Dogo Argentino possibly in the future

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Hello all, I have been doing some research & have found that a dogo might be a good fit for me in the future (a year or so from now) Does anyone have experience with this breed? How is day to day life with them? how are they to raise & train?
thanks.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Make friends with a breed club, find a local contact, assist in a rescue.

They're tough dogs with extreme agility for their size.

Why do you want one?

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I just like the breed, I have been doing research & so far I like what I have been reading, this is not going to happen until next year at the earliest. I also have been researching the cane corso ... but they may be too large for me, I also like their temperment though.

remember I have done ACDs ... another tough breed so I am no stranger to tough breeds who are very athletic

Pops2

Hello all, I have been doing some research & have found that a dogo might be a good fit for me in the future (a year or so from now) Does anyone have experience with this breed? How is day to day life with them? how are they to raise & train?
thanks.
I've hunted behind a dozen, both imports & American bred workers. They have some variation in temperament, but generally you're talking all the intensity of an ACD, & the hunt drive of a good cur dog but the refusal to quit of a good bulldog in a package that can run up to 130# FIT. In terms of accepting human leadership, I think they are much harder dogs than the corsii (but I've only met two of those). They can be EXTREMELY dangerous to uninvited guests, like the UPS guy. The show only lines are generally bigger than working only lines (usually a couple inches over standard & 10-20# heavier even when fit). The dual lines split the difference well but still tend a little bigger. If you can handle it and have patience they are highly trainable, my friend Aaron trained his first dogo Samson to Sch III (the first in the USA).

Owned and fostered Dogos for the past 13 yrs. Love them, but they are not for everyone. ACD experience is nothing. Dogos are larger and more powerful. They are dominant, can be aggressive with unknown dogs, same sex aggression with other dogs in the home. As puppies and young adults they need a lot of exercise and I'm not talking about a dog park!

They have a high prey drive and high pain threshold.

My foster Dogo who had been used for hog hunting in his previous home and not secured properly, got out killed some cats and small dogs and was picked up by animal control. Owner didn't want to pay all the fines so he went to Dogo rescue and I fostered him. He had a prey drive through the roof. My idiot neighbor for some reason, had a sheep in their yard and Dexter went through my kitchen window to get to it. Talk about running- I'm not sure how I managed, but I made it out the door and across the yard and tackled him as he was going over the 6 ft fence with full intentions of killing that sheep.

Hardheaded, stubborn when they want something. Very intelligent, but more to their advantage than yours! Woods smart. Great noses. Casper is a marvelous tracker.

In general good with children. Good guard/protection dogs. Had an intruder break in and another foster Dogo I had ate him a live. She fought even after being stabbed in the head and multiple rib fractures. These are tough dogs. But can be a big liability if you are not prepared for them.

I find Cane Corso to be a lot milder than most Dogos at least my experience with both breeds.

And as for living with one- white hair everywhere on everything you own. It will work it way into fabric and not come out!

Food allergies are pretty common. Sensitive stomachs. Ear infections, skin issues are common complaints.

Food aggression with other animals is pretty common as well.

Most of mine could open doors and gates. Open the fridge as well. You need very secure crates if you have a escape. Dexter could destroy a wire or plastic kennel in no time flat. He needed one of those $500 crates!

Chew- puppies are horrible chewers. Puppies can also be very sensitive/soft until they hit maturity. Most I find are still rather handler sensitive unless their prey drive has kicked in and they want to kill something.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I asked WHAT about them, like what traits draw you to them through your research of the breed?
This. I'm curious, since you said you don't know what like raising or training them is like- what exactly makes you want one?

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
How is the "why" relevant? I like both breeds (on paper so far, I am still a long way from a puppy), I merely asked for general information on them. I ask because Sadly all the info on the breed I have found is riddled with "alpha" this & "dominance" that, I used to be like that but I am not anymore I'm more a "it's yer choice" person now, thanks to having buddy I have going another way ... Will those methods work on a strong guardian breed? That's the real reason why I posted this is because everything I have read recently about training says that the notion that "strong" breeds like dogos & corsi need "dominance" training is not true.

Soooo which is right? Every breeder site I went to as well as the CCAA & the DAOA that's was all they talked about, how I needed to dominate my puppy & always "keep him in line". How much of this is true?

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
How is the "why" relevant?
Um because you stared a thread about a breed you don't know anything about, and maybe your reasons would not make a good fit with this breed. Maybe if you stated why someone with experience could clear up any misconceptions you have of the breed.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I love the history of both breeds, their nature, the quiet air of confidence they have about them. I would love to get into bite work & the like & the usual breeds folks defer to for these sports don't mesh with me. I would even like to ge into weight pulling.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
You'll be fighting an uphill battle with a dogo or corso in Bitework, they aren't play and prey driven as easily and require a lot of defensive pressure which when applied incorrectly can destroy your dog or create a monster, meaning if you plan to go down this route find the club first and the dog second.

Second, dogo do not have a very old history, corso are a relatively recreated breed and vastly different with lines. Corso carry a lot of instability and I would venture 80% of the breed is mentally or physically undesirable.

Dogo are interesting but can be hard to train, as some breeds are inherently more difficult. They too can vary by lines and you really need to be clear what you want in a dog in order to find the right line.

My buddies dogo that grew up with Arnold was a cross of a hog hunting line dogo and a conformation/sport line dog. He was a pushy dog, took naturally to defense, and was the first dog I had seen go up the leash over an unfair correction. He was stunningly agile for his size but relatively insecure about being alone and had SA issues. He was tolerant but not strange dog friendly. He wasn't much for sporting but he was a great hiking partner and something to look at.

I have worked with a few other dogo and a lot of ACD, I wouldn't compare them. I wouldn't compare the difficulty of a Malinois to a dogo, not that dogos are drastically harder but it is a whole different ball game, one that suits totally different people.

Members online

No members online now.