Some breeders are snobs

mom2dogs

I show/ed AKC. It's kind of like with horse shows - I rather show at the A level because I get more satisfaction there then at a schooling show. Even if I wanted to show UKC (and if there were more shows around me when I lived in the states) there never seems to be enough competition in my breed and that is what I crave.

Now that I'm in Holland I don't have a clue - but at least now it'll be easy to ignore the "snobs" because I don't know the language yet :lol-sign:

Tell me about it! I've been sending out emails for months, and the ones that do reply are um....sketchy at best.

I guess I'll just wait to have a fila until I can convince you that I'll die without a Kharma pup. :D
I would far rather Kharma babies go to Chazzers than anywhere else :) I know you guys - you're my family. I see how you care for your dogs, I've gotten to know your personalities and strength of character.

Plus, I'll always be able to see how they are doing! :D And help you over the quirky spots, lol.

I would far rather Kharma babies go to Chazzers than anywhere else :) I know you guys - you're my family. I see how you care for your dogs, I've gotten to know your personalities and strength of character.

Plus, I'll always be able to see how they are doing! :D And help you over the quirky spots, lol.

All right then, go make me some babies. I should be ready for another dog sometime next year.

K thnx. :D

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Funniest thing I ever heard at an AKC show was...back in the crating/grooming area:

erm..."flamboyant" male handler comes back with lovely Collie and RWD ribbon...he tells equally flamboyant friend at the set-up,

"Oh...my...GAWD...I cannot BELIEVE the dog she put up! I mean...it looked like a homeless dog!"

You had to be there but I laughed FOR WEEKS...the tone and inflection was JUST too much. I still say that from time to time to my dogs when they get all scroungy lookin...

"Ellie you need a bath...I mean...you look like a homeless dog!"

Haha, that's so funny! :lol-sign:

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*

And just where are these Kharma babies? HMMM?

*waits*

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Well, I DO need to get a couple of hip/elbow tests done . . . . After I get back from California I have to find a job that pays me so I can get on with the process.
Or you can stay in Cali and find a job here. *bats eyes* I certainly would not complain about you being closer. :D

+1

From what I hear, competitive obedience isn't much better, and that's a part of it that I dread. I don't do the drama/politics/clique thing. It'll be me and my dog and that's all I'm going to worry about.
I despise that crap, and avoid it at all costs. I don't have sport dogs . . . I know from real life what my dog can do with cattle on pure instinct. I've seen first hand what she does as a guardian. I've seen her prove her temperament time and time again and witnessed her 100% CORRECT reaction to the sound of gunfire. I've seen her disarm a person without injuring them in any way (I saw her aunt/half sister Buffy do the same at 7 months old). I've seen her hunt. I'm aware not only of her temperament, but of the temperament of other dogs in her family background. I know her physical athleticism, stamina and capabilities as well as her intelligence.

THAT is raw and real. You can't fake it, you can't train it.

Of course, if I were dealing with conformation or sport dogs it would be a different matter. THEN it would be important to compete, and put up with the sophomoric "my dog's better than yours, so there" crap.

Some of the all out temper tantrums, threats, and verbal/emailed hissy fits that I've seen in conjunction with other bitesports have frankly horrified me.
*giggles* Well, it is BITEsport . . . you can count on there being plenty of back and ankle biting and some downright going for the jugular.

It might be fun, after an event, to post a website dedicated to handing out awards to the handlers and owners for their bite work :D

I despise that crap, and avoid it at all costs. I don't have sport dogs . . . I know from real life what my dog can do with cattle on pure instinct. I've seen first hand what she does as a guardian. I've seen her prove her temperament time and time again and witnessed her 100% CORRECT reaction to the sound of gunfire. I've seen her disarm a person without injuring them in any way (I saw her aunt/half sister Buffy do the same at 7 months old). I've seen her hunt. I'm aware not only of her temperament, but of the temperament of other dogs in her family background. I know her physical athleticism, stamina and capabilities as well as her intelligence.

THAT is raw and real. You can't fake it, you can't train it.

Of course, if I were dealing with conformation or sport dogs it would be a different matter. THEN it would be important to compete, and put up with the sophomoric "my dog's better than yours, so there" crap.
I think this is a very good point, and something that I am often found forgetting myself. Alapahas were bred for actual work. Teeny does not like bitework in the slightest. She wants NOTHING to do with it, period. But I know she is a fantastic protector and that she will step up when necessary.

Just recently one of the breeders I have become friendly with got a great email about one of his dogs. He had sold this pup, now an adult, to a truck driver who takes this dog with him when he's on the road. A few weeks ago while at a truck stop two guys jumped him while he was walking back to his truck. His driver side window was cracked open and his dog forced his way out, jumped the 8+ feet down to the ground and immediately latched onto one of the men, thus scaring off both of them, and saving his owner's life. This was a dog who had no training other than the basics, and who is friendly as all get out. But Alapahas have been bred specifically to be like this, and whether or not they excel in sport work (which tries to mimick the real life scenarios, but obviously isn't the same), they still can do the real work.

Therefore I shouldn't be so annoyed that Teeny won't do it. LOL!!

DanL

The backbiting and sniping is why the director of the working club I belong to doesn't do bite sports anymore. People talking down about everyone elses dogs while they smile in your face and act like your friend. I'm glad our club isn't like that. Everyone supports and helps everyone else, we all know our dogs are at different training levels and have varying degrees of potential. There is no jealousy or trash talking, ever.

LOl Im cured of brindle dogs Almost all the brindle greys we have had have been spawns of the devil himself.
Every dog I've ever owned has been brindle and it HASN'T been planned that way, I swear! Teeny is the only one who isn't all brindle (white with brindle spots) and I kind of have a thing for brindles . . . and mine have all been sheer perfection. *laughs hysterically at her own bold faced lie*

darkchild16

We are Home.
LOL NOw a dark/black brindle Im all for the first grey we fostered I almost failed he would actually sleep curled up with me and oh god he was a love I miss him. But mom wouldnt let me foster fail him.

Members online

No members online now.