House breaking stubborn breeds?

pkulak

We have a lab puppy who seemed to housebreak himself. He had accidents when he was a puppy, but after he grew up a bit he seemed to come to know that the house was were he ate and slept, and he'd rather hold it as long as he could then go there.

Anyway, now we have another puppy, a basset hound/lab mix who seems to have no preference for where she pees at all. We are not even convinced that she would prefer to not relieve herself in her crate! :D I heard that you need to confine the dog at all times, taking it outside often so that it has no choice but to go outside, but I don't really follow that logic. If you do that, won't your living room be just as much "outside" as your back yard? I guess my question is, how do you potty train a breed that doesn't seem to take to it naturally? Thanks for any help!

Maxy24

The idea is not to have the dog always confined it is to confine the dog when you cannot watch him. Then you take him out so that he has no inside accidents and learns outside means potty. Similar to a child you tell them how good they are for going outside and (in a dogs case) give him a treat. You do not need to flip out on him for going in the wrong place, because they will learn to hide or just do it when you are not around. By confining him and preventing accidents you are not allowing him to learn peeing inside is appropriate. By only going outside they learn outside is potty, and if they do go inside nothing good happens but when they go outside all this great stuff happens.

I'm telling you, you have to take them out ALL THE TIME - like every 20 minutes all day long!!!!! In addition to that, take them out when they wake up from a nap or after play. So pretty much you are in and out like your house has a revolving door.

It becomes an obsession but it is soooo worth it because once it is done - it's done. They will never have another accident.

NEVER yell. If you catch them in the act, just say Ep, EP, loudly and pick them up and take them outside, then praise like heck if they finish.

Leave some poo in the yard so he can smell it the next time you take him out.

If they go in the house, it's your fault, not theirs, for not watching them closely or taking them out frequently enough. You need to clean it SUPER GOOD!! Or they will pick up the scent and think that's where you go. Try vinegar and water with a squirt of dish detergent. Then sprinkle baking soda on it and let it dry. Vaccum up.

In the morning, I used to carry Colt out so he wouldn't get distracted by something else and start to go.

Hope this helps - Good Luck!!

Barb04

Super Moderator
Taking the pup out as bumhouse said, all the time, works. If they get used to going pee/poop outside, then they start wanting to go out.

I use Nature's Miracle on the carpet. I bought some of their laundry detergent and found if I use a little bit in some water with a sponge to clean up the carpeting, it really helps.

ACooper

Bumhouse has already stated most of what I would say. Something else though, make sure his over night crate is ONLY big enough for sleeping, if he has room he can use part for a bathroom. Make sure the first thing you do in the morning is carry him outside to potty, even if there is an accident in the crate.

One other thing on the subject. When you do take him out to potty, if you see he is actually going tell him "go potty" BUT only if he is actually going. And of course the praise afterwards. By telling him "go potty" while he is actually going you will have him associate those words with the feeling & act. This will come in very handy later when you do take him out, you can tell him "go potty" and he will understand what you want from him and get it done instead of waiting for half an hour :).

ya, just do what Bumhouse said, good information there! :) but yes, if they go in the house its your fault. not puppy. good luck!

Barb04

Super Moderator
ACooper, I forgot about telling the pup while they're doing it outside. We kept saying "go pee" "go poop" and now if I say to them to do it, they do! I always just hope my neighbors aren't listening too closely.

R

RedyreRottweilers

House Training

House training your dog is simple if you follow a few basic rules.

1) The puppy must have NO time unsupervised in your home. NONE. If you are not directly watching the puppy, it should be in the crate, or outside in a safe area. You MUST watch the puppy at ALL times when loose in the house. Use baby gates, crates, or tie the leash to your belt.

2) The puppy should sleep inside the crate by your bedside. This way you can hear if the puppy should happen to need to go out during the night.

3) You must go WITH the puppy outside for ALL trips for elimination. You must have treats with you. When the puppy is urinating, say "GO PEE PEE" in a nice praise tone of voice the entire time. When she is finished, pop the treat into her mouth at once, and praise praise praise. This should be something she gets at no other time, like tiny pieces of string cheese or boiled chicken. Same for defecation. Say "GO POOP" while she is going, and food reward and praise afterwards. You must observe and reward ALL outdoor potty time.

4) Keep a schedule. Feed at the same time, and walk outside at the same times. Your pup needs at least 4 trips outdoors each day, and 5 is probably better. Pup needs to go out at wake up time, lunch time, 4-5 PM, after dinner or any other meals, and before bed.

5) Use a key word each time you go out. I say "Let's go out!!" in a happy tone of voice each time I'm opening the door to go out with the dog.

6) If you catch the puppy IN THE ACT of eliminating in your house, CLAP YOUR HANDS, say AH AH, OUTSIDE!! And immediately rush her outside. If she finishes there, do your usual food reward and praise.

The keys to getting your dog reliably housetrained are:

SUPERVISION: NO loose time in the house if you are not watching

REWARDS: ALL outdoor elimination MUST be observed and rewarded. If you only do this ONE thing, your puppy will get housetrained.

PATIENCE: Anger and punishment have no place in dog training. Elimination is a natural and pleasurable experience for your dog. You can teach her to not soil your house, but punishment will NOT help. It will only teach the dog to hide when she needs to eliminate.

If you have applied these techniques carefully for 4 weeks and you are still finding spots or piles after the fact, it's time for stronger measures. Roll up a newspaper and fasten both ends with a rubber band. Keep it handy. The very next time you find a spot of a pile that the dog has left behind, whip out that newspaper, and hit YOURSELF over the head firmly several times as you repeat "I FORGOT TO WATCH MY PUPPY".

Works every time.

:D

Oh Barb - I say "go potty"!! Can you imagine what my neighbors must think?? I spend too much time with small children!! But it works, and now all I have to say is that and he goes. Too cool!!

Members online

No members online now.