I need some tips everyone...

Adam

Hey everyone...Currently I am building a web site for a local animal shelter and I needs some pet tips for one of the pages..So if anyone would be so kind as to post some tips I would be much appreciative. :) Thanks in advance. :)

leaughxp

I think some good ones for dogs would be:
1. Avoid foods containg by-products

Lots of people end up feeding their dog low quality food and never know it (myself included) I found a good article once if I can find the address I'll post it and maybe you could link to it.

2. Research different breeds and consider which ones would best fit your lifestyle. Of course mixed breeds make wonderful pets too but it's a good to have an idea of what to look for as far as attention requirements, exercise, and grooming needs.

3. Enroll in traing classes, especially if you are a first time dog owner. Not only is it good socialization for the dog, it great learning for the owner in how to train the dog.

That's all I got for now, hope I helped.

TALK to your dog!

Get your dog used to having his/her paws and mouth handled.

Make sure your dog understands that food comes from you. Let your dog see you put it in the bowl and give it to him/her.

Give your dog a place that is a sanctuary. Dogs need a place to go where they will not be disturbed and no one will bother them when they need to get away.

Consider that older puppy or adult dog. They make great companions and it's not as time and labor intensive to acclimate the older dog into your routine as it is to get a young puppy trained and adjusted to your family. Plus, you have a good idea of the dog's size and temperament - which you don't necessarily get with a young puppy.

ChiliBeans

Don't feed your dog chocolate because it can be fatal to them.

I actually didn't know this when we first bought Chili, but luckily my husband did and he really stressed it to me when we brought her home.

Batman

I'm a Rat Terrier
What about "A Day in the life of a Puppy". (I am not experience enough to do this...)

I think it would be great for people to read before they actually decide to get a dog. For example... the maximum time you can leave him, watching him CONSTANTLY, getting up at night, training etc.. I think a lot of people get puppies without realizing they are more work than a baby! (I think ;) )

Training can start right away. Research what is appropriate.

The costs associated with a dog/ puppy. Food, toys, clothes, crate, vet etc... Detailed list.

Rawhide is not for puppies

Discuss the importance of socialization

Benefits of crate training

keyodie

Keyozilla
If your dog has something, for instance a sock, don't run after him or her because that just tells the dog that it has something really good and (s)he won't want to give it to anyone.

To prevent your dog from chewing a shoe, slap the shoe and say "Bad shoe" to the shoe or something, and the dog won't chew it becuase (s)he will think that it is a bad shoe. This doesn't work if the dog already started chewing on the shoe.

Members online

No members online now.