sick puppy?

ashlees

max is mine
we have a 9 week old boxer named Max. Today was the first day we left him outside all day by himself. We had a pen in the house but he howled and tore it up. we decided it wasn't big enough to be in all day and we had no other choice but to leave him out because he chews on everything if we leave him in the house all alone. He had water and food and his doghouse. we also have alot of trees and bushes for shade. everyday when i come home he's full of energy and wants to play. Today being the first day he stayed out all day, i come home let him in, and he runs and lays by the fireplace. he has no intrest in me or any toys. I noticed he didn't drink any water or eat and it's been 4 hours now and he still hasen't eaten or drank any water. I noticed when i first walked in he was pacing back and forth. If anyone has any suggestions on what could be wrong, it would be greatly appreciated. We're thinking he might have gotton dehydrated due to the heat and him not drinking anything.

bubbatd

did he drink the outside water ??? He may just be worn out. how long was he outside alone ?? A pup his age needs 3 meals a day . He may be depressed that you aren't there when he needs you . Another issue of puppies vs adoption. Sorry, but as a breeder if a family wasn't with their puppy, I'd suggest adoption.

Saje

Island dweller
I thought maybe heat stroke. And the pup does need to be inside where it's safe.

candy722

He probably had too much fun in the backyard. Or it's possible that he was depressed when you left him outside all day.

He may very well have gotten into something that's made him sick while he was outside alone. Outside alone is a dangerous place for a nine-week old pup! A puppy-proofed room, like a bathroom, is a much safer place for a pup when no one's home.

Not eating or drinking is a real cause for concern - I'd at least make a phone call to the vet.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'd call the vet. I'm thinking that he might have eaten something while outside.

It sounds like a call to the vet is in order. However, you stated you kept a 9wk old puppy outside all day because he tore up his pen in the house and will destroy stuff if free to run the house. Well... how about putting him in a crate? That is what we did with our little one, however, he will need to be let out of it every few hours to go potty. With only being 9 weeks old he can probably only hold it a couple hours. You live in Oklahoma I'm not sure how hot it gets there but it has been really hot here in Kentucky. My little yorkie boy couldn't even make it back from our walk he was so hot, my husband had to carry him back.

Members online

No members online now.