my beagle pees on my bed!!!

beagle36

my 1 year old beagle pees on my bed, constantly! ill let him out many times a day yet he will still jump on the bed and pee. after he does it he will get scared... so he knows he has done something wrong. why does he do it and how can i fix this?

beagle36

well i spend most of my time in my room and hes usually there with me. so thats kind of unavoidable. do you happen to have any ideas why hes doing it?

he also pees in the kennel sometimes too... i thought they dont like to sleep in their own urine

~Tucker&Me~

He does not understand he is doing something wrong.

He has connected your reaction (frustrated, angry) with when you find him on the bed or when you go into that room. He does not understand that you don't want him to pee, he just understands mom going into room=her angry.

~Tucker

I would not let him in the bedroom either. Have you used an enzyme cleaner on the bed every single time immediately after he does so? If not then the scent most likely is still there and that is why he keeps returning. About the kennel--how small is it? If he is peeing in his crate it shoudl only be big enough to turn around and lay down--no extra room at all--otherwise they can go in one area and lay in another.

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
Our female beagle Bonnie (RIP) used to do the exact same thing! We just stopped allowing her to sleep in anyones bed. She wasent alowed in the bedrooms period.

beagle36

he DOES know hes doing wrong cause i give me a slap on the butt, and hes hides... so he does know that he shouldnt pee on the bed.. and he has to be supervised because hes always getting into trouble(eating garbage or any food). + hes always hungry. he will eat anything and everything.( i feed him 3-4 times a day)

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Your dog is only a year old. If you can't actively supervise it, it needs to be crated or somewhere safe. A year old isn't necessarily old enough to have free roaming. And at this point I'd guess your mattress smells liek a toilet at least to him. Not fully his fault now that it seems ot be habit.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
he DOES know hes doing wrong cause i give me a slap on the butt, and hes hides... so he does know that he shouldnt pee on the bed.. and he has to be supervised because hes always getting into trouble(eating garbage or any food). + hes always hungry. he will eat anything and everything.( i feed him 3-4 times a day)
simply put...HES A BEAGLE! sniff and eat, thats what they do.

he DOES know hes done something wrong, he just doesnt know WHAT. just cause he hides does not mean he understands WHY hes in trouble.
dogs arnt like children, you cant say to them "you ped on the bed thats bad" and they understand.

and by "a slap on the butt" your actually taking 20 steps backwards, physical punishment doesnt work, he doesnt know WHY your hitting him, just that he must have done something to upset you and your now mad!

This could eb the reason hes peeing on your bed, it could very well be submissive urination, he knows last time he was up there he got a smack and told off so now when hes on your bed he might be submissivly urinating to say "look your the boss please dont yell at me.

the ONLY ways to fix these problems.
1: no more allowing on the bed. the bed is a place of privlaged, your the dominant member and thats the highest spot, by letting him on your bed with you then telling him off for being up ther (again he doesnt understand that peeing on your bed is WHY hes getting introuble and the getting in trouble MIGHT be the reason for the peeing) if hes in your room with you, let him have a blanket next to the bad but dont allow him on your bed, if hes not allowed on the bed, he cant pee on the bed...problem solved.

2: no more slaping him on the butt, this is a general plea, most trainers will now tell you physical punishment is NOT nessicary and the dog by that point has no idea what hes gettign punnished for

3: if you allow him on your bed and catch him in the middle of peeing, a frim no then take hold of his collar lead him off your bed and outside to his normal potty spot. tell him to go potty and praise him if he does, this way hell associate peeing on your bed as bad (as opposed to being on the bed = bad) and know that if he needs to go he has to go outside

4: if he pees and you dont catch him...well its your own fault you wernt watching him close enough, dont shout at him as he wont associate the action and the words at that point, instead calmly put him on the floor (or out of the room) and clean the pee with an enzamatic cleaner...YOUR at fault you simply wernt watching close enough.

Peeing in his crate can be a number of things, the first that comes to mind is he REALY had to go, noone came and let him out and accidents happen. just because a full grown dog CAN hold their bladder for 8 hours does NOT mean he should have to! frequent potty breaks.
If hes peeing frequently enough that it seems he cant hold his bladder for longer than an hour, have the vet look him over it could be a bladder infection which makes them need to pee, often!

as for eating from the garbage, HES A BEAGLE, his nose tells him somethign smells good in there and thats all that he knows. simple solution, if you cant watch him, he needs to be in a secure area where he cant get to the garbage!

Beagles are a hunting breed, they follow their nose and can sometimes be VERY stubborn. my mum had a beagle ggrowing up that had "selective hearing" he only listend if they had something more interesting than the trail he was currently sniffing.

be patient and persistent and please be kind! dont just assume because he goes and hides he knows WHAT he did wrong!

as for the always hungry part, hes NOT always hungry. i see SOOO many overweight beagles becuase theri owners say the same thing "hes always hungry so i give him some extra" beagles are one of the gluttons of the dog world, they LOVE food (and anything that smells remotly like food, my mums parents beagle ate a candle cause it smelt like cookies) its NOT because they are hungry, its because mmm that smells good i want it.

He shoudl be eating enough that he stays at his ideal weight. split it into 3 smaller meals throught the day to give him a sense that hes getting more, but dont make the meals larger, he should be at an optimal weight.
Then give him a job to do, play games with him that involve what he was bred to do. hide his favorite toy or some treats and help him search it out using his nose, play hide and seek. Take him for a long walk in the park and instead of walking for walking let him sniff everything...heck let him lead you for a little while. if hes bored, he'll get himself into trouble. your job as his person is to keep him engaged and occupied.

beagle36

well that was a lil more than expected but thanks for the input and have the things you told me to do, i have already done, it just doesnt work all the time but i guess i have to be patient. thx

Hope things work out for you soon. I agree that the dog should not be allowed on the bed but I can see why you would want him to stay in your room when you are there. Obviously your bed has to be comfy for you to sit on LOL but maybe you could cover it (with a plastic table cloth or something) when your pup is playing in the room. If he does sneek up onto your bed without you noticing a) your bed won't get all piddly and b) it might put him off the act in the first place

Pomp

As FoxyWench said, he is indeed a beagle. Their nose dominates their life.

Also, be careful of overfeeding a beagle. Because they're always sniffing and always looking for food, owners sometimes have a tendency of feeding them too much. It is very easy for beagles to become overweight. Don't fall into that trap.

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
I agree with Foxy, and that is a great post. Had a beagle years ago, and he was such ahandful all the time, lol.
Lol thats how ours was. Bonnie was go go go 100% of time. And she was a hunting dog so she had a job. But she was still a little trouble maker always finding her way into something she shouldn't. I miss that "Aroo roo roo!" bark though :p .

Members online

No members online now.