Bearded Dragons?

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
They fascinate me, and likely the only lizard I would consider owning (igunanas get too large, anoles get stressed with handling, chameleons have the same issue and seem delicate, snakes, well, are too snake-like).

Has anyone ever owned one? What are they like to live with? Could they be kept in the same room/home with birds?

Xandra

Never owned one, just known people with them and have been to a breeder's house and chatted with them. They are pretty low maintenance (for a reptile) and docile when they're older. One woman I knew who would have hers out with a bunch of lovebirds and cockatiels without issue. Of course animals can bite and injure one another but beardies are pretty placid and a quaker sized bird is too big for them to eat. I don't think you'd have a problem. And they feel so cool with all of their little spines and ridges!

Have you looked into Ackie monitors at all? monitors are the coolest of lizards IMO they kind of remind me of ferrets lol smart-ish and many are quite active, problem is most get too large (Komodo dragon is the largest monitor). Ackies stay about beardie sized. I've never met one (they are still somewhat rare in the pet trade) and I think you'd have to be more careful with your birds (while small and mainly insectivorous, they are hunters), but they look neat:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263411

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZZwwzcAnCk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjch3Yuzl98

Barbara!

Yep, they're pretty cool lizards. Simple to care for, pretty, mild mannered. The only down side is I, personally, would consider them kind of dull.

I would say you could keep them in the same room with birds, no problem. They're very docile lizards. Would this be your first reptile or no? I always recommend them for first time lizard owners since they are so easy to care for in comparison to other lizards.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Our town bans monitors, along with constricting and rear fanged snakes, so I haven't even considered them to be honest.

I owned uyomastyx (sp?) when I was younger, but that did not go well as I was unprepared and didn't do mg homework, hence the research now.

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
We have a Bearded Dragon - who is 9 years old, which is fairly old. Most BD only live 6-7 years in captivity, but I think with good care it's not out of the question to have them for 8-10 years.

They are fairly easy to keep as long as you start them off with the right set up. Like most reptiles they aren't very forgiving when set up with a bad environment, but they are more forgiving than an Iguana, Anole, etc.

Before knowing any better we got Iggy from a pet store. I had always wanted one and my now husband and I decided it would be a good pet to start with since we didn't have time for a dog. They sent us home with tons of stuff we didn't need, stuff that was dangerous for her, and just in general the wrong set up. After doing tons and tons more research we found a great forum and we basically started over with her set up, doing it correctly this time. When she was around a year old we added another BD (a male) from a breeder. He was shipped to us from California. If you opt to get one please get one from a breeder, they cost a bit more, but the same goes for them - you get a healthier pet. As for housing one in the same room with birds, I don't see that being a problem.

There is tons of information that I can share, but I'll just leave you with a few pieces of information....

1) Tank set up is a huge ordeal for them, and it can be expensive to set up. Once set up the maint/upkeep is low.

2) A good knowledge vet is a must. They can get sick and like most reptiles they don't really start to show outward signs until they are really sick. They saying goes, "It takes them a long time to get sick, and twice as long to get better". Also, keep in mind that BD are an exotic so vet care will be more expensive than normal, but I don't think it's over the top expensive (at least in my experience).

3) They need a variety in their diet, esp as they get older. As a youngster it can be really frustrating because they normally refuse to eat veggies, etc. Over time they will eat anything you give them. I feed Iggy with a more natural approach, but many disagree (ie - feeding mice). Many also recommend supplements, but I feel that is something that each person should research and make a decision about.

4) They don't have to have a cage mate, but I feel that during the time we had Pete, Iggy was much happier. With that being said, if you plan to house more than one they must be of similar size, or the small one may become food. We had to keep our male in a different tank until he was about 3/4 the size of Iggy. Also, unless you want to deal with the female laying eggs, etc it's best to get two of the same sex. Breeding is another subject.

If you want more information my PM box is open, or catch me on FB (I think you are on my FB).

....and a few pictures for you.

lizzybeth727

I LOVE beardies and have always wanted one, but I haven't gotten one yet. Biggest reason is that I don't have the space/money for a proper tank setup. But what I've read is that as long as their habitat is adequate, they're really hardy and easy to take care of. :)

I have a Bearded Dragon and a Quaker parrot. They live in the same room with no problems at all. I don't expect them to be friends or anything of course and when one is out of their cage/tank the other is not lol.

I find Quigley (my Beardie) very interesting. She's definitely fun to watch. She's young and very active. Upkeep isn't too bad at all.

I know next to nothing about bearded dragons, other than that they can eat a crap ton of crickets. We sell crickets at my work, and we have customers with bearded dragons that are buying a dozens and dozens every week. I'm not even sure if that many crickets are good as a complete/partial diet for a bearded dragon (I've heard conflicting answers), but all I know is we sell a lot of them!

One girl brought her bearded dragon in to the store to buy crickets for him, and he sat on the counter and ate a couple crickets that managed to escape their cage. It was awesome.

Romy

Taxiderpy
They are awesome. Look into frilled dragons as well. They're very similar in habitat requirements and personality. I was surprised, as they seem like something that would be flighty, but they're really mellow. I met some at a reptile show, they just hung out on the breeder's shoulder as he walked around and let people handle them. He told me that he had a giant piece of driftwood set up in his living room with a spotlight for them and they basically had free roam of the room.

I'd be very cautious of the birds and beardies being housed in close proximity. There are a lot of diseases they can carry and pass back and forth. The biggest concern for both species would be respiratory stuff.

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
They are awesome. Look into frilled dragons as well. They're very similar in habitat requirements and personality. I was surprised, as they seem like something that would be flighty, but they're really mellow. I met some at a reptile show, they just hung out on the breeder's shoulder as he walked around and let people handle them. He told me that he had a giant piece of driftwood set up in his living room with a spotlight for them and they basically had free roam of the room.

I'd be very cautious of the birds and beardies being housed in close proximity. There are a lot of diseases they can carry and pass back and forth. The biggest concern for both species would be respiratory stuff.
Respiratory issues aren't normally a big concern with BD unless they are not in a proper set up, or they are already ill. It can happen, but Coccidia, GI issues, Deficiencies (Calcium/Vit D.) are much more common.

They are easy to care for as long as you have the right set up first off, as mentioned before. GOOD UVB lights are a must - I suggest Mercury Vapor Bulbs. They are expensive, but they last much longer than any of the other UVB bulbs on the market. Get crickets from a good place or they can get parasites and get sick. Too much mealworms will cause constipation which will also lead to a hefty vet bill. 50+ gallon tank is a must, research what substrate is best because many kinds can also cause constipation. I just used paper towels for mine.

This is Miracle...I obtained him from a pet store. The owner refused to use UVB lights for her animals and Miracle consequently got MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease - an extremely common illness in Bearded Dragons that they WILL get if they do not have UVB lights - so be sure to take this into consideration when deciding where you get your beardie), and lived with it for so long that all of his legs, his tail, his pelvis, and his jaw were broken and it was pronounced by my vet that he would never be able to walk again. They also force fed this tiny guy PINKIES - shoved them right down his throat. They attempted to do this in front of me and I had a fit and went off on a rampage about how he was going to die, so they let me take him home with me for free. The employees were nice ladies - they just didn't know what they were doing at all. The owner of the pet store, however, was a devil woman. With UVB lights, the correct diet, and exercising him everyday by making him paddle his little legs in shallow water, he was able to scuffle along and live a good remainder of his life.

sdfhcvb by ohmanlookatmylife, on Flickr

bhj.m,n, by ohmanlookatmylife, on Flickr

This was my boy, Axel. He was dumped in front of Starbucks in the winter time, believe it or not. He was also in very bad shape, but he became a healthy, active, sweet guy very quickly!

hjkh, by ohmanlookatmylife, on Flickr

fcujhkl by ohmanlookatmylife, on Flickr

iuhk by ohmanlookatmylife, on Flickr

untitled67 by ohmanlookatmylife, on Flickr

untitled by ohmanlookatmylife, on Flickr

This is a wonderful beardie forum: http://www.beardeddragon.org/bjive/index.php

Members online