Sunny almost caught a groundhog

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
:eek: We were walking along our normal path and out of nowhere this big ol' groundhog ran across the trail. Sunny was more then delighted and I was just plain startled, as he was only a few feet ahead of us. Sunny (of course ) chased him. Well...not so much chased as followed since mr. groundhog wasn't going too fast. Sunny was only a few inches behind him trying to smell his butt. :rolleyes: (I guess he thought it was another dog?!) anyway I yelled "leave it" and after a good long sniff and forlorn look at the groundhog then back at me, he trotted back to my side. Silly puppy. Rabbits he can chase and I'm not too worried, and deer, I KNOW can outrun him but this is the closed wild thing he has come to catching. I think it coulda done him some harm as he was Sunny's length, and chubby. Poor Sunny...I really think he just wants to make friends with everything. Ah well, he'll have his li'l sis coming home to live with him tomorrow, and she's close enough to the groundhogs size he should be happy :D (Daisy the basset puppy for those of you who forgot :) )

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
wow that was what i was thinking..a bit big for sunnypup to take on..glad he just wanted to make friends! He better stick to rabbits in the future..that is unless he meets a jack rabbit..wonder what he would think of that!

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
smkie said:
wow that was what i was thinking..a bit big for sunnypup to take on..glad he just wanted to make friends! He better stick to rabbits in the future..that is unless he meets a jack rabbit..wonder what he would think of that!
LOL yeah...I think he would turn tail and RUN back to me :D (my brave little baby :rolleyes: )

LOL! Sunny is a nice, nice pup! And a lucky one! My bunch calls a groundhog 'fast food!' Groundhogs really can run suprisingly fast, and can hurt a dog very badly when cornered. And they can climb!

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
yeah...I sorta freaked out. The groundhog didn't seem too concerned but Sunny was mightily annoyed he couldn't follow his new friend :rolleyes: How does one teach a dog that not EVERYTHING is friendly?! At camp over the weekend he made friends with, no joke, a minature horse. He tried to get it to chase him from the other side of the fence, lol. He did his little play posture and barked. The horse just stared at him like he was a crazy thing (he is, btw) and chewed on her hay. Then he decided that wasn't working, so went over to where her head was sticking through the fence, and started nuzzling and kissing her nose! He cleaned her mouth, her nose, and jumped up onto the second rung of the fence to reach her eyes and ears. She just sat there patiently and let it all go on. Sunny was again mightily upset with me when I wouldn't allow him to enter the pasture with her, her mate (not a breeding pair, just male mini horse that happened to be there) a sheep and two goats. He just sat there and stared and stared at his new buddy all forlorn that they couldn't romp together. I tried to explain that if she romped or kicked too hard he would be one hurt pup but he didn't seem to care. Sigh. :)

Members online