Weird food preferences?

krissy

Do your dogs have strange food preferences?

For example, Summit does not eat vegetables or fruits. If you offer Kili a carrot, apple, or banana she swallows it instantly, Summit MAY take it but then always drops it and looks disgusted. Which isn't weird at all... a lot of dogs don't like fruits and vegetables.

What IS weird? Offer him the same vegetable frozen and it's gone. He loves frozen peas and frozen mangoes. Then the other day I dropped a slice of canned peach on the floor as I was spooning it into a bowl. I called him over thinking the look on his face would be funny but he scarfed the thing down! What? It made me laugh.

What weird food preferences do your dogs have?

No! You're just up and posting on chaz too early :rofl1:

Didgie loves oily substances of all kind, including Vaseline, Mink Oil and my Mushers Secret ....does that count?

Didgie also is a huge fan or all fruit and veggies, to the point that if I put a bowl down with red meat and a tomato she ate the tomato first.

And I do the frozen thing too! Traveler won't eat veggies unless they are frozen (or Didgie is eating them) except for tomato's, which he loves. Oh! And Traveler hates duck. No clue why but he refuses to eat anything from one.

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
Nola loves olive and coconut oil. Loves it. She's also a huge fan of fruit, especially watermelon, apple, satsuma oranges, blueberries, pears and bananas.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Merlin loves coconut oil so much when I put it on my legs he chases me around trying to lick it off :rofl1:

He has a sweet tooth, which for a dog, I think is weird. HE LURVES cupcakes/icing! lol more than meat, more than treats, it's nuts!

krissy

Oh, and not that she was crazy about these things but Kili will eat ALMOST anything:

-Candy cane (she was confused by this one and kept spitting it out and picking it up again)
-Skittles
-Pretzel sticks (she was confused by this one because she couldn't get it lined up in her mouth to crunch down on it)
-Pickles

MicksMom

I haven't found a fruit or vegetable yet that Caleb doesn't like. But his weird food preferences? Peppermint Altoids and celery. If you even pick up an Altoid tin, he comes running and grunts. He likes the Spearming ones, too, but Peppermint is definitely his favorite. And celery? Ask him if he wants some, and he'll run & sits infront of the fridge.

Snark

Mutts to you
Mick will eat anything you hand him, I doubt if he even chews... :rolleyes:

Riley is known more for what he doesn't like (which most dogs like): he loathes peanut butter, carrots, liver, and won't eat his dinner if the ingredients (dry kibble, a few forkfuls of canned food) are mixed together. He likes things separated, thank you very much.

Parents' english cocker would eat grapefruit (or anything that Dad was eating), if it was good enough for him, it was good enough for her.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Roxie... likes... pickles! Dropped one on the floor the other day and she gobbled it up!

She will also do back-flips through fiery hula-hoops and ride bucking broncos for coconut oil (which imo is disgusting, but I have an aversion to coconuts) and venison sausage. All with a smile on her face.

Can't think of anything else at the moment (probably because it's long since escaped my mind that it's "odd")

Xandra

Roman likes bread. When I go to give the chickens old bread he pesters me for it so bad that I usually give most of it to him instead

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Bubbles likes most fruits. Pen will take fruit from me, but then walk around somewhere and spit it out. At which point Bubby generally goes at eats his share LOL.

Kimma LOVES pretzels. Like loves them. Jari seems to really enjoy tortilla chips LOL. They both seem to enjoy most fruits and veggies.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Quinn is a total food hound. She will eat just about anything she can! She loves broccoli, cucumber celery, carrots, any kind of melon, corn on the cob, apple, peaches, cranberries, blueberries, pomegranate, oranges and banana. She will also eat "bland" stuff like lettuce and tomato. She has a sweet tooth too - loves candy (loves gummy candy), ice cream and chips. Even if the flavors are sour or strong, she doesn't seem to mind.

She also knows the sound of the toaster because my dad would always share his toast with her.

Pretty much the only things she doesn't like are Zukes treats and almonds. But Ned likes both so that's okay!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Neither of mine eat fruits or veggies. Mia will shred all plant matter but won't eat it.

Neither of mine like popcorn or chips or pretzels or some breads. They spit them out.

Mia goes berserk for spaghetti. That's her favorite.

Summer is REALLY REALLY weird about texture. She does not like anything mushy- like ground raw or canned food. She will eat soft food but squishy and mushy just seems to weird her out a bit. I was trying to give them some canned food for dinner last night and Mia acts like it's the best treat ever and Summer will eat a bite then ignore the rest.

Nard would do ANYTHING for a cheerio. Seriously, they are his favorites.

Mia took a lick from the top of a beer bottle a couple months ago and you would have thought it killed her. It was hilarious. She just barely touched her tongue to it then went sputtering backwards, shaking her head. (No, I don't let her drink beer before anyone asks)

Assamiea

Rocky likes bread and toast but it has to have something on it (butter, jam, etc). If you give him plain he'll spit it out, but put the tiniest bit (like microscopic) of something on it and it's the best thing in the world.

Baxter loves ice. Everytime we use the ice dispenser he comes running and hopes that some of the ice will fall on the floor, but put an ice cube in his water dish and "OMG! It's been poisoned!!!"

JacksonsMom

Jackson refuses to eat anything fruit or vegetable-like. Even dog treats flavored as such (sweet potato treats = icky). He HATES any kind of potato. He won't touch potato chips, french fries, etc. He is iffy with peanut butter too. Which is odd for a dog, right? LOL...

Plain breads, and cracker type things, he usually won't eat either.

For as much of a begger as he is, he sure is choosy.

Jare

All For The Pit Bulls
The only veggie I can get Aija to eat is lettuce and green beans, and sometimes a carrot but she usually just plays with those. She likes most fruits, but doesn't like the texture of bananas and there is no way in hell she will ever touch a citrus fruit.

Nellie will eat any fruit or veggie ever. When I used to have guinea pigs she would always steal the bell pepper slices I fed them. She will not eat pickles.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Riff LOVES bread. It's like crack to him. We have to store it up high or he'll get it and eat it. He also really likes green beans. He's unaffected by cayenne pepper and white vinegar - actually I think he likes cayenne because he would eat mouthfuls of dirt that had the pepper sprinkled on it. Yuck.

Rowan isn't big on vegetables but he'll usually eat them if the alternative is Riff having it :p He likes strawberries. On rare occasion he gets a drop of alcohol (not on purpose, we're clumsy so little spills happen and if he's right there, he'll get a taste before we can wrangle him away.) He likes red wine and scotch - kept begging after he tasted them. I was shocked. It seems like those would be gross to dogs! They both like champagne but Riff recoils from any other alcohol. He'll run up, lean down to taste it, and then jump back when he smells it.

Katem

All three of my dogs like pickles, but Pig goes nuts for them. Which I find particularly amusing since pickles is one of her nicknames.

Bear will almost always eat the head off of whole fish first. Sometimes he will only eat the head. Badger prefers fishcicles, unless it's not a whole fish (ie, diced up or just salmon bones).

Bear doesn't always eat whole carrots, but he looooves carrot peels. All three dogs like green beans. Pig likes lettuce. Pig also reallllly loves alcohol. We have to be super careful if people around her are drinking because she WILL steal their drink. She has even attempted to drink whiskey. Bear has actively avoided spilled beer.

Everyone comes running if they hear me opening the coconut oil jar.

I keep 2-3 days worth of their food in a 'meat bucket' in the fridge, if they hear me touch that, even if I'm just moving it out of the way, they will be right there within seconds.

Kafka(cat) will eat lasagna. He is a large, orange cat so I find this endlessly amusing. He'll also eat pretty much anything else. Including, at one point, a piece of buffalo chicken that fell onto the floor. He now sniffs at things before eating them. Miss Kitty Fantastico once took bites out of a cheeseburger like a person. Basically the cats think they are people.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
My dogs don't have too many quirks with food, except Millie's phase when she loved trying to eat baby tomatoes.
Fable LOVES Mountain Dew, though. Millie will lick up some if I accidentally spill a drop, but Fable is totally obsessed with trying to steal my soda.

Members online