The Gambit Thread

Soo.....many things have been happening with the Coyboy, but I've held off on discussing them, because I've been too afraid to say anything and jinx what's been going on.

For those unfamiliar with my wee man, he was adopted as an aussie mix in December 2011. The truth that would later come out was that he was a BC/Coyote mix who was born to a feral mother who raised the babies feral until 16 weeks. The shelter then kept him until 6-8 months, depending on which of the three different birth months you choose to believe, and adopted him to me.

Since bringing him home, we've dealt with severe fear of strangers, new situations, and pretty much everything else. In 2.5 years, I brought him to a point where I could take him to work (at a doggy day care), though he did not allow strangers to touch him and frequently growled or barked at people he didn't know. Still, all things considered, that was wonderful progress, and I was pleased. We stopped seeing much progress, but he was a safe dog to be around.

That said, at home or with people he truste, you couldn't imagine a dog who was more fun and outgoing. After all, who wouldn't like to come home and find this waiting for them?

Yep, that's him on top of the fridge. That container next to him had been full of cat food that morning.

Ah, crap, hit send too soon.

Anyway, in the past few months, he's moved to a new daycare, and had his dose of meds fiddled with. Suddenly, I'm seeing progress again. In the past, it took around two weeks for him to warm to a new person. Now, it's two days. For the first time in his life, he's voluntarily approaching people if they ignore him. I never thought I would see the day when he walked up to a vet and touched the mans outstretched hand. It's like I'm seeing my dog reborn.

He no longer thinks the camera will steal his soul, either

People who have known him for years can't get over how much calmer and happier he is now. I had thought our time of making significant progress with his issues was over, but apparently not. While he is, and will always be, a special needs dog, the change from the semi-feral creature I brought home is nothing less then astounding

No life in his eyes, too afraid to even stand up. Miserable and unhealthy.

I don't know how far this new progress will go, but I'm enjoying every minute and every milestone that he reaches. I know that this is in part to maturity, and in part to his medication changes, but I could not have come this far with him without the support that you guys have given us. You have stuck with us and offered advice when I was at my very lowest with him, and we both thank you from the very bottom of our hearts.
URL=http://s702.photobucket.com/user/StillandSilent/media/AnimalPics284_zps5e525c5d.jpg.html]
[/URL]
He's finally figuring out what toys are, after much work (please excuse the crap spilling out of the end table. There was a Persian in a snit hiding in there)

Gambit today. Look at the way his eyes sparkle and how happy he is.

SpringerLover

1) He is an incredibly handsome dog!
2) I never knew his story!
3) He's so lucky that you've tried (and kept trying) to make his life better. I love that last picture! :)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
YAY GAMBIT!!

That's so awesome. I know how amazing it is to have positive changes in hard dogs. YAYAYAYAY! I'm ecstatic for you! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I love Gambit! I haven't posted much but I have been following his story and I'm SO happy to hear about his progress! I hope this means MANY more pictures of this beautiful guy! :)

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
I am glad to read this. It is an amazing thing when a dog comes out of a shell like that. I have experienced it with one of my cockers in the past. I am happy for you and Gambit :)

He is such a beautiful and unusual looking boy.

BostonBanker

This post just makes my heart warm. You have done such a phenomenal job with him. He's so lucky that he found his way into your life.

JacksonsMom

I was about to say WHY HAVE I NEVER SEEN PHOTOS OF THIS ADORABLE GUY?!?! Had no idea about his camera fear (my moms dog used to be, too). But wow, what progress, I am just so thrilled for you guys. What a good boy.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I'm so happy for you and Gambit! <3
I came to you about Fable being a suspected coydog, and I thank you for being so supportive and sharing your experience with Gambit. Fable is not great with people, though we're starting to get somewhere. Your experience with Gambit is really giving me hope.
Anyway, I didn't want that to be all about me, just wanted to let you know how you've helped!
Gambit is ridiculously gorgeous. I lurve him! <3 And proud of you both!

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
I am so happy, & proud for you guys.This post made my night.I haven't followed anything about Gambit, but now I will.I'm so glad you've made this far

Gambit is gorgeous, I love her

Thanks for all the support guys! His Coyness is currently out terrorizing crows in the snow, so I'm hoping he doesn't bring dinner home with him.

As a note about the last picture- Gambit does not have an underbite at all. His teeth are freaking enormous. The bottom canines are larger then the top one of any border collie I've ever seen and the tops almost peek out from is upper lip when he's relaxed. I'm guessing it comes from the coy, but darn Gambit!

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I just love that last picture :) SO happy that Gambit has made such wonderful progress - you are such an amazing owner!

Members online

No members online now.