Oh no...poor Chulita.

Doberluv

Chulita and Jose` both had a vet appointment today to have their anal glands squished because I knew they were plugged up from all the scooting they've been doing. I was unable to extract anything when I tried it myself. Weird, because I had done it before with Lyric. Anyhow, so I took them in and all is well in that area.

The vet asked me if Chuli's eye was always watery and I told her sometimes, but I had thought it was allergies or irritation from dust and pollen, that she had always kind of tended toward that but it wasn't constant or anything. Then she asked if I had noticed that her left pupil is larger than the other and I had not. I am the WORST, most unobservant dog Mom ever. I feel like a major jerk. I've been in the medical field and everything and I didn't notice this and didn't think much of the watering. Not only is her pupil larger, but it is also not totally round. It's geometric kind of, with a flat area on top and a flat angle on the upper side, indicating a possible prolapse somewhere. She said she would check the pressure and sure enough, it is too high in that eye. The other eye is normal.

So, she may have glaucoma and maybe even something wrong with her retina or some other structure. She gave me some eye drops (steroid) to use for a week and will re-check the pressure in one week. Then if need be, we'll have to see an ophthalmologist in Spokane. She may well wind up losing her eye. I know they're adaptable and everything, but it is just so very sad to me. My little gal is getting old and while she appears in such good shape otherwise, this is such a bum deal. :(

Oh, and she said that this pressure usually causes excrutiating pain. Now, Chuli has always had little intermittent episodes where she'd shake and quiver a bit, which I attributed to either being cold or nervous about something. But lately, the shaking may have been a sign of pain and I also brushed that off because it was almost normal to dumb me. She has been chipper, playful and normal acting except for occassional quivering but it seemed to only coincide with somewhat scary things. One thing I did notice and was going to have her eyes checked for a cataract was that her behavior has been a little off when we were in Seattle. While she has always been very sociable and would go right up to all kinds of people to be friendly, she seemed a bit skittish and more afraid of other things. And when we walked, she would sometimes plant her feet and refuse to go. I mentioned that in another thread a while back. I suspected her eye sight was not great, thinking a cataract and that everything might be more blurry. Well, now I know that this vision situation has to be the cause of her behavioral changes. I was in Seattle for about 3 weeks. I should have taken her to a vet there when I noticed her being particularly scaredy cat about a lot of things.

I feel so rotten how I didn't notice this earlier. If I had, maybe this could have been better controlled. I'm not sure. But it could be that she could have avoided pain, if she is indeed in pain.

I hope these drops will ease the pressure and reduce the fluid build-up and soon. Then we'll have to find out what is really going on. It just sucks when dogs get old and things start going wrong. :(

Gosh, this is long. If you read it all, you get a cookie.

Doberluv

Thank you Danefied. I don't think she's going to get better. The pain, if she has it will get better, if not from treatment, then surgery to remove her eye. But I think the damage is most likely done. I feel just awful. I don't know if noticing sooner would have made a difference or not. I haven't really found out yet, for sure what all the issues are...if they're inherent in some dogs or what. Poor little girl. I love her so much.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Poor Chulita :( You are not a bad doggy mommy! It happens. My friend didn't notice Rage had quills sticking out of her chin when he dropped her off ;)

Saeleofu

Eyes change so fast. The watering may have had nothing to do with the other stuff going on, and the other stuff may not have been there very long. Try not to feel too horrible about it. I saw someone come in with a dog with an ulcer that had gone completely through the cornea and the iris was protruding from the hole, and they didn't notice it was wrong. So no, you are not the worst ;)

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Oh poor girl! Vibes for her and keeping her eye. You are not a bad mom, these things happen and dogs are really stoic.

Taqroy

((((hugs)))) I think it's normal for us to feel like terrible parents when something like this happens. It is NOT your fault, dogs are tricksy little things and it's incredibly hard to pick up on a behavior change that isn't out of the ordinary. I hope they can help Chuli!!

Doberluv

Well....we'll see how these drops do...if they reduce the pressure at least. I'll report back next week. Probably after that, I'll have to take her to the ophthalmologist if I want to know the details of what is wrong exactly and what should be done. I guess if she loses the one eye, she'll still have the other one and hopefully nothing goes wrong with that one. Thank you for your kind replies. I guess my own eye sight isn't as good as it use to be that I couldn't notice that difference in the size/shape of her pupil. I mostly just want any pain to stop and I hope these drops hurry up and work.

I saw someone come in with a dog with an ulcer that had gone completely through the cornea and the iris was protruding from the hole, and they didn't notice it was wrong
Sael...that sounds awful. Was it very obvious? Did it stick out? Chuli's surface of her eye still looks flat.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Awww, poor girl :( You are definitely not a bad mom!

Please keep us updated on her!

((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))) and ((((((((((((((VIBES)))))))))))))) sent for both of you!

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
You are no way a bad doggy mom.

I would not have noticed the abnormal eye either, unless it was really obvious or there was something protruding from it.

Get better soon little Chulita <3

Doberluv

Well, Jess...they ARE indeed pretty good at disguising their troubles....instinct to keep predators from noticing their weakness, which makes them sitting ducks. And I think they're very good at adapting to rotten situations, something we humans would do well to emulate. I just hope I can keep that in mind as I can't help but feel so sorry for her. Thanks so much.

AliciaD

On second thought...
Aw!! Sorry! ~~~vibes~~~

I don't think you are a bad owner! You can keep beating yourself up, but you are going to do right by her now that you know.

Saeleofu

Sael...that sounds awful. Was it very obvious? Did it stick out? Chuli's surface of her eye still looks flat.
Yeah, it was pretty obvious. The eye was clouded over, red, and there were insides popping out of it ;)

Doberluv

Awwww...poor dog. I wonder if it caused great pain. Well, I don't know if these drops are taking effect or not yet. She's had 4 doses so far, due for her morning one for today in a couple hours. It's 2x a day. How long do these steroid drops take to work...to reduce pressure, do you know? (if they'll work) I forgot to ask. I'm just counting down the days till next Thurs. when she gets re-checked for pressure.

Snark

Mutts to you
Aw, poor little girl! Hope the drops work! (And I agree with everyone else, you're NOT a bad dog mom... Bad would be knowing there's a problem and ignoring it...)

Brattina88

Well, Jess...they ARE indeed pretty good at disguising their troubles....instinct to keep predators from noticing their weakness, which makes them sitting ducks. And I think they're very good at adapting to rotten situations, something we humans would do well to emulate. I just hope I can keep that in mind as I can't help but feel so sorry for her. Thanks so much.
Dogs do soooo well at hiding when they are not feeling well, ugh...

Good dog mommy having vet check ups to catch this sort of thing! ;)

{{{{+++get well soon vibes+++}}}

Members online

No members online now.