outdoor cats - very different in my experiences than strictly indoor.

So basically - dogs :D

RD

Are you dead yet?
I am iffy on birds. The fragility of birds and the fact that I know so little about them and can never seem to communicate well with them makes me a bit uneasy.

I'm also not keen on pet spiders, not because I have an issue with spiders but because I think I prefer them in the wild. :p

I would own most other animals if it was within my means to do so. I enjoy reptiles, fish, rodents, rabbits, chins, ferrets etc.. I like dogs and cats and cows and horses and pigs and outdoor birds like chickens.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Parrots are a DEFINITE no for me! I am terrified of large birds after being landed on by two macaws at the zoo once. I was 5 and it was awful 90s fashion and I had these big fruit designs on my shorts and the birds landed on my butt and started trying to eat my shorts. Long story short, it was terrifying and my dad almost got kicked out of the zoo for grabbing one of the parrots to get it off of me.

Anyways, no birds. Ever.

Members online

No members online now.