Dog Sledding

Airn

Do any of you know anything about dog sledding? I saw a Siberian Husky breeder/dog sledding place near the area I'll be when I go on vacation. It sounds really cool and BF loves Huskies. The web site sucks and I will call/e-mail to get more information but I'm curious as to what you guys think about it.

(I just had a conversation with someone who thinks dog sledding and carriages/sleigh rides are terrible for animals. I'm also going to be on a sleigh pulled by Clydesdale's. Now ,I personally think that's ridiculous. While I agree some dogs don't like any kind of work, I have seen too many videos of working dogs loving to....work.)

Anyway, thoughts on all this? And if you know of any cool/good/interesting places near Milwaukee feel free to share!

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
I live just an hour north of Milwaukee. Dog sledding is great I do it with my aussies

Do these dogs look tortured? lol

Well I don't sled but I dryland mush using a scooter (occasionally a bike) and if we get enough snow this winter we will skijor.

I can say with absolute confidence that the dogs love it. They LOVE it. They get to run and pull without anyone nagging them not to run or pull. :p

You can tell me if you think they look happy or not. ;)

ETA: This is what Maisy does when she hears the S-word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os2CfnK8j3U

Airn

I figured dogs enjoyed it. The person who told me this really took me by surprise because he loves dogs. But he has a little dog so I guess he doesn't really get the 'working dog' thing. (The horse part was even more ridiculous. I'm terrible for wanting to ride a horse? I think his reasoning was "With all the technology we have nowadays...") The Aussies look like a lot of fun! The Huskies I've met kind of freaked me out because they're so intense. And those eyes.... I don't know why I never considered other dog breeds sledding.

I didn't realize how huge Squash was. He looks like he would get lost in the snow. He is such an interesting looking dog! (In a good way, of course!)

It's something I would love to experience and me being the south where snowfall is lucky to get over 3 inches per winter... I don't get to do it. I thought it would be a nice treat. The person I'm looking at is in Malone, WI. I'll be in Fond du Lac, so it's like 30 minutes away. I'm a total social media person so when I see an organization that has a crappy web site I cringe. I didn't want to call and make plans and then run into some BYB with drooling, lunging, unsociable dogs. I know Chaz tries to avoid name dropping and I respect that, but if anyone does know anything about this group or another group, it would help a lot. I'm not buying a dog or anything. Just wanting to see what's it like to be on a dog sled : )

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
Too bad you didn't make it up here today, Fond Du Lac had it's yearly Dryland/sprint race, they give rides on a go cart with a 12 dog team after the race ends.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Yeah, when I see a husky confined to some suburban home that only gets out for leisurely leashed walks, and then see a husky that gets to be hitched up with a bunch of other huskies and ruuuuuunnn ruuUUUUuunnnn and RUUUUUUNN for hours, there's a big difference in life satisfaction there. Huskies love to run. They were bred for it, born for it, and when they get to do it they make the happiest derp faces.

Members online

No members online now.