Hyia is learning

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Ok I am a picky eater, of all the senses tasting food is rock bottom, I like growing it, think is is very pretty but that is where the line is drawn. I get Ressurection I do. THat meat is yucky to me, but it isn't canned cat food. Give me a break. I managed to get about a 2 teaspoons of it mixed in formula down a syringe and more in her tummy then all over her face this morning at one time, which is record breaking. The rest of the tubbies, scrabble through 2 jars of baby beef in no time flat. by themselves. Sighs. She plays, she purrs, she sleeps, no more of that fall over and not be responsive for an hour thing that had me in tears. So I hope we are about to turn a corner. I wish to heck she would at least lick it off a spoon. SHe will grow up to chew on pens, i swear.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Trying hard not to make a mess. I am, they are not.

yum

Victor wants to clean up taste too, but not if it includes touching THAT. He would rather eat a bug then touch THAT. If that kitten was allowed to approach him, he would hang by his toenails from the ceiling fan.
vid So he just bawls.
vid

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
oops
Kitten whiskers these are not. She has matching ones on the other cheek. They are like ticks when you walk through tall grass, they reach out and latch on. From now on she knows to keep them away from her face.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
It is a step in the right direction and she is eating, if not as much as the others. BUT she will only eat from the plastic piece of the syringe, move it, remove it, and she sits and refuses, the plate, a spoon or a finger. Put it back and she will go back to eating. So she still has to be fed seperate and there for first. vid

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier

vids

Are you my Mom or Dad?

One went east and one went west and one flew over the cookoo's nest.

your feet smell like fritoes..no wait, kitten chow, no wait...

blue for a little bit longer

50 nails later, we are clipped. IT's a self preservation thing. Needle, I forgot how dang sharp they could be. I knew puppies were bad but MYGOSH, I feel ripped to ribbons just getting them fed. Squrrels are worse, but there is no way I could ever do anything about theirs. Even for their infancy.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Is bathed and brushed and ready for our checkup. SHe loves her little "brush" almost as much as she loved her binkie syringe.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
No getting any ideas. They are OFF limits.

I have to take loads of pics, because we got to have a lifetime together in 4 more weeks. I hope to put together a little baby book of photos and maybe a sketch or two for each one to send them off with my blessing and hopefully bring them some luck for the future.

Last edited:

AliciaD

On second thought...
The pictures and sketches idea is so cute! Ressie ia adorable, but they are all wicked cute! Good luck, :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I am so glad the syringe part of bottle feeding is over. I never had a more miserable batch of syringes in my life. After a couple uses, they stuck, and it scared me. I thought it was the formula..I didn't know what was causing it, only that it was making for a dangerous situation and they would have nothing to do with a bottle. I got a new packet of syringes and was so surprised, no catching half way through. No stick at all no matter how many times it was used. So it boiled down to bad product. Now it is mash, i put down a cloth, and bring them out 2 at a time. That way there is much less mess and I have more ability to see that everyone gets their fair share. Plus they don't feel the need to push and get food all over their heads and legs. Mash helmets and boots are hard to wash off and I don't like making them soggy, which is why I was using a tooth brush, to help fluff up that hair and get them dry as fast as possible. You don't appriciate all the work a cat does until you try to take her place. Now Hyia gets to find out just how much 5 cats can soil a box, I want it super clean so they will develop good habits. I also always call Kitty kitty when I walk in the room. I had a cat once that always came at a dead run when he was called. Can't hurt to try to imprint.

I hope they never end up like the cat at the end of the street this morning. It's ear was hanging, a mangled mess. I knocked on the door of the owner with some medicine and cotton ball I asked the groomer up the street if I could have. THe man said "Oh it's been like that for a week, it's healing". :(:(:(:(:( WE aren't talking a little rip either, I was horrified. He wouldn't let me put the medicine on. It will do no good to call anyone because this county could care less about cats. It would break my heart if one of the kittens ended up with such people. There is no guarantee. Hopefully a little baby book will help show that they are precious that can't hurt either. I would have loved to know what Victor and Pepper looked like as babies.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
changing

vid

I take her out and let her play without the others because she is smaller and they just mow her down and make her cry out. After she is wormed, I hope that she will make faster ground in catching up. I don't know if she will ever be as big as the others, they tend to favor the tabby end of things where she is more slender. That fuzzy hair hids some. YOu feel it when you pick them up to compare.

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/smkie/media/AUGUST 2013/CIMG8837_zps7fe72cd3.mp4.html

What Hyia learned today is that when your Mom says everything off the floor, she means if a kitten gets on the floor and you can't find it, you will see why she asked you to get everything off the floor. Kitten found. Stuffies and such finally put away. She is doing a LOT of clean up, and helping mix food mash now. 5 is a lot to take care of, we really should have started with one or two, but that isnt' the way it worked out.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
They have had their worm medicine now. I talked with the vet about what happened to Ressie. She said they might have tried to snuff her out since she was the weakest one, I don't know about that. Do you think four kittens out of instinct would think as a group..hey lets snuff her out? I lean towards a really bad accident. Either way, so far she is still with us. I hope getting rid of her belly full will help her gain faster strength. While I was talking with my friend for a whole 10 minutes in the parking lot, 2 pit bulls, one brown long haired dog, and a tent that was meowing was carried in. My friend under her breath was saying NOnonononon take them BACK. We are too full and the trucks havent' come in yet. She told me it meant more then I knew to take the 5 kittens out of there. She probably has me ear marked for more but not until after I get caught up from the baby overload that went on all summer here. Hope to have good pics of non wormy kittens soon. Still too young for shots and microchip. COme back next week in case they need another dose of worm med. Was also sent home with a kennel instead of a box, copious amounts of kitten food, kitten treats and litter. THAT helps tremendously. I can give my physical effort, but I am not able to float the financial end of it without taking away from the ones I already have which I will not do.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Much better tummies, but I dont' think they are finished. I am so relieved, i hate even the thought of intestitnal worms. I told Kelly was embarrassed and she said don't be, they came with them, and they ALL come with them. The shelter has taken in 300 animals in the last week. They are giving one kitten with the adoption of one kitten. They are for 3 days having a 30 dollars for every dog over 30 lbs, special. They are running them everywhere. People keep telling me the economy is getting better but I sure don't see it. Not at home, in my neighborhood, or there. Both kittens for 25 dollars worries me after reading that one that happened on Facebook, with the Patrick Miracle. THey are frantically trying to find that pup back, it was adopted for 10 dollars, then on surveillance tape they say the man dump it in a trashcan in the back of his truck. They feel it was going to be used for bait. I have no control over the adoption end of things, so it is probably best I don't think too much and don't breathe a word of my worry to Hyia.

The one we call Columbus gets out every night and curls up with Hyia in bed. He is the only one that leaves the group, and he heads right up to her face and purrs and licks. She is going to miss them when they are gone.

Resurrection follows me everywhere I go, and when I stop, she sits atop my foot. I am going to miss them too.

That is why I want to make them a little book. It can't hurt right?

gapeach

Big Mutts
Smkie a book sounds like a great idea. Any family would love that to come with their new baby.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Victor tries to talk kitten vid

So you want me to look at the camera right? you better look fast. It's hard to look classy when you just got your behindy washed.

You may rub my noggin for luck.

I really am as soft as I look. I even smell good. Says Victor and my foster mommy

Now to wash up the rest of them. I feed her first, so she can eat as much and as long as she wants to without being pushed out of the way.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I can tell how much Victor can still see by how he watches the kitten. If the white one is on a light colored sheet, he will keep looking where it was with big eyed amazement even tho the kitten has skittered to the other end of the sofa. Once it makes a sound down there he will turn his head and look with big eyed amazement even tho it ran back, until it makes a sound. Same for the dark one if it is on a darkish surface. His way of handling his night blindness is to shut his eyes tight, until the sun is fully up. If he has to get up at all, he walks behind me with his nose bumping the back of my leg. OUtside during the day, the only difference I can tell is if the bubbles are in the shade, he will try to catch them where he thinks they are being blown, and bark furiously wanting you to go ahead and blow them, even tho they are floating around his head. As soon as they hit the sunlight, and have that white dot on them, then he can run after them.

Columbus will NOT stay in the pen. THo the other 4 do, with no problem at all. He jumps out and makes it to the door and settles down right at the crack of it. Having gone as far as he can go. AT night, it's the bed and blankets for him, not the warm pile of his litter mates.. I hope he doesn't get himself in trouble in the long run with his adventures.

Members online

No members online now.