Is it fair.....

jess2416

Who woulda thought
rabbitsarebetter's thread got me thinking...

Is it fair for an animal to spend its whole life in foster care, because the agency keeps turning away people from adopting...

I guess its so hard for me to see Charlie's picture STILL listed on petfinder after all this time :( He has spent his whole life in foster care (from 8-9 weeks till now ) and his foster mom, while she is a very nice woman isnt getting any younger and she told me herself that she couldnt give Charlie the attention that he deserved..Is that fair ??

I guess this is just mainly a rant becuase I'm still not over it, and I dont guess I ever will be..

squirtsmom

What an interesting post. In a perfect world, there would be a home for all animals or pets. But then again, there would be homes for all the homeless children too. And food. And love. I foster big dogs, havae had one lab mix for 1 year. Probably keep him too.

Dreeza

not at all...

I cant believe Charlie still hasnt been adopted out yet...aare you in touch with them at all??

I dont think its fair at all...we got turned down so many times...and yes, i still see some of the dogs on petfinder, and this was almost TWO years ago... (i am just praying that its cause they dont update...but i dont think thats the case). I just never got personally attached to any of the dogs, like you did to charlie.

I think we have provided a fantastic home for oakley, and am now thankful that those other shelters turned us down cause we wouldnt have ended up with the Oakster....but i still think it is BS that they turn down homes that have the heart to care for the dog, as well as the financial means to do so...just cause they have never had a dog (which is why i got turned down) before is the stupidest reason ever...

Toller_08

No, it isn't fair. However, I think it is 'more fair' to the dogs in foster care than it is to the ones sitting in cages their whole life (as a lot do at no-kill shelters).

bubbatd

According to the HS I got Ollie from ....he went from there to a foster home for 6 months . I don't know how long he was on petfinder.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Being stuck in foster care is better than if the dog were stuck in a kennel run in the shelter.
Oh I agree with that aspect of it....there's no question that foster care is better than being in a kennel run at a shelter...

Brattina88

I think it also depends on the foster parents...

But, honestly, why are dogs sitting in foster care that could be in perfectly good homes that have been turned down?

I think some rescue applications and qualifications are too picky !!

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
I guess some folks would consider me too picky. I kept a Malamute rescue for over a year until I found a home with a fenced in yard attached to the house, that had other dogs for her to play with, and had previous Malamute experience.

Do I regret being that picky? Not one bit. Found her an EXCELLENT home.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
There's a difference between being concerned picky and being "bitchy picky".

It's better for a dog to spend it's time in foster (provided it's a good foster) than in a shelter.

Jess, why don't you give the Charlie people another call? Maybe our letters have had time to initiate a trickle-down effect...

jess2416

Who woulda thought
There's a difference between being concerned picky and being "bitchy picky".

It's better for a dog to spend it's time in foster (provided it's a good foster) than in a shelter.

Jess, why don't you give the Charlie people another call? Maybe our letters have had time to initiate a trickle-down effect...
I agree, and I was actually thinking about that the other day, and I think I will :)

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Whoo I just finished looking at the threads you showed me Jess! :mad: :yikes: :(

WOW...that is all I can and WILL say! :mad:

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I just read the Charlie threads, and that is insane how they won't adopt them out to you! I can't understand why some rescues are so strict... ugh.

Members online