Hey, raw feeders. Question!

RD

Are you dead yet?
Where do you get your more "rare" meats for your dogs? What do you feed? How much do you pay?

I really want to get some lamb/mutton, rabbit and venison, but here it's processed and super expensive. I don't know where to find it! And I don't want to pay $5.99 or more per lb. =/

OhMyDog

Alpha Sheltie
Some of the less common meats I feed are: goat, moose, llama, emu, ostrich, and rabbit. I get them from a local company called 3P Raw. They're pretty expensive though.. all of the above meats are about $5 (give or take a few cents) per 600gram bag.

I've heard some really great things about hare-today.com. I don't think they ship outside of the US but if you are in the states, it might be something worth looking into.

W

whatszmatter

yeah, I get rabbit, venison, moose, bear, from hunters. So its not a huge part of their diet. We get lamb from one we buy at the fair every year, don't buy it too often. oh yeah, ducks come from hunters too. Usually from my unlce who uses very low steel shot, so getting the BB"s out before feeding is easy.

DanL

I try to pay nothing- my brother hunts deer and will give me things he doesn't eat. I have him save ribs, necks, and front leg/shoulders. He got one this season that was so gamey it was inedible so I got pretty much the whole thing after he'd had it butchered. The dogs scarfed it up.

We'll buy rabbits now and then, but they are expensive. A friend had given me a bunch he had shot along with pheasants, but those are gone now.

Lamb we get very rarely, as it's expensive here. Sometimes we find shanks on sale and we'll get them as a treat. I'd love to find a source for lamb breast and ribs.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Thanks! I'd love to find out what people hunt around here, I don't think we have a big deer population in the desert but in northern AZ there's a lot of forest and surely there's some hunting going on there.

Members online

No members online now.