Who here feeds raw?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
It is time consuming! Lol we go to Woodys for our cat food... I hate thawing those tubs and putting it all in separate containers. Its not exciting like prey model. :p
And my 12lb cat goes through 10lbs every 3 weeks. The jerk.

I used to feed Juno raw but my awesome family put a stop to that. I liked feeding it because IMO that's what they should eat, but I didn't notice a difference in her aside from the size of her poop. But the kibble she's on now gives her pretty small poops too lol so were happy again.
LOL! I'm lucky that I have 4 tupperware containers that are made for the freezer and the 5 pound Bravo roll/5 pound Woodys container fits *perfectly* between the 4 containers. And yeah, it's annoying to wait, especially when you get started and then realize the middle/bottom is still solid :p

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
For me, feeding raw is only time-consuming when I initially buy the food. I separate everything into bags, enough to feed both of my dogs for one day. It takes an hour or so to cut up and bag weeks of meals.

I have bags of pureed veggies and organs that I only have to thaw out once a week. Basically, it's just waiting an hour or so for it to thaw in warm water or overnight in the fridge. When I feed pre-made I just give them a few frozen chunks. It's SUPER easy and I enjoy doing it.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Yeah, but now whenever you are weighing meat you can't go "Ooooo FAAAHNCY, look at my FAAAAAHNSY scale, oooooo" in fancy accents. :/

Cthulhu7

Mitch & Erin
Could someone link to a good site to get raw on a budget? Cthulhu loves his kibble but if i can get raw for the same price or less I'd like to

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Could someone link to a good site to get raw on a budget? Cthulhu loves his kibble but if i can get raw for the same price or less I'd like to
I think it's more about the "secret raw handshake" than an actual website. My raw sources don't ship.... I have to drive 2 hours for my poultry, or occasionally meet them in a random parking lot to do some sneaky raw meat deals! My beef source is 7 hours away.

Even being on the raw internet lists, it can be hard to find good deals. I wish there was a way around it, but I haven't found a way. The only reason I am able to feed raw is because I somehow learned the "secret handshake" - got my beef source's contact info from someone in the Schutzhund club, and the poultry source's contact info from someone in my Obedience club.

M

MyHorseMyRules

I sell raw food, and we deliver to Austin about once a month. So if you have freezer space to stock up, send me a message.

Not uncommon.... intact male dobes seem to have the caloric intake requirements of Michael Phelps.
I'm going to have to start using that for Boone. lol Everyone already thinks he's a dobe mix. He eats just over 3lbs/day, and he's only 60-65lbs.

monkeys23

I feed raw. Love it, they both do so much better on it.

Scout ate 2-4 cups of kibble a day... depending on how much she was burning through with her anxiety issues (which has leveled out with time in a stable home, but she still has her good days and bad). Lily has always been thrifty, but was having some health issues on a rotation of very good food, which raw fixed quickly and easily... when my vet had no good answer for me. :rolleyes:

They both eat around 1lb a day, Scout a little over and Lily a little under usually. And Scout's teeth are completely different now, they look so good.
Both put on some more muscle, but are still within their ideal weight ranges.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
We feed like 90% Raw.
We keep a bag of kibble around, there are just those DAYS you know? Nothing is thawed, we forgot to shop, there is a dog sitter who won't touch meat, late for work/school.. so we figure it's best to have the dogs used to both. Although we DON'T do raw/kibble on the same day (digestive tract speed issues with doing both)

Personally, partial raw has worked well for us. The dogs look great and honestly, even with our tiny freezer, we have chinatown close by so buying small amounts of meat more often isn't that big of a deal.

and I love how long it takes them to eat haha

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I agree with Sizzle's "secret raw handshake" statement. The best sources I've found so far have been from things like...a coworker learned I fed raw and knew someone from her old office who did too and we were all the same meeting one time and chatted and she gave me the name of some of her steady sources though I think she also has a couple local-to-her-house butchers who save her scraps that she didn't mention...lol.

Members online