Does your dog know his or her limits?

Squash and Maisy -- not even a little bit.

Pip is pretty good, but I think it's more that there's not an activity that he loves so much that he's motivated to keep doing once he gets too tired. Swimming for sticks comes close, but he'll stop for some chew breaks occasionally if he's getting very tired.

Yes and no. Blaze can and will go till he drops. It really depends on how into it he is and the heat, stress, fun, etc all play a big part. But he does give warning signs, which is nice.
Pretty much this for Traveler. He would just keep going but I know the signs of him being tired and ready for a break or to stop like not bringing the ball all the way back to me or getting distracted by little things. But given a choice he's not going to stop.

Kaylee doesn't know her limits but not because she'll keep going :rofl1: The issue with her is going "Ok Kaylee, really I promise it's not going to kill you to get off the bed"

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Bamm doesn't like the heat at all so he'll usually quit on me early.

Cricket not so much. With her it's not while we're playing fetch or anything because she still hasn't mastered fetch. She'd much rather run after the ball and take it elsewhere. But... when we went to the lake she would NOT stop jumping in the lake. After an hour of playing we were ready to leave and she cried for a while because she wasn't done swimming around. So, I think for her it really depends on the activity she's doing.

BostonBanker

I'm not sure - I don't think I've ever put her in a position where she was exhausted or over heated to the extreme. I worked with horses too long, where such things are much bigger deals. I am very careful with both animals when the temperatures or air quality are not good. I'd be inclined to say that, with things like playing fetch, Meg would probably take care of herself just fine. If we were out hiking or something, I'd be more worried she wouldn't, just because she is always careful to keep my close.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Im pretty sure that Teagan knows her limits and she has no issue telling me when she is close to it. She usually gives lots of warning.

When she has had enough she will usually just stop wanting to play or go run to her pool. If we are somewhere she is unfamiluar with she will want to be picked up.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Nope, Mia sure doesnt'. The others are pretty good about it but Mia is NOT. Not at all.

She runs till she pukes if you let her, regardless of temp outside and has done so many times. It was 102 the other day and she was just as active as she is when it's 70 or even 50 out. She will also slam herself through objects trying to get to a ball. I have to force her to quit playing ball and take breaks and make sure she goes to swim if it's hot out. I'm better at reading her now but still recently I let her go too long. I made my cousin stop throwing for her once after three hours and she was still going at the ball with the same drive she had been at the beginning.

Literally three hours later she's still going as hard as the first throw. She'll still throw the ball into your face and if you ignore her, she'll still complain and yell at you, lol. I remember I posted a video once on here where she was getting REALLY tired and I commented on it in the video. Everyone thought it was funny because she was still being incredibly hyper. It's very very subtle changes I notice.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Two do, two don't. And it's not both of the terriers! One Collie, one terrier will go till they drop, the other Collie and terrier will go all out but will stop before they are dying ... ;)

"Limits? What are these 'limits' of which you speak?"

That's Kharma and Tallulah's take on it.

Bimmer's got a good handle on limits, although there have been times when his were way past where I thought they should be :eek:

Gypsydals

No, Ivan has no idea when to stop. He will keep going until he drops. I can tell when hes getting too hot though and I will make him stop. But he stands there and looks at me with this why look on his face.

It depends on what we are doing, how hot it is, and how into it she is. Playing fetch, yes she will just refuse to bring the ball back so we go inside. Usually, sometimes I have to make her stop if she is so zoned out that she doesn't notice that she is over doing it.

Biking.... not so much. I have to make her stop and take breaks when we go biking, even then she wants to keep going going going. lol. I swear, she would keep going until she hit the ocean on either coast. Then she would probably turn around and do it again. We only do 2-3 miles at a time, in cool weather, with frequent breaks, with her running in the grass. 1-2 times a week when we can. I've gotten slack with bike rides though, it's way too hot!

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Quinn does.

Dally, sometimes. She will run herself to the point of exhaustion, but if her bad leg is bothering her she's really safe about it and she'll tone it down. She won't outright quit but she'll take it slower and won't do her crazy stuntman jumps.

Michiyo-Fir

Nia doesn't. She gets so hot she can barely run and pants like a steam engine but she still goes. Also she won't stop even after hours of fetch so I make sure not to exercise her too much or have her overheat.

However, if it's something she doesn't enjoy as much like walking around the block, she lets me know when she's tired by trying to pull in the direction of our house and refusing to walk by our house for another lap.

It depends. If it's ball/tug, he stops when he gets bored. But if it's anything involving chasing another live animal, he will go, and he will go until he passes out. As far as mental games go (obedience) if he's into it he'll keep going on and on and on. If not, then good luck!

goosey

Mac never used to know her limits when she was younger, she'd run herself to death. Now she's five she's better she'll go off when she's hot and flustered and have a short break in the shade, but still not for as long as she should.
From a young age i taught her "enough, out" so she would have to take her toy, walk a few steps away, stand and wait for me to be ready to play again. Also "drink", i point to her water bowl and ask her to drink when she's had a rest. These worked really well and still do, she just would'nt stop otherwise.

Gatsby is always looking out for Gatsby, so he knows when to stop. How long he can go depends on what we're doing. He'll hike in the cool woods all day long, play agility for an hour, do obedience or rally for 45 minutes in waves of about 10-15 minutes of go with 2-5 of rest.

Marsh will go until he dies, and I love him for it. He has signs though, he'll drop the ball and lay down when he's tired, but you can't pick it up without him jumping up and trying to fetch the chuckit. I can point at water and tell him to drink and he'll take at least a lap or two. He only likes fresh water though, he won't drink it if he's already drinken (?) from it. He doesn't like backwash. :rofl:

Members online

No members online now.