Momma Dog Tragity

BagelDog

Not crazy...
As you may or may not know, I volunteer at an animal shelter. I have for around 3 years. Just recentally, the shelter got in a very pregnant but very sweet pitt bull. She had been bred to a boxer. This past weekend she was due anytime, her temerature dropping but not puppies. She was flea infected, so I gave her a good bath with a soap that kills fleas, but is safe to use on pregnant dogs or even newborns. She was so sweet, and just stood there for the bath, enjoying getting rid of those fleas.

2 days ago, with still no puppies, one of the ladies at the shelter took her to the vet. They gave her labor inducing drugs, but the puppies were huge, so nothing happened. They preformed a c-section yesterday, resulting in 7 healthy puppies. The mom seemed fine for a bit, then bled out. The vet came out to tell the shelter lady that the mom was gone. Everyone was shocked. Now were stuck bottle feeding 7 newborn puppies who did'nt get an colostrum from there mom, so they can get sick from just about anything.

Just let that be a note of warning before anyone inexperienced tries to breed there dog. So many things can go wrong, and you can be stuck with many vunerable newborns that require round the clock feedings and a lots of time and money...

....and missing your adorable little dog that you loved so much you just had to breed.

R.I.P Honey, who would have made an excellent mother given the chance​

Adrienne

That is so sad...poor mama, all that torment only to end up like that. I wish your shelter luck in taking care of the little ones. Anyway they can find a "surrogate" mama for the little pups? Maybe spread a few around to a couple of new moms?

Barb04

Super Moderator
What a sad ending. I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope the puppies will do okay.

bubbatd

I agree, couldn't the word go out to vets and try to find another lactating bit*hes ??

BagelDog

Not crazy...
They sent out an email, and emailed boxer rescue. We hope boxer rescue will take them since there part boxers, but when the shelter lady emailed yesterday, it was too late in the day, so we wernt expecting replies until today. Ill have to ask my b/f who volunteers there, becasue I didnt go today.

Great post even though its a sad one, I hope it will make those people who breed crosses think first, alougth i doubt it

So sad that Mamma Honey passed away. Poor girl. I hope the pups can be saved and be healthy without their Mamma's milk and lovin'. God bless you for being so involved...

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I think a little bit of immunity is passed to the pups through the placentas anyway, but it is so much better if they do have a chance to nurse on the colostrum. Good luck finding wet nurses!

Members online

No members online now.