Do you ever plan on breeding?

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Like BigPoodlePerson said, I'd co-own a male with someone I trusted who wanted to be able to use him as a stud (provided I had say in the matter), but the thought of owning the female, having the pups, finding homes that I could trust, and being responsible for those pups for the next twelves years? THERE IS NOT ENOUGH XANAX IN THE WORLD.
This.

I suppose I might foster a pregnant dog if need be . . . I've certainly been present at enough canine births to feel comfortable enough with having a bitch whelp . . . but really, I'd rather pass on the responsibility if possible.

AliciaD

On second thought...
I may breed a litter, but I wouldn't consider myself a breeder.

Like, maybe a litter every 10 years, because of a special dog that has a certain something.

My current dogs are mutts, and altered, so no breeding for them!

Yes, I've felt that with all that I have spent over the years in researching I shouldn't waste it! I know I could do better for a breed, and I plan to someday.
If so, do you plan on breeding any of your current dogs?

Have you ever bred before?
That is up in the air. Yes, I have an intact bitch, she is also currently in season and it's bugging the daylights out of everyone! She likes to stuff herself in front of the boys every chance she gets and they just have no interest (Jinj did last time, a LOT of it, but after the first day this time, I don't think he's doing good right now with all his health problems and just wants her to bug off). She's only just 2, so I have a lot of plans still left before we get to even thinking about breeding at all. At this point, I can't say no, as a for sure, because we don't know. Next up, is health testing! I also have a fun year planned out with hopefully Rally, and starting in some real Agility training. I'm also hoping to find someone with ducks we can train with (since the sheep didn't work out...no they are not your friends!).

Nope. I've still got a few or several years to go. Someday I want to, but for now there are to many other things I've involved myself with. I also personally, for my first love, would like to try and work in rescue with Corgi's, before I dive into breeding with them. I actually at this point have stopped looking at breeders altogether, as I've always told myself, I'd rather wait till I'm A(in the right situation, and B(can find just the right, exacts lines with looks and temperament I'm looking for (as well, I've also now had to add to my list of Pems, NO C-SEC BREEDERS! They are a recent rampant problem, and danger to the breed, I refuse to support or perpetuate them). I would like to in the future, get more serious in Pems, but until then, it just hurts me more that with all the puppymills and BYB's, and I'd rather help put them out of business, or at least as much as I can, before I dive into my perfect breeding program to help salvage the aspects of the breed I find important.

And yes, that is another topic in itself, those puppy buyers. That is for me, the biggest reason not to breed. Trying to find the right buyers for my puppies (you'll probably never find perfect, but getting as close as you can), it's a tough issue. I don't know as I'd feel as bad, being forced into placing an other wise near perfect dog in a neutering pet home (although it will be tough!), as it would be to find out a near perfectly conformed puppy with excellent temperament and a lot of promise wound up going to some backyard breeder! It has happened to breeders before, no matter how hard you screen, and I really can't take the thought of it happening to a poor puppy I brought into this world.

I had wanted to breed Terra. She's a dual CH, health-tested and working titled. I have a feeling the other circumstances are never going to fall in line. But in the future, yes, I'd like to breed a litter once in a while. I don't want a whole program, but if I get a nice dog that I feel can make that contribution back to the breed, yes. I'm okay with whelping the litter, or with providing the stud. I would never do it unless I wanted to keep a puppy, though.

Last edited:

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Probably not, but who knows what the future may bring. If I get my future Ibizan from the litter I've been considering then it would be a co-ownership situation so that dog may be bred by the breeder at some point.

I'll be completely honest.... I would give my left leg if I could breed Cricket and end up with a puppy with her temperament. She is such an amazing dog and she has exactly what I could ever want in a dog temperament wise. Alas she is a mixed breed and I wouldn't want to go through all the trouble and keep one pup only to have to find homes for the rest. Too much stress and there are plenty of mixed breeds in shelters needing homes already. **** my morals hahaha.

Shakou

At this point in time, no. Marlin is still intact and is purebred, but is definitely not breed standard. Not to mention, I sure as hell don't have the time, money, or space to breed right now. Someday, if the right situation and circumstances come my way, then yes, I'd like to get into breeding. But not at this point in my life with these dogs.

Sometimes I kick myself for getting Charlotte spayed, and admittedly for very selfish reasons. She's a mutt of some kind and to the eye of others that don't know her, nothing special or extraordinary, but let's just say she's one in a million. Once she's gone, she's gone. There will never be another dog like her. Yes, I know I'll adopt another dog after she's gone and love them for who they are to, but they won't be Charlotte. Atleast with one of her puppies, a part of her would always be with me, even if they aren't like her.

But then again, that puppy wouldn't live forever either. Then what? Would I breed that one to? And the one after that, and keep adding more and more mixed breed puppies that only have value to ME just to keep a part of Charlotte alive? In the end, sensibility always wins out, and I'm glad we did the right thing by getting her spayed. I'll just cherish the time I have with her.

Last edited:

GoingNowhere

I seriously doubt I'll ever be a dog breeder, but I've toyed with the idea of fostering a pregnant female for my rescue at some point when I'm able.

I think that it would be great to be able to raise a litter from birth and I know that most people aren't willing or able to foster, let alone foster a pregnant animal. But who knows - right now, I'm going to stick to fostering a singleton or litter of two already adoption age puppies.

So no, unlikely I'll ever breed a dog, but maybe raise a litter...

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I've thought about it, mainly because I LOVE having babies around. Granted, my experience has been with foster kittens, but gosh I just love it. I'm actually really hoping this spring we have more bottle babies come into the clinic so I can foster one again. Is that bad of me to wish for orphaned baby kittens? :eek:

If I'm ever in the position to really focus on breeding (aka, start my own lines and such), I'd like to do it with Labradors. The type of Lab I like and what I think is appropriate doesn't seem to be very common around here and I would love to make that contribution to the breed. But, I figure IF that were to happen, it wouldn't happen for some time. Like, two or more decades. Honestly, though, I don't think I would want to handle all of the work that would come with that.

I wouldn't mind breeding an occasional litter, though, out of a quality dog. Either via using the male as a stud or having a litter with one of my females. If I end up getting a Tamaskan down the line (high possibility due to the kind of dog Mike likes) then I would be very interested in obtaining a breeding quality dog and having a litter or two. Tamaskans are such a new breed I would actually find it very interesting to be involved with its development.

What I definitely wouldn't mind doing, though, is fostering a pregnant dog and then raising the pups and adopting them out. The only bad thing about that is if the pups aren't adopted due to breed/color/what have you and them I'm stuck with the guilt that "my" puppies are still in the shelter/rescue system. I know I'd want to hang on to them until they are adopted, but that may not be feasible. Not to mention I'd probably want to hang on to the momma until she's adopted. Having them go back to the shelter after the whelp/weaning stage wouldn't thrill me at all.
Another option that I think would be kind of neat would be to foster a breeding mom (or dad) for a service dog organization. But not being able to keep any of the puppies would kill me. LOL And I'm also not fond of the whole "you really don't own this dog" kind of thing.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Yes I've thought of it my whole life lol. I've always wanted to be a dog breeder, and those who knew me when I first joined know that, and know how stubborn I was about pursuing that dream even if I was undereducated and young and stupid. I did breed a few litters of mixed breed puppies. I realize now of course I was wrong and and should've listened to the advice being given to me online. I don't think I regret it at all though. We werelucky enough to find them good homes, and we got Lucy. I miss her dearly and she was a beautiful part of my life. I saved up $1,500 of my own money (believe I was 14 or 15 at the time) to buy a "ch. bloodline" Yorkie, Dixie, that I hoped to show and breed. Of course she ended up too small IMO to breed so we decided not to do either. And her lines weren't as good as I thought they were.

Anyway, I don't know that I'd ever breed in the future. It's something I think about. I loved it. I loved watching the birth, raising the puppies, etc. But I can get that enjoyment AND help save lives by fostering pregnant mama dogs. So that's my hope for the future. And someday if I do enough research and am willing to do it right, maybe I'll breed dogs (talking like 20+ years from now).

Maxy24

I have no interest in breeding, but I think I would really enjoy fostering a pregnant dog/litter/litter with mom. But I don't want to own a bunch of dogs and put together a breeding program. Plus I'd rather be involved in rescue, I'm not head over heels for any particular breed.

I've teased with the thought of breeding cats in the future because I don't think there are many cat breeders breeding for anything other than conformation. I'd really like to make more cats that are like Neko in temperament but with more of Willie's playfulness and a body type somewhere between. I have exactly what I want in my head. I'd have them all be therapy cats to prove they are social, tolerant, and very stable and adaptable. If Neko had been socialized to going to new places he would be an AWESOME therapy cat, anyone who sits on our couch, especially new people, gets a lap pal for the night, he just sits beside you with his front leg and head on your thigh. I've brought him to elementary schools and he is not afraid of the kids at all but dislikes being in the new environment. But yeah, it'll never actually happen, I don't want a bunch of intact cats, I don't want a bunch of cats period, just a couple. I'd be willing to foster cat litters as well.

I might breed some sort of rodent though, if I'd be able to find homes. Either gerbils or rats, I haven't owned rats yet though, so I'd have to give them a try first. I wonder if it's hard to find rodent's new homes.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
If all works out for this Aussie puppy, then there is the possibility of using him as a stud, pending all the necessities. I've entertained the idea, mostly through the desire to see certain bloodlines kept alive and kickin', though I don't know how absolutely serious I actually am about that. I'd like to foster a pregnant dog though.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Heavens no!

I don't like puppies THAT much. And I am too lazy to put in the effort it takes, plus I don't "do stuff" with my dogs, so they would never have titles or anything cool to show that they're "worth it."

So nope. Definitely not crossing that bridge, I'll leave it to the folks that have an interest in it. :p

kady05

Pending health testing results, and as long as I can find a suitable bitch, I do plan on breeding Sako. We'll see :)

And.. baby Sako with Daddy..

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
Yes I have breed a litter from Sheena and they are doing great. One is a mobility Service dog and one works with an autistic boy. The rest are in pet homes. I defiantely do plan to breed agian in the future and I am hoping the girl coming to our home in June will work out with the healthy tests, temperment, intelligence, structure and so on to breed potential Service Dog Candidates from.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Pending health testing results, and as long as I can find a suitable bitch, I do plan on breeding Sako. We'll see :)

And.. baby Sako with Daddy..

THIS BREEDING MUST HAPPEN! :D
I want a Sako puppy so badly, its insane lol

But other than my input on Sako *cough cough*, I have no desire to breed. I will leave that to the others who have the desire/interest/experience.

Red Chrome

I have bred my GSD. He is completely health tested and working on some more titles. It was his first breeding and it produced 10 puppies, 7 live and ALL bitches. I placed most of them through myself since I am a little more picky than the bitches owner was. They are lovely lovely dogs and doing VERY well at their intended bvenues.

However, I had to "repo" one recently. Not exactly an easy thing to do but I did it because that is my puppy produced and he breached contract. I rehomed the bitch on a co-own to a very good friend.

My advice have an iron clad contract, I mean IRON CLAD. They come in handy, even the homes that check out well and look to be awesome are sometimes not what they appear to be down the road.

Also, my males litter had a puppy come up with Mega-E, no one knows a whole lot about it, so right now, I am researching and working with some other breeders to decide what to do, neuter, never breed again, try another litter etc. I at this point am uncomfortable about using him since he did help to produce the pup affected. Time will tell what we will do. I have a waiting list with 10 people on it waiting for me to make up my mind about the outcome of using him again.

I can say that he out produced himself and his puppies are extremely nice working dogs.

Members online

No members online now.