Avoid tennis balls & nylabones

Barb04

Super Moderator
Note: nylon-based chew toys, such as NylaBone™ are too hard and can actually cause tooth fracture in some avid chewers. Additionally, owners should avoid the use of tennis balls for chewing as these are very abrasive and cause significant teeth wear.

This was taken from the following website:

www.newmanveterinary.com/DentalProblems.html

I also saw in a puppy training tape where they say the glue on the tennis balls erodes the enamel on their teeth only let puppies play with tennis balls until their mature teeth start coming in.

Debi

Wow, that's good to know. We've always played with tennis balls because they're not too heavy. Addie catches a fly ball that would amaze any baseball recruiter....and she does it without steroids! ;) Would just a rubber ball be good then? Seems that would get destroyed in no time.......anyone know??

candy722

What's good for the to chew? I noticed alot of people use Kong for chew toys and im actually considering buying one for TOki. Any advice on any other toys to get for my boy as chew toy?

pitbulliest

I was thinking of giving my pittie some raw bones to chew...I'm just not aware of the safety hazards....and I have never given anything "raw" to my dogs..can anyone inform me more about raw bones?

JRT_Rattie_Mom

Terrier Lover!
What about Greenies??

Okay.. when I went to buy dog food last week... they had a box of "Greenies" on the checkout counter (packaged as stocking stuffers) and finally decided to "splurge" and buy a .99 cent tiny Greenie for both dogs, since I've heard so many people at the dog park go on about how much their dogs love these things! I forgot about them until a few days ago, and when the girls were bugging me when I was trying to do something... got the Greenies out of the sack and gave one to each dog. Lucy grabbed hers, and then got this "Greenie coma look" to her face... (and even being blind) went straight over to Holly's Greenie (which she hadn't yet picked up... since Holly is very calm and slow in doing anything... and is nothing like Lucy!) and grabbed Holly's Greenie in her mouth as well... and then RAN down the hallway to my office (running head on into the closed door (thinking it was open!) and when she found the door closed... ran wildly down the rest of the hallway to find another open room to go and hide the "prized Greenies" in! This is SOOOO not like Lucy! What are they putting in those Greenies???? I took Holly's Greenie back, giving it to Holly, and they both ate them up lickity split... and loved 'em... but no way are they getting these all the time! I don't need a blind JRT running crazy in a Greenie coma all over the house to hide them!

Also.... just recently bought some NylaBone's for the girls... they won't have anything to do with them! Before that, bought the the Orbee bones... same thing... they won't touch em! They just want rawhides, cow hooves or pigs ears to chew... (and don't go into Greenie fits with these!) they are just not going to settle on these "fake" chew things!

Also when I was bought the Orbee bones, I also thought I was buying Orbee "material" baseballs, but they are actually a fabric material... and both dogs LOVE these.. and so far (and I'm amazed!) these 2 balls are still in one piece after over a month... and they love them!

Wishing all the girls wanted for Christmas is their two front teeth! :D They don't believe me when I tell them I can't afford their picky lifestyle!!

Barb04

Super Moderator
I bought Orbee toys for my dogs. It took CJ about a month before she discovered the Orbee bone is her favorite toy. Even Max loves his Orbee. Sometimes I think it takes awhile for dogs to come around to new toys. For Christmas I ordered all kinds of Orbee sports toys for them. Max smells them in my closet and can't wait for Christmas to come so he can play. They are my children!

Members online

No members online now.