How much exercise?

Adrienne

I just ran across a post here that said not to exercise your puppy on hard pavement if you can avoid it. Well since everything is melting and all the trails in the parks are pretty mucky I have been walking Gunnar on the sidewalk for about 1 1/2 miles a day. Will this really harm his joints? Most of the time we are walking with my two children so the walk is pretty pokey.

Also how much is too much for a puppy, he is very willing to go as far as we have went so far. I can't split the walks up to much, somedays I can fit in two but most we can only get in one. Is two miles to far for Gunnar? He is now 15 weeks and a GSD.

Thanks!

Saje

Island dweller
I don't really know the answer. With Maverick he needed A LOT of exercise/play time. He loved out walks. I just never forced him to do anything or repetitive. It mostly off leash playing. We'd explore the beach and he'd swim ... eventually. And we'd go for long walks. If we didn't walk him for at least an hour twice a day he'd be completely house bound and would make so much noise the horrible people living below us would call the landlord and complain. People always warned us to not work him too hard because he was going to be such a big dog. Well, I don't know if we did it right or not but he's a pretty happy dog and isn't in any pain or anything. :)

bogolove

Brady needed (and still needs) a lot of exercise when he was younger. He is over a year and at 80 pounds, and very muscular and seems perfectly fine. I would think if he seems exhausted to not push him, but since he is willing and happy to keep going, I am sure he will be fine. I would think something like trying to train them this early for agility or something could be very stressful on their growing bodies, but walking seems like a fairly healthy thing for a young puppy to do.

Renee knows a lot about GSD's, I am sure she will know.

Saje

Island dweller
Yeah ask Renee.

We did wear Maverick out once to the point where he wouldn't walk anymore. He just layed on the grass and wailed. There were so many times that people thought we were killing out dog! :rolleyes: I think his paws were sore. He'd been playing on the rocks on the beach for a long time and some of them have those barnacles I guess they are. He probably played to long on them and didn't want to walk back. Steve had to bundle up the 50+ lb puppy and take him home on my bike. Oh that was it! I remember why he wouldn't walk anymore. I was riding my bike and steve was walking maverick but maverick wanted to chase my bike and I'd have to ride circles around them. That's why he got so tired. LOL

Members online

No members online now.