my rott/shep mix back legs going out

floppydog

i have a rott/shepherd mix who is approaching 11 years old. his rear end is quickly declining. the vet says it's some combination of arthritis, hip dysplasia, and degenerative mylopathy (a shepherd thing?). he can still get up on his own when he really wants (esp if food is involved) and is generally still in great spirits. but it is getting worse fairly quickly. for example, he will at times poop where he lays instead of going outside (though he still waits till outside to pee). so how do i know if his quality of life has declined enough to think about ending his troubles?

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
That's a decision only you can make, but if he's to the point of pooping where he lays, how much quality of life can he really have left?

When the bad days out-number the good, then it's time to do it, and that's something you'll have to assess and consider.

Lolas Dad

Did the vet give you any medication to help out?

Jim Gearhart of NJ 101.5 had a rottie that had the problem your describing. He was going to have the dog put down but talked to one more vet first. She gave him a combination of two medicines to use and he said it was a difference of night and day. After trying the meds his rottie was like she was her old self. Unfortunately he did not give the vets name or what medicine she gave but I think if you probe a few vets enough they might be able to tell you.

Perhaps you might want to send him an email and ask him what it was

New Jersey 101.5 FM - Homepage

You should be able to email him through the website.

Barb04

Super Moderator
This decision is something that comes from within your heart. I have had to make this decision several times and it's never easy. Hugs.

Members online

No members online now.