Dog suddenly goes in house

:confused: Hi! My dog is about 3 years old and has suddenly started peeing in one spot every once in a while. He seems to have no pattern of doing it as sometimes he goes weeks without peeing. I clean up the pee as thoroughly as I can so that the sent no longer remains but it seems to make no difference. He also doesn't just do it when alone - a few times me or a member of my family is standing right there and he just does it. What should I do? Any advice? I'm stumped...:confused:

Renee

Doberluv

Is he lifting his leg? In either case, he may be marking, which boils down to a leadership issue. I would also have him checked by a vet to make sure it's not a urninary tract infection, just in case. Otherwise, you'll have to do like you did when he was a pup and really watch him and prevent that....take him right out quickly if he looks like he's about to do it. As far as if he is marking his territory, I'd impliment some NILIF and beef up the obedience work. Marking territory in your house or in front of you can be a sign that he is unsure of his place in the family. He needs a very clear message (not harsh) that you control his resources and you are in charge....all humans are. In case you are responding to too many of his demands or requests for things, that can undermine your leadership status. So be careful about that. Remember that to be a clear leader, you act and he reacts, not the other way around. Let us know how it goes.

Zen Fox

Foxxy fox rave
Maybe it's not about uncertainty of place in the pack, but something as simple as wanting attention. But, it's probably about ranks, but just another suggestion.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Dogs eliminate to mark territory, or to empty their bladder or bowels.

They do not eliminate because they "want attention". That is a human quality.

Zen Fox

Foxxy fox rave
RedyreRottweilers said:
Dogs eliminate to mark territory, or to empty their bladder or bowels.

They do not eliminate because they "want attention". That is a human quality.

hahaha. Are you saying you've known of people that go to the bathroom on the floor to get attention? hahaha

Zen Fox

Foxxy fox rave
That was a joke, but dogs do seek out attention and I've known of dogs that will get "revenge" on their owners by eliminating in the house. My families first dog was extremely smart and always knew her place. One time, though, when she about 8 years old, someone yelled at her for whatever reason and she went to the bathroom in the living room. That's something she hadn't done in years. It was obvious she did it on purpose to make a statement. Cats are known to get revenge, also.

coripc33

I think housebroken dogs can pee in the house when they are scared, or feel that you/they are in some sort of danger. This may be the case with the dog that peed when someone yelled at her - not necessarily because she wanted revenge. I find it hard to believe that a housebroken dog will pee for attention - but maybe it happens. My dog knows that peeing inside brings negative attention from me (even though she hasn't done it in more than two months, she is now 6 months old), and why would she look for that? :)

Doberluv

I totally do not believe that dogs do something for revenge. That's a human emotion and way too sophisticated a thought process for a dog. They do not possess that way of thinking. The dog was either scared, like Coripc said, submissive peeing or marking territory, in which case, he probably didn't know his place as well as thought.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Dead on, Dober.

Zen Fox, you need to stay off the training threads unless you are asking a question.

bubbatd

When I moved in here, both my housebroken dogs went in the house. Only once , to mark that it was their home now.

Members online

No members online now.