I need help with my yorkie. Please help.

Yorkie

I have a 1 and 1/2 year old yorkie, and i love him to death. But he has accidents all the time in the house, and it's getting very tiresome, so i need to train him to go outside. He does go outside, it's just that he's different, a trainer even told us that he pees and poos way too much for his type. So we need some help on what some good tips are, we started the whole giving him treats and praising him if he goes outside, but we were just looking if there's any inside secrets or something to help us. Thanks.

Doberluv

What are you feeding him? Maybe it's a food which is making him have to go more than others? How much does he go?

The only way to stop him from going inside is to stop him from going inside. LOL. (isn't that a great help?) Really though...the more mistakes you make where you're not supervising him enough and he goes, that reinforces this behavior. It's a payoff for him to just go inside. It's easier. He doesn't have to wait, get cold, go away from where he's comfortable...it's convenient to go inside. The carpet is absorbant...dog's like a place which absorbs the scent. That way it stays there for all other dogs out there who will know he was there. So, if you can't supervise him, you'll have to confine him to a crate (I hope he's used to a crate) And you'll have to take him out more often.

You can also start writing down when he eats, drinks, naps, plays, goes pee and poo. That way, you'll have a little something to go by as far as his schedule and be more in the know when he'll have to go. (Hey, I'm a poet)

It's hard when they're older like that, but it can be done. You'll just have to be extra extra diligent and prevent accidents. You're doing great rewarding him when he goes outside. I wouldn't scold him at all inside because that doesn't work too well with potty training. He can think you mean that he shouldn't go at all, not that he shouldn't go inside. Outside, give a command word while he's going (keep it low key) and the the second he's finished, praise him a lot...probably what you're already doing.

My little girl Chi had that dirty puppy syndrome and never learned as a tiny pup to go outside. She's been more of a challenge. I have to let her out, probably more often than necessary, just to make sure she gets a chance. She will let me know, but it's so subtle that I can miss it sometimes and then she won't hold it very long and will go if I don't pay attention or if I'm not here to let her out. My boys will wait as long as they can. She won't try as hard to hold on.

Don't give up.

Yorkie

Well, that sounds like what we're doing and we are not scolding him when he has anaccident. But what i really wanted to know is how long would it take for him to be trained in the house? I just want to see if he's capable enough to be trained within i'd say about 2 weeks, but i don't know, i'm new at this.

Saje

Island dweller
Every dog is different and it also depends a lot on the consistency of the owner. If you are keeping track of everything that comes in and out you'll have a better idea of his schedule. Also, if he's still having accidents at his age a vet cheque might be a good idea. What are you feeding?

bettymc

You could try tying him to you.A light string around the waist.That way you always know when he's about to go and can whip him outside.Worked for me and my Pappy.Some little dogs are just tougher.

Yorkie

Yea i tie him to my waist and it works fine. But we feed him a brand of food called Advanced Pet Diets For Adults. I don't think it's the food that causes his behavior, but it can be from his hyperness. He's a very very hyper dog, he jumps, runs, barks, plays hide and seek, etc. He's a very difficult dog to keep an eye on, but i have dedicated 2 weeks to strictly train him (not scolding or punishment). He has to go outside at least 3 times in one hour, and it can get very tiresome at times, but i am very deicated. I also wanted to know what it's like to have a trained dog; does he go up to you and you can tell he has to go outside, or does he do something else?

Thanks

bettymc

My little guy stands and looks at me and occ. whines.I find it easier to have him on a schedule.Wake up ,go out ...eat,go out etc.But believe me,I never had this problem with my big dogs.I also find lots and lots of walkies seems to help.?takes his mind off it.

Yorkie

bettymc said:
My little guy stands and looks at me and occ. whines.I find it easier to have him on a schedule.Wake up ,go out ...eat,go out etc.But believe me,I never had this problem with my big dogs.I also find lots and lots of walkies seems to help.?takes his mind off it.
Good point, but I just want my dog to be trained enough so that i can trust him to be in the house and that he won't have an accident. I have a ffeling that won't be possible, or it will take months for him to learn that.
BTW, thanks for the help people, its really making an improvement.

a trainer even told us that he pees and poos way too much for his type.

I don't know what this is supposed to mean! Yorkies are notorious for housebreaking problems - and there's plenty of reasons for it, some related to the breed, some related to how the dogs are trained and by whom, but that said, when I saw your problem was housebreaking a yorkie, I didn't even blink! That said, if your trainer is concerned that the VOLUME of urine is too much for a small dog, I'd suggest having your vet do a blood panel and culture on your dogs urine. Due to the prominence of obesity in the breed, diabetes is not uncommon. Other possibilities could be a liver shunt or Cushing’s disease. Although much more rare, Addison’s disease can also cause excess urination. The best way to get your Yorkie housebroken is to crate train and to understand that he is has a much smaller bladder and faster metabolism than a larger dog. That means he will urinate more than a big dog for the same volume of food and he will need to go more often. My dogs are fully housebroken, but they go out every four hours, nonetheless. I could never leave them for more than five or six hours at a shot without expecting some accidents when I got home. Not only would it be unfair, it would simply be unhealthy to expect that of them. People often think it is easier to own a small dog than a larger dog, but that isn’t a 100% true. I have office mates with large dogs, then never have to run home after a 10 hour day – I always have to find someone to let the dogs out if I’m going to be late coming home. That’s a trad

aelizilly

Beagle Bailey
Well, I know all dogs are different, but I have a Beagle, also said to be notorious for training and I can honestly say he is 95% reliable when I am home. He does not have any more accidents and I am thankful that he can be trusted more around the house and I can give him more freedom. He sleeps with me at night, and for awhile there, he would wake me up at least once at night, but doesn't anymore unless I don't monitor his water before bedtime.

I agree about starting from square one inthe potty training and take him out alot, then crate him when you are not around.

Oh, I'm not saying Yorkies can't be house trained - far from it. My own Yorkies certainly are! But for various reasons, the breed has a rep. I could say that has a lot to do with the rise in popularity of the breed esp among in experienced dog owners. People often wrongfully assume that just because a dog is smaller, its needs in training and care are less. They also allow small dogs to get away with things (like peeing and pooping in the house!) where they couldn't even if they wanted to with a larger dog (its easy to ignore a poop the size of a rabbits - but you aren't going to get away with that if you are housebreaking a doberman). Another thing to consider though is that small dogs have faster metabalisms and must be taken out more often. People don't realize that as well.

Yorkie

yes i do know that yorkies are a very tough breed to train. Although he is a yorkie, i have been training him for almost 2 weeks now. I crate him, i take him outside almost every half hour, and i keep an eye on him. I think the crate training is going very well, and i have tied him to myslef and i take him out whenever he gets up, plus i give him a little treat when he does go. But bottomline, i just wanted to know how long it ususally takes before i should trust him and untie him from me.

mojozen

bullie lover
Yorkie said:
yes i do know that yorkies are a very tough breed to train. Although he is a yorkie, i have been training him for almost 2 weeks now. I crate him, i take him outside almost every half hour, and i keep an eye on him. I think the crate training is going very well, and i have tied him to myslef and i take him out whenever he gets up, plus i give him a little treat when he does go. But bottomline, i just wanted to know how long it ususally takes before i should trust him and untie him from me.
Unfortunately the only answer I think anyone will be able to honestly give you is - it takes however long it takes. It can take a few weeks, but since your dog has already had the habit for peeing in the house develop, i doubt he will train that easily. I would say expect a 2 - 6 months before he is reliable.

Members online

No members online now.