Food that will help my dog digest

usurp

Belgian Shepherd Tervuere
I think I finally came up with a theory to my dogs problem.

I posted earlier about how my dog has been puking recently.
I also posted about how I believe my dog which is on a RAW diet isn't getting all his nutrition.

Now I think the both are connected. I think my dog is lacking something in his diet that helps create the enzymes that assist in digestion. This is why he isn't eating a lot and this is why he could be puking undigested food.

I remember reading about certain food that helps with digestion but i can't seem to find it. Will continue to google and check this thread to see if anyone here knows.

thanks

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
You could try plain all natural unsweetend organic yogurt :) Are you giving him any supplements? You can't just feed him raw meats without giving him other things to. Have you researched RAW fully? Their are lots of others here that feed raw so hopefully they can give you better advice. I prefer home cooking meats for my dog as well as adding fish oil w/vitamin E, yogurt, pumpkin, veggies, grains etc. He also LOVES all kinds of fruit :D

Check out this site: Great info on here ;)

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=probiotics

Last edited:

Herschel

You could try plain all natural unsweetend organic yogurt
I was going to suggest the same.

However, if your dog is throwing up undigested food then yogurt isn't going to help. This is more than an enzyme problem.

Is he processing anything? Are you sure there is no bowel obstruction? How is his stool?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I think I remember seeing something Summerriot posted about how Belgians don't tolerate chicken well and/or is causes some sort of liver problems. How much chicken are you feeding him?

I'm also going off of very fuzzy memory here, so Jenn can feel free to correct me.

I would find some very high quality probiotics to start adding in for a while and then talk to the breeder (didn't they feed raw?) and see if they have any suggestions.

I think it's the way you're feeding, not necessarily the RAW diet concept itself.

usurp

this is so confusing. i really am trying my best here.

well today his stool was black and was like a big blob. I think because i haven't been feeding him any bones just meat the past two days.

i usually feed him cooked chicken around twice a week.

I have supplements, Nupro All Natural Dog Supplements but my dog doesnt like it. Also have grizzly salmon oil but my dog also doesn't like that :(

Herschel

Fast him for a day. Then give him a non-chicken meal with the salmon oil and Nupro, including some ground bone.

If his stool is bad for one meal that doesn't mean anything. However, if it is chronically bad you really do need to get outside help.

shazbot

not so newby
this is so confusing. i really am trying my best here.

well today his stool was black and was like a big blob. I think because i haven't been feeding him any bones just meat the past two days.

i usually feed him cooked chicken around twice a week.

I have supplements, Nupro All Natural Dog Supplements but my dog doesnt like it. Also have grizzly salmon oil but my dog also doesn't like that :(

I would definately get him to vet ASAP. Black stool is sign of internal bleeding or distress. Have you taken him to the vet since all of this started?

usurp

yes i took him to the vet. he said my dog is very active and energetic so he is fine.

my dog only gets black stool when i feed him a lot of meat without bone. when he was a puppy i used to feed him just steak thinking it was good but his stool used to be always black and soft. users here advised me not to feed him too much muscle meat since that would happen and feed him more boney meat. when he eats boney food like chicken necks or sheep necks his stool is very light in color and dry and powdery.

the problem is i am in Kuwait and we only have one decent vet and i think i am the only one here who feeds his dog RAW so i dont think they have any experience with it. one of the doctors there was trying to convince me how its very dangerous to feed my dog raw food. luckily another doctor there actually knows a bit about the BARF diet and proceeded to explain to her that its actually good.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Boil him some hamburg and white rice for a couple of days. It is a bland diet for dogs who are having stomach/bowel issues. If he were my dog I would be very worried about what the raw meat is doing to him at this point :( Remember some dogs just don't do well on it and it is not for them.

Members online

No members online now.