Coccidiosis in 3 month old Westie

Good Morning,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with coccidia in a puppy. From my reading, it appears to be somewhat common. The vet put her on Albon and gave a probiotic paste to soothe her tummy. He also put her on prescription dog food that is easy on the tummy.

My question is how long does this take to clear up? She seemed to be doing better the evening we came home from teh vet and the next day. However, last night she woke me up barking at 1:30 am and had soiled her crate. It does not help that she is a poo eater so there was not much left...yuck. We quickly went outside where she pooped again. Still pretty squishy and full of mucous with a tinge of blood. Cleaned up the crate, got fresh bedding and popped her back in. I got up at 5:30 to find more poop. We went outside where she pooped again...runny and mucousy and tinged with blood. The hair on her bum was a little pink.

She seems to not have so much trouble during the day but saves all the poop for the night time hours. She is very playful and is drinking regularly. She munched down her breakfast and was incredibly playful.

Does this conditon seem to get worse before it gets better? How long before I know that the medicine is working? Help!!!

pup-man

Permanent Troll
It really depends on how strong the puppies immune system is. The prescription drug your pup is taking only stops the reproduction of the coccidia organism and doesn't kill it at all...... it's up to your pups immune system to do the rest. So the time frame can fluctuate from days to weeks or even months. Stress plays a BIG factor on the outcome.

What was the prescription food they gave you? Science Diet?

Also, she came home from the breeder with kennel cough. I did not do enough research and I am pretty sure the Brushy Creek Kennel is a backyard breeder at best. I wrote them back and they did not seem concerned. They have never checked on her once since she came home to us. However, she has been home too long to hve cotracted this form them.

pup-man

Permanent Troll
Your pup could have contact coccidia 13 days prior to you having her and not show symptoms until 2 weeks after you got him/her.

If it were my pup, I think I wouldn't use the crate right now and instead make a "safe" place for her to sleep and have a potty pad in there so she can go when she needs to.

She was picked up at 9 weeks. That was on May 29th. We have had her home for about four weeks. She did have to spend a weekend at teh kennel that my vet clinic runs. I think she may have picked it up there.

I think that I will just leave her in the kitchen all gated in. She may get more rest that way.

Thank you so much for the advice. I am soemwhat disappointed in my vet adn his response.

pup-man

Permanent Troll
Just make sure she has access to water at all times during this diarhea stage. You may also want to have a tube of Nutri-Cal handy which is very palatable and is a saviour when dogs aren't able to absorb all the nutrients in their regular feeding due to Coccidia.

Where do you get this? Do I need to contact the vet for it?

She seems to be drinking at regular intervals. We just went out to poop and it is formed a little better but now there are glops of mousy blood at the end and it makes a squirt sound. Her tummy does seem a little distended for not having eaten much today. He said to feed her 2 TBS. of the i/d four times a day. Her appetite seems good

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Make sure to keep her food and water bowls clean and bleach her potty areas so she dont get reinfected.

When I rinsed/wiped out her crate with bleach adn wiped down the entire kitchen I pour what was left on each pile of poop. Is that enough? Or shoudl get one of those sprayers that are sued to distribute liquid fertilizer and spray the yard that way. I can't keep her from wanting to eat the poop. She could find it buried underground!

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
I would use the yard sprayer then keep her out of the yard for at least an hour untill it dries.

Members online

No members online now.