Choosing the right one.........

mrose_s said:
if you can get more time at the park every week, may i suggest a basset hound?
Don't get a Basset. People think that they are lazy dogs, but they need exercise. It would go crazy cooped up in an apartment. They need at least one walk a day.

B

BlackDog

chilled said:
hello
you could get anysize dog in an apartment.
ive got a boxer/ridgeback and he seems fine.
but any dog needs at least one walk a day.
how about walking it in the morning/ evening???
tell us what you decide
You can't keep any size dog if you live in a apartment. That's cruel! Just imagine a dane puppy in a apartment all day. Your apartment would be a mess. Even if you crated him so he wouldn't distroy the place while you were gone, it just simply isn't fair to expect a large breed to be able to happily live in a small space like that. It's even more true if the breed is a high energy breed.

avenlee

I can attest to a Westie. Nora won't sit still to save her life. I love her personality though. Very very fiesty! She won't take any crud from anyone or anything, lol. You know, people think with their short legs that they wouldn't run very fast. Can't be further than the truth! If she takes off, there is no catching up or stopping her. Westie's are better with adults then kids. Although I have older kids, it sounds like you would have the most contact or caregiving. You really need to know how to handle them. Like other's have said, every dog needs to get exercise every day. Anything short would not be fair to the dog. I think you should wait a while before seriously thinking of getting a dog. It can not be a fly-by decision.

mrose_s

BusterLove
westies are cute... ill agreee with that
but it isnt fair to get a dog and keep it inside all day amost 7 days a week.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Rose's Gal said:
Don't get a Basset. People think that they are lazy dogs, but they need exercise. It would go crazy cooped up in an apartment. They need at least one walk a day.
oh, when i say "Every week" i did mean walking it every day. sorry that didnt make any sense
when i sai "if you can get more time at the park every week" i meant like about 7 hours a week, atleast 1 hour a day.

personally, i would never keep any dog in an apartment unless i could take it everywhere with me.
my parents once went lounge shopping while we were on a trip. They took 3 hours and my sister and i wern't allowed to leave the hotel room. We were literally bored to tears. and this is when we had movies on tv and each other to keep us company, imagine what dogs go through :eek:

Members online

No members online now.