HALP with kennel/room organization

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
for starters, this entire thing started because i feel that my current kennel is too small for the Miniderp. she cant stretch out in it and it just looks so cramped. her head touches the top :C so the next size up is the 30" tall and 42" long which is bloody gigantic, and now im freaking out how to arrange my room because holy crap stuff. i have a 6 ft tall HDX home depot shelving unit right now, like 3 feet wide and 25" deep, it holds my clothes, misc things like shampoos and dog product, all my food, dishes, crock pot, etc etc. (i rent a room so everything i own stays in this room)
the pile of luggages in the corner holds everything else i dont really use, and i end up with crap all over the room on the floor because theres nowhere else to put it. dirty clothes, dog food bin, space heater, papers, laptop, shoes, bag, groceries before i put them away, etc. it takes up like half the available floorspace and thats DOGGIE PLAY AREA D:
the current Miniderp kennel has a piece of deskboard (from a broken down desk i stole bits from) on top of it that has my laptop, water, plants, basically a nightstand for when im on my bed and need a surface within reach.
i need space ideas that maximize floor area but that still allow all my crap to stay in the room (dont trust the security of the garage or trustworthyness of the roommates). oh yeah thats also cheap. i was thinking a bunch of rubbermaid/sterilite bins in place of the "luggages" so i can sell those or throw them away, and bins are also easier to stack and organize. but then the other issue is that i want a fishtank soon, a 10 or 15 gallon, and iw as hoping to incorporate that into somethign that also behaved as storage, so i dont have a freestanding tank stand taht takes up space without being dual-use. or would an open shelving unit be better, even though its $50 and bloody gigantic? (and wouldnt hold a fishtank)

right now

vague idea?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Well, I can't be of any help with rearranging...but I will say, you can very easily use the top of the dog crate for storage. Abrams has the size of crate that you will be getting, and I am currently using it as my end table for the couch thanks to a sheet of particle board and a crate cover. It essentially functions as a coffee table. I put my dishes on it when I'm eating, I have a lamp on it, the laptop sits on it, I have all of my TV controllers/video games controllers on it, etc.

As long as you purchase a sturdy wire crate, you should be able to use the top of it for storage/shelving. I haven't experimented with how much weight the crate can hold...but I imagine it would be quite a bit. So, if you were storing things in rubbermaid containers or what have you, those could very easily stack on the dog crate.

Assamiea

I would get another HDX unit. The HDX will easily hold the weight of a 10 or 15 gallon tank. I had one that held a 20 gallon with no problem.

Personally if you go with another HDX, I would do 2 shelves beside the bed where you have the kennel right now, put the kennel where you have it in the second picture. You can then attach two of the HDX legs together to add height and potentially slide the kennel underneath and have a shelf on top (you'd end up with an extra shelf though that could just be a spare).

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
you can also get those totes from walmart and use them for a bed frame/storage.

I had 8 of them under a full size bed and they where perfect. i little tall but i could store so much stuff. just make sure the stuff you use is in the one that can be slide out/in easiest.

i had 3 totes lined up on each side then two in the middle.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
the bed sits on the floor, hasno frame, so thats not a storage option. i didnt even think of only using 2 or 3 of the HDX shelves, thats a good idea

Assamiea, when you had a 20 gallon on yours, was it the 18x36 shelf one (says its rated for 150 lbs per shelf) or the 26x36 one (its the one i have, website says its rated for 200 lbs per shelf). id like to keep things small/cheap and maybe get the 18x36 one, which is $15 cheaper. but do you think its SAFE to have a 10 gallon tank on it? its pretty concentrated weight, not long and skinny like a 20 gallon

Saeleofu

Well, I can't be of any help with rearranging...but I will say, you can very easily use the top of the dog crate for storage. Abrams has the size of crate that you will be getting, and I am currently using it as my end table for the couch thanks to a sheet of particle board and a crate cover.
This. I have a 48" crate for Logan, and it has a piece of plywood on top (since I also use it as a grooming table at shows), and at home it's used as storage - right now I have my light box, mouse, mouse supplies, and a few random pieces of stuff on top of it.

Assamiea

Assamiea, when you had a 20 gallon on yours, was it the 18x36 shelf one (says its rated for 150 lbs per shelf) or the 26x36 one (its the one i have, website says its rated for 200 lbs per shelf). id like to keep things small/cheap and maybe get the 18x36 one, which is $15 cheaper. but do you think its SAFE to have a 10 gallon tank on it? its pretty concentrated weight, not long and skinny like a 20 gallon
I'm pretty sure it was the 26x36, but with the water, gravel and decorations I'd say that my tank was probably pushing about 30lbs over the weigh limit. I did have very slight bowing of the shelf but no cracking and I had it set up for years. I would say if you want to be safe then go with the larger unit if you have the space. A 10 gallon would probably put you about 10lbs over the limit of the smaller unit and a 15 gallon would run you over about 20lbs over the limit, but wouldn't come close to the max weight hold of the larger unit.

Romy

Taxiderpy
This. I have a 48" crate for Logan, and it has a piece of plywood on top (since I also use it as a grooming table at shows), and at home it's used as storage - right now I have my light box, mouse, mouse supplies, and a few random pieces of stuff on top of it.
Yeah, if you can incorporate the crate as a piece of furniture that sounds like it might be ideal.

Something like this?

This would probably even hold a fish tank.

What about getting full size loft bed frame with an office/desk space underneath for your laptop and stuff? You could probably find a nice one on craigslist at an affordable price if you keep an eye out.

This is a nifty loft bed design where it has steps, and the steps are little storage places. Smallish rubbermaid bins would fit perfectly in those.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
lol definitely not, though if i had decent income i would consider those things. i have probably $50 total to spend, preferably less. cant do a loft bed because my oldest dog sleeps with me and she cant do stairs or steps (which is also why the bed isnt up on a frame, makes it too high for her to jump)

Members online

No members online now.