Does anybody want this dog?

GoingNowhere

It's not too often that I fall head over heels for a dog like I did for this sweet girl. I'm back at school and suffering from extreme dog withdrawal, so I took myself and my boyfriend to the animal shelter to walk dogs the other day. While we were there we met this girly and took her for a walk.

She's not much to look at - cute, but maybe not the most stunning dog that I've ever seen. But I took one look at her in her kennel and said to my boyfriend, "now that's a good dog."

In her kennel she was quiet and unassuming, but you could tell she just wanted attention. No barking, no bouncing up and down... just sitting there at the front of the kennel looking at us. When we went to pet her through the bars of the kennel, she turned sideways like a cat to let us rub her neck.

She's timid - definitely a "soft" dog, but while most of the dogs that I've ever walked at the shelter are more concerned about being FREE and getting to smell all of the new smells outside, this little nameless girl wanted nothing more than to be as close as possible to one of us. She doesn't walk very well on a leash - not because she pulls, but because she's a bit like walking a mexican jumping bean - much like a puppy who's never walked much on a leash before. That said, EVERY time we kissed at her to come closer or called her, she scooted right to us for pets and stopped thinking about the leash. By the end of the walk, she was mostly walking in a straight line.

At one point my boyfriend was crouched down to pet her and she knocked him over into the snow and crawled into his lap and then curled up in a little ball there.

Can you tell I want this dog?

I went back to visit her yesterday as well, but didn't walk her because there were plenty of other dogs who needed the walk more and I felt bad asking to take out one that had recently been walked.

She's in a small ruralish kill shelter. I wish wish wish I could have my own dog right now.

She appears to be a medium/small farm collie mix and seems to be young - my rough guess would be ~ a year or a little less. She was only marked as available on Janurary 18th, so hopefully she still has quite a bit of time on her, but who knows.

I apologize that the photos will be huge:

somebody help her??

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Where's she located at? A friend of mine is looking for a female hiking buddy and this girl sounds like she might be a possible match.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Hmm that's not too horribly far from central NC - does she have a petfinder link I can send my friend?

GoingNowhere

She's not on petfinder yet - I've been checking. It's *possible* that she was adopted today, but much more likely that they just haven't gotten around to putting her up yet. If your friend is really interested I can drive by the shelter tomorrow to see if she's still there.

The link to the shelter is this:

http://www.nrvanimalshelters.com/Montgomery/index.htm

If your friend were to call and ask about a "1 year old, female collie mix that arrived as a stray on 1/12" the shelter staff should know the dog (I didn't see any other collie mixes there). Funny thing is, she is listed as a "stray" found at the "shelter" on her card. Apparently she was found along with one other dog - presumably a brother... my best guess is that someone dumped the two of them there and left.

GoingNowhere

I literally just answered your question, but it said a mod would have to approve my post. Wrote more earlier - I'm running out the door now. Long story short, she's not on petfinder, probably because she's new, not b/c she got adopted (she wasn't up yesterday or the day before either).

Link to the shelter is here:

http://www.nrvanimalshelters.com/Montgomery/index.htm

If your friend calls asking about a 1 year old female collie mix that arrived on 1/12, the staff should know the dog! If your friend is really interested, I could drive by tomorrow to see that she's still there.

I would love that dog, but my boyfriend? I'm about a dog away from my body being found in a dumpster. I wil cross post her, though. Reddit is actually a good place to post dogs in the rescue dog and city specific subs.

GoingNowhere

I would love that dog, but my boyfriend? I'm about a dog away from my body being found in a dumpster. I wil cross post her, though. Reddit is actually a good place to post dogs in the rescue dog and city specific subs.
Thanks so much! Crossposting would be great!

noludoru

Bored Now.
I'll be driving out west in February. If she needs a lift, let me know. She is NOT a dog that should get stuck in a shelter. :(

GoingNowhere

No, she's not a dog that deserves that. Not that many of them do, but she literally had the BEST personality.

GoingNowhere

Good new guys - I think this little girl has a guardian angel.

I went back to walk dogs today and talked with the staff who said that she was adopted yesterday! :)

I look forward to meeting the other dog that came in with her (possibly related, maybe just a friend dog)to see if he's as endearing as she was. He's still currently at the vet being treated.

GoingNowhere

Looks like I got some misinformation from the shelter. The little dog was transferred to rescue, not adopted. I was on petfinder the other day and saw her again.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/25286972

So, if anyone wants a wonderful, sweet little girl dog, I'm plugging for her. She has a nice new description now - looks like her foster thinks she's easy to train and would make a good potential off-leash hiking or walking buddy.

I don't know how she's still available!

That's so sad. I have a co-worker looking, but I don't think she is ready for a dog yet, but I'm going to share the petfinder page with her anyway.

ETA: I was just thinking of this girl last week when my co-worker was talking about possibly getting a dog.

Last edited:

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
She's in Southwest VA, close to Blacksburg.
Oh god :S I wish I was closer ... I would take her & bring her out to the ranch to at lest foster her til a more perminant home was found.

She sounds a lot like buddy in many ways ... Maybe call around to the rescues or SPCA's in the general area even if she isn't pure bred she might be close enough to one breed for them to take but many breed specific rescues will if its urgent take mixes , I know the cattle dog rescue here does that sometimes.

I really wish I could take her but I am in Texas :(

Edit: I will share her petfinder page on my FB & see if I can network her a little bit ... I have a lot of rescue friends that might be able to help or will at least share her.

Members online

No members online now.