BorderJacks and BorderStacks

Whipple

Apprentice in Training
I am looking to get a Sportster which is basically a Borderstack with Whippet mixxed in. They are specifically bred for sports such as agility, flyball, ect. And they excel at it.

Does anyone else have a simliar dog?

lizzybeth727

We think that one of our hearing dogs at work is a border collie/jack russel mix (she's from a shelter). She's FREAKISHLY smart and can outrun any dog (and we've seen her with some fast ones). She's about 25 pounds, and can jump straight up to my eye level.... she can easily scale our 6 foot fences. At a foster home she drug around a 5-foot palm tree in a pot (that the foster was about to plant), and the wrought-iron lawn frunature.... we never did figure out exactly why, but I'm sure it was something conniving. :) She does have a good off-switch, though, and mental workouts are a lot more important than physical workouts.

She's an amazing hearing dog, but we were afraid that we wouldn't have anyone on our waiting list who would be able to handle her, mentally or physically. Luckily we did find someone who will hopefully work for her, and they'll start training together in a few weeks. She would definately NOT work as "just" a pet dog, she needs daily stimulation - going to new places, meeting new people, learning new things, etc.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Umm what's a borderstack?!

All my performance dogs are mixes (one is a corgi/BC/JRT, the other is ACD/BC or GSD), but they both cost $55 at the local shelter. I adopted Z at 5.5mo and Kes at 4mo so I had an idea of personality and drives. Z finished her USDAA AD title in 4 days of trialling, Kes is still in training but showing tremendous promise.

I can't imagine taking such a risk in terms of final personality/size/body type with a multi-cross if I'm going to spend tons of $$$ to buy a dog, but that's just my own personal leaning.

Whipple

Apprentice in Training
A border stack is usually %50 border, %25 JRT and %25 Staffy. Although where my pup is coming from there is border terrier also. So it would be double border/borderjack/borderstaffy.

I've met a couple dogs from there, and they are amazing. All are CERF and BAER tested, and some are also hip and elbow tested. They are all raised in a very stimulating environment, and all have great tug drive. The breeder requires references, he will not place a dog if he does know someone you know, ect. And there is usually one of their pups on the top flyball teams.

I would pay what I plan on paying because of this. I want to be sure I am getting a healthy dog. And I can't be sure with a shelter dog. Although I do love shelter dogs, I don't want to have to wade through them to find a suitable dog. But in two years, if I did find a shelter dog that would fit, then great! But I would still be getting a puppy from this breeder.

I can't answer your actual question, but I am curious about why they breed the Staffie in? To increase drive or muscle? I'm not quite sure why that helps the mix.
I've heard really good things about borderjacks, but I've never met one.

Dekka

Just try me..
There are afew that to agility around here. They are crazy fast agility dogs. Adding staffie seems to keep height down and power up, with out loosing speed or drive.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I'll admit they intruige me but not so much as to actually get one. I'm so not a terrier person so I think I'll stick with pure bcs. I like their personalities much better.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I really like the idea of breeding for performance and creating new breeds that way, but for the love of god please come up with some better names!

That said, the "sportster" mix that the OP was talking about sounds really intriguing...

BostonBanker

I was drooling over both a border/staff and a border stack at the trial I just got home from. Very cool dogs, and I have no objections to them being bred responsibly. They are very specialized dogs, and I know most of the people breeding them are incredibly protective of them and who gets them.

The big question I had with them is that they don't seem to give you much advantage in the size. Both running this weekend were in the 22" class along with all the BCs. Perhaps the sizing is different in flyball? I know both these dogs are flyball dogs as well. I bet they'd be hard to beat if they could get in the 16" division.

lizzybeth727

The big question I had with them is that they don't seem to give you much advantage in the size. Both running this weekend were in the 22" class along with all the BCs. Perhaps the sizing is different in flyball? I know both these dogs are flyball dogs as well. I bet they'd be hard to beat if they could get in the 16" division.
The "borderjack" I know would probably jump 16". I haven't measured her... she's 25 lbs but kinda leggy.

I would think that adding an amstaff would only make them taller? I'm a little confused by that as well.

elegy

overdogged
the ones i'm familiar with are border collie x staffordshire bull terrier

Dekka

Just try me..
most of the borderstacks I know jump 16. What I meant by the height thing is that you can add power (for acceleration etc) with out adding height. The few staffies that run (the agility community has been known to turn a blind eye) seem to all run at 16..

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I don't know much about it. But GEEZE get a better name that doesn't involve other breeds name. Ugh.

Pops2

yeah it's kind of stupid to involve the otherbreeds' names as it might confuse someone or inform them of the breed history. just look how stupid a name bullterrier is.

Pops2

i am sorry but border jack makes perfect sense to me it gives some idea of the breeds involved & therefore some idea size, type & personality. now border stack is a little more difficult and a bit sillier, but what else do you call it if not a mix of the breed names?

BostonBanker

I believe the Border Stacks should be known as "Dynamos" based on the ones I've met! I wish my own computer was working - I got the coolest picture of one at the agility trial last weekend.

Members online

No members online now.