Definatly Not My Thing (Alaskan Klee Kai)

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
This did not impress me whatsoever and just made me question alot of these people intentions. Sure their cute but whats their purpose? What are they good for? It just disturbs me seeing such tiny huskies which is what they are mini huskies :rolleyes: . They have the same energy level and same life expectancy so whats so great about them other then their size? which I don't think their half as cute as real huskies in my eyes. I guess their a cross of Husky and the three different sizes of Eskimo Dogs. I don't know you take a look for your self at the photos and info on this site and tell me what you think.

http://www.alaskankleekai.com/

I guess they were bred for people who wanted a small husky. I have never owned a Husky. There is a person who owns 6 or 7 on another forum I go to, and I think they are adorable.

southern_girl09 said:
There is a person who owns 6 or 7 on another forum I go to, and I think they are adorable.
Yeah. They're cute I suppose, but they aren't accepted by the AKC, are they?

Just checked the AKC website. They don't accept AKK as an actual breed. It's pretty much the same way for me that it is for Lab/Poodle mixes from BYB and PM.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Uh, I don't really see what's wrong with them. I guess it's like a Doberman Pinscher (Miniature Pinscher). I agree, they don't look all that cute to me. I think the normal Husky's are the best.

Rose's Gal

They aren't an AKC breed but they are an UKC breed. I can't really find anything wrong with them. In my eyes, they are just like a White (NOT albino) GSD, or a Mini Aussie. They don't sound like a designer breed, and it sounds like they have been around for a while and have 'fixed' genes.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Why oh why do so many min pin owners let their dogs be so drastically overweight! Surely it has to be as bad for them as any other dog....I have only seen one that was slim and linear, they are so pretty when their weight is kept where it is suppose to be.

pitbulliest

Not my thing either...my first impression is "Fad Dogs"...like labradoodles or shnoodles... *shudders* poor dogs...I wonder how many inheritant health problems they have... *sighs*

Mmm, interesting reading. I'd never heard of an Alaskan Husky let alone a Klee Kai. My first thought was these were dwarf huskies as Dwarfism is a problem in Malamutes. I did some searching and reading about the Alaskan Husky is very interesting and from looking at pictures of them, you can tell that the developer of the Klee Kai had a particular 'look' in mind and has very selectivly breed for that. I love my malamute and that fact that she is still small enough (just!) to sit on my lap (she's 4mths old) but their history denotes they should be big strong dogs. They shouldn't be breed smaller just because someone likes their looks but doesn't want to deal with a big strong dog. That's my thoughts anyway.

Mel

nicco

Wolfpack
I agree. All this cross breeding makes me sick. Why do some people cross breeds like schnauzer with poodle etc. I saw once a (I think) 2 months puppy and it was a mastino napoletano/dalmatian mix. OMG. Doesn't anyone think when they mix such a different breeds?

nicco said:
I agree. All this cross breeding makes me sick. Why do some people cross breeds like schnauzer with poodle etc. I saw once a (I think) 2 months puppy and it was a mastino napoletano/dalmatian mix. OMG. Doesn't anyone think when they mix such a different breeds?
I've got no problems per-se about mixing breeds. Afterall, selective breeding is what brought about almost every modern dog breed we have. I believe 70-80% of all breeds of dogs out there are less than 1000 years old and they've been bred for looks, strength, size, intellegence and function by either selectively breeding more primative breeds for a specific characteristic or by crossing breeds to introduce new characteristics (such as in the case of the ACD).

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
AndrewF said:
I've got no problems per-se about mixing breeds. Afterall, selective breeding is what brought about almost every modern dog breed we have. I believe 70-80% of all breeds of dogs out there are less than 1000 years old and they've been bred for looks, strength, size, intellegence and function by either selectively breeding more primative breeds for a specific characteristic or by crossing breeds to introduce new characteristics (such as in the case of the ACD).

Yes most breeds we have to day are a product of cross breeding but that was then and this is now. When most of our dog breeds today were being developed they were being developed for working reasons. So they had a purpose. Today cross breeding is just to make "fad" dogs pointless dogs. Cute yeah but pointless and just taking up room for the dog breeds that have been around for awhile sitting in a pound. But this is just my view. Its kinda like if its not broke why fix it?

Love4Pits said:
Yes most breeds we have to day are a product of cross breeding but that was then and this is now. When most of our dog breeds today were being developed they were being developed for working reasons. So they had a purpose. Today cross breeding is just to make "fad" dogs pointless dogs. Cute yeah but pointless and just taking up room for the dog breeds that have been around for awhile sitting in a pound. But this is just my view. Its kinda like if its not broke why fix it?
I agree with you. If it's not broke, don't fix it. However, people are vain - and that vanity will usually win out. For example, if someone wants a huskey but they really can't manage a dog of that size/strength or just aren't willing to commit to the time running and playing with it outside where it can stretch it's legs, or just plain can't handle it but a could handle a chi hua hua (sp???), I'm quite sure they're going to get the huskey regardless because it's what they want - which results in the huskey going to the pound. A klee kai on the other hand would match their vanity, leave the full sized huskey to the person who could provide for it and hopefully avoid the pound altogether.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying the above scenario will actually happen but hopefully some of these 'fad' breeds are filling a niche and leaving larger/more active dogs to people who are committed to them. I'd rather see that than the alternative anyways.

Brattina88

I think a Klee Kai is ideal for those who can not provide for a Husky due to a small back yard or something, but can give them proper care/excersize. I've heard of them before, they are UKC some one said? CKC ?? They're breed for companionship, looks like, and to not like them would be no different to not liking Min Pins or Pugs or any other toy breed for that matter. I do not believe it to be a fad breed or a mix breed. It was probably a couple years ago when I came across one and started reading about them, but there are good breeders (in the UK if I remember right) and I don't see how its any different than someone 'over here' breeding pure bred Labs or something.
I found it sort of amusing that the minute someone brings up a breed we've never heard of we automatically think of a fad, designer, or a cross breed with inherited 'issues'. We could be a tiny bit more open minded... just my opinion though. Don't be offended, anyone, I'm not trying to bash my buds ;)
I'm done acting like I know something now... teeheehee

LoL Renee~ Guppies are easier to create a new type than goldfish. thats a *hint*hint* to the future idiot bybs

Members online