Anyone give thier dogs glucosamine?

Athebeau

Yes, I give all my dogs daily Nutri Aid GCM which is a glucosamine supplement, with Vitamin C, Mag., Chon,

My Sister also takes these supplements, being a groomer full time you need to take preventaives.

I give many supplements, I am a huge holistic/homeopathic lover.

taratippy

Yep I give it to one of mine who used to limp after a run and get a bit stiff, she's improved no end

Athebeau

QUOTE by Amstaffer I give Athena one everyday, seems to help (She has Arthritis in one knee)
I've been meaning to mention to you that I don't often hear the name Athena. I named my Rottweiler Athena, I think she is the only Athena in my area. Did you get the name from greek mythology like I did?

I just wanted to add, that all my dogs get Glucosamine, even my dogs that have no problems at all. For me I use it as a preventative for problems later in life. For example, in my oldest Newf's line they all had OFA excellent hips, a couple in her litter developed HD later in life from degenerative lines..they also developed degenerative spinal problems (this is becoming a huge problem in Newfs) . All her litter mates were suffering crippling, degenerative problems as early as 6 to 7 years of age..and all are passed on now. Cassie comes from short lived lines, but, she is proving that good nutrition and homeopathic/holistic support is keeping her in good health and condition. She is 10 has barely any gray on her face, still plays with the others, is not crabby, healed perfectly from cruciate ligament surgery and later from a partically torn cruciate.

I use her as an example as I know that she is genetically prone to spinal/joint etc problems later in life. She is proof that I am on the right track;)

Amstaffer

Yep I named her from Greek Mythos, Strong and Wise was the Goddess Athena :)

I am a Social Studies teacher and I like to name my dogs after someone Historical. My male is Sal, which is short for Saladin.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I've given it to my terrier to over 5 years now due to arthritis and have put all my other dogs on it while young to help since they are large breeds.

Gilshuman

Yeah, Gil my border puppy kept going lame on his back end as a pup - as soon as I brought him home after he fell off a step. I gave him glucosamine for about 2 months and he improved very quickly and stopped going lame. He is now a few months over two and never goes lame. Highly recommend it!

An orthopedic vet told me to consider it when my dog sprained her ankle. It has obvious benefits for arthritic symptoms.

For those of you who are using it as a preventative, what information are you basing that on? Could you point me to a link or something to do some reading on the subject. I am against using anything on a long term basis that isn't needed but if there is a good reason to start now I'd like to learn about it.

Gilshuman

Arnica

Arnica is a great homepathic temp treatment for sprains and bruises Richard. You can get if from good health stores. 1 tiny tablet you put under your or the dogs tongue (which disolves fast). The quicker you use it when an injury occurs the faster it seems to work.

I used to do agility with 3 border collies and sprains and bruises were common. Arnica helped alot.

Athebeau

For those of you who are using it as a preventative, what information are you basing that on?
Richard D., I think for myself seeing is believing. For a large breed dog it's not going to hurt to have them on glucosamine long term because it is a natural substance. In the book "The Holistic Dog" by Jan Allegretti & Katy Sommers, DVM they say:
Glucosamines are produced naturally in the body and are necessary for the repair of connective tissues and mucous membrane linings, as well as for lubrication of the joints. They can be refined from sources in nature (from Cattle, poultry as well as sea animals), and used to augment the body's own production.

Sometimes animals are deficient in glucosamine production, or the body may use up more than it produces. In arthritis, for example, the ongoind joint degeneration creates a higher demand for the body's glucosamine. Supplementation can profoundly reduce the symptoms of arthritis, as well as other diseases such as colitis and other bowel probelms, disc pain, and some bladder conditions.

Because they are natural compounds, and chmically identical to substances that occur natrually in the body, they carry very little chance of side effects.
The reason I supplement all my dogs is first they are all large breeds and prone to joint problems later in life. Second, Newf's are prone to degenerative spinal diseases, so I want to prevent this. I have seen first hand the dogs that received no supplementation develop this degenerative disease and those that have been supplemented (from the same lines) have not seemed to develop this degenerative disease. My Dobe Beau is a large dog and is very agile, I use glucosamines as a preventative for the wear and tear he puts on his joints due to running, playing, jumping etc.

I don't own horses, but, my Sister does. Many of the girls at her barn who work their horses including my Sister give their horses glucosamine to prevent problems. Horse people always seem to be on the leading edge of holistic remedies and preventatives...I guess you have to be to avoid those high vet charges.:) . We first learned of Glucosamine over 25 years ago from horse people, this was before Vets ever recommended it.

Dani

Ninja Dog
Yeah, Bear gets glucosamine for prevention. She's not showing signs of arthritis (thankfully), but she's somewhat approaching seniority (she's about 6years old). That probably dosn't seem that old, but for a Mastiff cross it's getting there:( The dog I used to have also took glucosmaine, but twice a day. He was a senior and had pretty bad arthritis.

Pomp

Yes, I give both my beagles one every day. They are both young and healthy, but the vet thought we should give it to them as a pre-emptive measure.

Y

yuckaduck

Everyone here gets Vitamin C everyday after 6 weeks of age for ever and ever. Vets advice, good for prevention and helping with cures.

Yukon gets glucosamine usually one a day for maintainance but right now due to injury he gets two a day. Hope gets none, not needed for her. Faith gets none due to age but she will get half a one at 6 weeks old.

Jynx

mine are all on,,MSM w/glucosamine,,Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Vit E, Vit C

keeps them all nice and "limber" LOL
diane

Pomp

On the glucosamine supplements provided by my vet, the instructions state that one should be given everyday for the first 4-6 weeks, and then after that time period, they should be used every other day. Is that correct?

I am using them as a preventative measure since beagles are known to have hip and spinal problems. Is it ok to give it to them everday?

Members online

No members online now.