Best Age To Neuter A Toy Breed (shih tzu/poodle)?

Juicy

6months or 2years? I've heard either one or the other, depending on breed and whatnot, what about a toy dog?

With a toy dog it doesn't matter as much. I think the big concern with large dogs is the potential for them to grow taller/lankier. Small dogs are generally done growing at 6-10 months. Large dogs may not quit growing until 24-36 months.

P.S There is a good sticky on early neutering in the Health section. Not sure if its about pediatric neutering or not, but it's worth a look. :)

Maxy24

so you don't have to worry about another oops litter I would do the 6 months, that's what most vets go for. If they can neuter rats I don't think a small dog should be a problem but talk to your vet about it.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
6-8 months is when i suggest for the chis...

simple reason for waiting till older is because larger breeds take longer to mature, a chihuahuas is done growing in terms of height and lenght by 8 months, a great dane is still growing at 2 years...

by neutering early on the larger breeds it can cause growth problmes, however with toy breeds this isnt a concern.

the only hold my vet has is she preferes to not spay/neuter the dog before 1 year if its under 2lbs...

rosesmom

My yorkie Rose was spayed by the breeder at 3 months. I was so glad I didnt have to go thru with it myself.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Preferably before they hit sexual maturity and definitely before any are rehomed. There is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED for another "oops" litter, Juicy.

milos_mommy

In your situation (not planning on showing, small dog, multi-dog family, etc.) i'd say six - eight months.

Members online

No members online now.