Question for Aussie owners

mantine

How much do your male aussies weigh? I see online they say 50-65 pounds. I think Grizzley is pushing 40 pounds at 5 months, with another 7 months of growing and filling out to do I think he is going to be at the higher end of the weight range. Just wondering about yours.

beth2

Hi there. A lot depends on the breeding lines he is from. Did you get him from a breeder? If so they should be able to tell you what is normal at what age for their dogs. Some pups gain wieght early and then taper off the closer they get to a year old. Try going to the united states australian shepherd club home page and then you can get in touch with different breeders and ask them what they think if it bothers you still. If you are not planning to show him in conformation and you arent breeding him then dont worry about it too much. he will still be a great companion. Enjoy!

beth2

I was wondering...is grizzley the pup in the picture on your post? He is cute. If you want you can "glue" his ears down so he will keep the aussie look...when they teeth sometimes it effects their ears...if you dont glue them now they will remain sticking up. My aunt had a shelty that had the same problem...he ended up with one ear tipped and one ear sticking up....and it fit his personality to a tee!

Hillside

Original Twin
My boy Django, who I think is most likely from working lines ( don't know for sure as he's a pound puppy) is almost 30 pounds and he's about 7 months old. Neither my vet nor I think he will get above 40 pounds. When I last measured him he was at about 18 inches at the shoulder, which is the bottom of the standard for a bitch,so he's going to be on the smaller side for a male. It's fine by me, except for the fact that I am going to have to get one of those, "he's not a mini" shirts.

beth2

yah, the working bred dogs more closely resemble the original aussies. Aussies bred for show/companions are built a bit bigger and have more coat.
But they are all aussies...great dogs, tough and fun. (not sure about those minis though!)

mantine

I am not sure what his background is...I saved him from the flea market. His size doesnt bother me I am just curious. Yes that is him in the pic by my name. What do you mean by "glue his ears down"? I have never heard of that.

My boy Django, who I think is most likely from working lines ( don't know for sure as he's a pound puppy) is almost 30 pounds and he's about 7 months old.
I guess Grizzley is going to be on the bigger end then, huh? I need to take him to petsmart to weigh him again and see where he is at.

Dekka

Just try me..
A friend of mine has a really tall aussie (came from farm/working lines) He is 25 inches. She also neutered him really early (which causes taller lankier dogs).

Jynx

my male is 21" at the shoulders and weighs in around 48#,,he's built like a brick, alot of muscle , no fat, has the shorter working line coat as he's out of los rocosa lines.

My female who is also 21" at the shoulders weighs in around 43#. She has more show coat.

Aussies can run the gamant in size, color, I've seen standard aussies top out at 15-16" and some go as high as 26"..with that weight varies as well

diane

Hillside

Original Twin
yah, the working bred dogs more closely resemble the original aussies. Aussies bred for show/companions are built a bit bigger and have more coat.
But they are all aussies...great dogs, tough and fun. (not sure about those minis though!)
Yeah his coat is pretty low matienence. Granted it could explode, but I doubt it, he's already lost his puppy coat.

I can't WAIT to try him on sheep sometime.

Members online