How clean are your dog beds?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I think I have particularly mucky dogs as their beds get grubby so quickly!!!

We've battled with all manner of beds, but have finally settled on typical plastic beds with a cushion (meant to be water resistant....) With vet bed on the top. All fits in tge washing machine.

I see these gorgeous beds, and wish I could get them, but unless it all goes in the machine its no way!!!!

How do others fare???

teacuptiger

floor dancer
I have some cheap-o ones from Target that have fared about... a year and a half? Maybe two years so far? They're really nice beds though, four sides with a bit of a dip on one side. I wash them every month though cuz fleas aren't cool.

I also have a K&H Cuddle Cube from chewy.com that is really nice too, only the cover comes off though. It makes a huge mess of the dryer, so I may have to find a bag for it or something. Little tiny brown grossness in EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY of the dryer. Aside from that, I love the bed as well... it's Roxie's favorite.

The Target ones are my favorite, tbh. Roxie's are both small sized. Cuddle Cube is medium, though.

DJEtzel

I buy cheap Meijer beds, and replace them once every month or two, depending on wear/tear. I don't like dirty beds, none fair well in the washer, they stink... just an eye sore. :p

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
All of our dog beds are either totally washable mats or have removable covers. They get washed every couple of months I'd say. They are furry but not visibly dirty or smelly.

The current most used beds are a plastic pod bed with a Target pillow bed inside and a Kuranda bed I won at a flyball tournament with a Target pillow bed on top. LOL There are mats and blankets of various sorts in the dog's crates and a fleece cushion bed I made at the foot of our bed, too.

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
Mine are from Etsy, and since she primarily uses the couch or my bed they're really clean. :p They have covers, so I just pitch those in the wash once a month or so.

DJEtzel

Mine are from Etsy, and since she primarily uses the couch or my bed they're really clean. :p They have covers, so I just pitch those in the wash once a month or so.
I really need to invest in some beds with removable covers.

And pick them up when I have pissy puppies around. XD

I actually keep them pretty clean. They all have removable/washable covers, but I also usually cover them with a layer of sheet or piece of fleece from the fabric store, too, because that's where they usually chew their RMBs. The sheet/blanket is washed once or twice a week or after RMBs, the covers at least once a month. My house gets pretty doggie otherwise.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Very clean! They have a cot with blankets on top. Blankets get washed every couple weeks, cot gets wiped down. Easy peasy.

I don't like regular dog beds because of how gross they get.

DJEtzel

I actually keep them pretty clean. They all have removable/washable covers, but I also usually cover them with a layer of sheet or piece of fleece from the fabric store, too, because that's where they usually chew their RMBs. The sheet/blanket is washed once or twice a week or after RMBs, the covers at least once a month. My house gets pretty doggie otherwise.
A fleece blanket is a good idea. Those are harder to stain and wear through than the sheets I have used. :/

A fleece blanket is a good idea. Those are harder to stain and wear through than the sheets I have used. :/
Yea, and if you don't care what it looks like you can often find it really cheap at fabric stores, if they're near the end of a roll of it or it's a seasonal pattern whose season has passed.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
You should try vet bed, it's brilliant. Doesn't lose it's fluffiness, goes in the washing machine, dries really quickly.

And you can get it in all manner of colours and patterns!

DJEtzel

Yea, and if you don't care what it looks like you can often find it really cheap at fabric stores, if they're near the end of a roll of it or it's a seasonal pattern whose season has passed.
I do that aaaaaaall the time for dog blankets to put in crates... Remnants are the cheapest! I just usually cut them down to make more.

Elrohwen

By "dog bed" do you mean my own bed and couch? Because those aren't particularly clean anymore. :rofl1: At least the couches are leather and I can wipe them off. I just noticed muddy footprints all over my bed from yesterday.

I do have mats for the floor and the crate, and they're typically a mess. The one in the crate is covered in peanut butter from kongs after a day or two. They're from Mutt Matts and I love them. Super washable. Not very fluffy though if you're looking for that.

Slick

Kristina
My dog bed has a removeable waterproof and washable cover, so the actual bed is competely clean. The cover varies depending on the last time I have washed it. Right now...lets just say its been a while :lol-sign:

Oko

Silence, peasants.
All 3 dogs have beds from LL Bean with removable covers, so they stay quite clean. Now that Feist has stopped her compulsion to pee on beds, anyway.

GipsyQueen

Zora has pretty good bed - it's not pretty or anything, but it is a good quality bed. Theres really soft fleece on the actual cover, but since she does get durty often, and looses fur like there is no tomorrow, we just cover it with a baby bed cover to keep it clean.

Kootenay

I'm having such a hard time with the dog beds lately. I just use blankets in the bedroom for at night, since they are easier to wash. Jasper sometimes pees in his sleep at night so it makes it a lot easier to be able to throw the whole thing in the wash.

The beds in the living room get dirty quickly since we go out on big muddy hikes every day and Jasper especially gets sooo much dirt on his skirts and stuff, even if I rub him down when we get back.

And then worst of all, one of my cats has taken to peeing on the dog beds recently. The smell of cat pee is SO HARD TO GET OUT! I have removable covers but the actual bed is also smelly, it's awful. I used baking soda and vinegar and it still vaguely smells.

I need to buy all new beds and get waterproof covers for them. There is no where cheap to buy beds around here though, just little boutique type pet shops, and I haven't even found any really good deals online. Any suggestions?

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I need to buy all new beds and get waterproof covers for them. There is no where cheap to buy beds around here though, just little boutique type pet shops, and I haven't even found any really good deals online. Any suggestions?
I bought a waterproof dog bed cover at Target - don't know if there's one near you, but I think they sell them online and I think I paid all of $10 for mine.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I just vacuum mine once a week. Every so often I'll throw them in the wash but vacuuming seems to keep them pretty clean.

Michiyo-Fir

We have a velvety sort of cloth bed for Nia. Needless to say...it's not very clean, it's a bit yellow and brown and grey....and she threw up on it twice... we put it through the wash once in a while but it's still discolored lol.

That being said, she doesn't use it that much, and not at night because she sleeps upstairs in our beds so we haven't bothered to replace it.

Members online

No members online now.