Westminster

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I didn't watch but the mals are sure getting a verbal beat down from my friends on Fb. Sucks...
Virtually all of them are from one of two breeders...kinda weird. But yeah the show Mals already look rather distinctly different than the sport/working Mals.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
How is being def NOT a DQ Fault?
I think you might be confused - the dog that won is NOT the blind/deaf double merle. He is the son of the blind/deaf double merle.
The blind/deaf double merle could never be shown. You can't show a dog that is blind, deaf, neutered, or physically altered in any way (except for when the standard allows such as cropping/docking.)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
How is being def NOT a DQ Fault?
The dog who took BOB is not deaf. His sire is deaf (and blind) due to being an (intentionally bred) double merle. The sire has never been shown but is used quite a lot for breeding show dogs.
That was my first thought as well. You almost cant tell if its a Mal, since they look so much different.
They look like Mals to me until they move. They are...stiff, for lack of a better term. The fluffed out coats add to that impression.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
I think you might be confused - the dog that won is NOT the blind/deaf double merle. He is the son of the blind/deaf double merle.
The blind/deaf double merle could never be shown. You can't show a dog that is blind, deaf, neutered, or physically altered in any way (except for when the standard allows such as cropping/docking.)
yeah , i thought the dog was deaf , from a double breeding.
i see the whole picture now. i think i am going to go throw up now.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
One of my sister's mother in law's cairn terriers is there this year. That's a mouthful....

Just a fun fact for you lol I don't watch Westminster so I have nothing else to contribute. :p

Romy

Taxiderpy
While I detest intentional double merle breedings, that article is pretty inflammatory and misleading.

The Collie Club of America is currently plagued by chaos over the acceptance of sable-merle as an appropriate color, the President has resigned over the issue and factions are forming on each side. There are no known health issues with sable merle other than those with single merle and double merle, and yet the arguments over the ethics of crossing color lines in this case is paramount in the breed and little to no attention is being paid to the horrible ethical consequences of allowing breeders to create infertility, dead fetal puppies, and blind and deaf Collies simply to get a few more merle dogs each litter.
I don't even know why they brought sable merle into it for one thing. The merling in sable merls is identical to the blue merle. The only difference is in blues the merle is overlayed on tricolor, and in sables it's overlayed on sable. IMO, keeping blue and sable lines separate is detrimental to the breed because you're still essentially breeding for color.

Crossing color lines does not produce dead fetuses and blind deaf puppies. :rolleyes: From a color standpoint, all sable merle means is that you can get more colors per litter (merle notwithstanding), vs. one or two.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
While I detest intentional double merle breedings, that article is pretty inflammatory and misleading.

I don't even know why they brought sable merle into it for one thing. The merling in sable merls is identical to the blue merle. The only difference is in blues the merle is overlayed on tricolor, and in sables it's overlayed on sable. IMO, keeping blue and sable lines separate is detrimental to the breed because you're still essentially breeding for color.

Crossing color lines does not produce dead fetuses and blind deaf puppies. :rolleyes: From a color standpoint, all sable merle means is that you can get more colors per litter (merle notwithstanding), vs. one or two.
That's what they did with Cardigans . . . by banning merles other than blue, they basicly split the breed into two color groups red/brindle/sable and black/tri/blue. All to avoid sable merles . . . does not strike me as the best thing for the breed.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Romy I think you are misreading. His point is that it's ridiculous that the breed club is fighting over colors (sable vs. not sable, sable w/ a single copy of merle) because of how hard it is to see merleing on a sable dog...thereby increasing the risk of inadvertently breeding a double-merle...when there is an obvious case of someone actually and intentionally breeding double-merle right in front of them. That the breed club should be stopping THAT, before fussing over the sable question...

Members online

No members online now.