Oh the irresponsibility...

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
My friend's dog is possibly pregnant. Actually, I'd be shocked if she isn't, because she's been with a male about 4 times....

I just want to scream and lecture BOTH owners involved. My friend's dog is 2 years old and I'm pretty certain she's a jack russell/rat terrier mix. The male is an 11 month old lhasa apso/poodle mix. :( I'm angry that they didn't get her spayed, or at least keep a better eye on her if she's gonna be intact... and I'm angry at the owner of the male because he SAW them get together and just watched, and he knew she wasn't spayed.

They didn't get her spayed because they can't afford it, so if she does end up having puppies I don't know how they'll pay for them. Or God forbid she needs a vet's help while whelping or something....

Oh yeah, it also sickened me when I was told they were planning on breeding her eventually anyway, with a min pin. :rolleyes:

Are there any good online resources now that it's said and done? I have very minimal knowledge of even the basics, so something outlining what happens/what to do during the pregnancy and what to do once the pups are here would be helpful. As long as my schedule allows it, I plan to be there when the pups are being born, and just to help out with the litter in general. Quite honestly I don't expect anyone to take this seriously--my friend's mom wants to make money off of them, I'm afraid they're going to end up horribly undersocialized, so I want to be equipped with as much knowledge as possible so that I can help out and make things at least a little okay. For the puppies' sake.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I know some people aren't cool with this idea, but: if she's early along the pregnancy can be ended and the dog in question spayed. It's not a pleasant thought, but it would avoid the costs involved with pups and prenatal care *and* prevent a litter of unwanted pups from entering an already overcrowded world.

naturesgift

Mo Wildlife Rehabber
Im not sure how you can go about taking a friendss dog and spaying her...when they planned to breed anyways...

under handidly (sp) you could get a shot so the pregnancy does not take. (If its still early enough) and no one but you and the dog would be the wiser.

But sometimes all you can do in the end is be there for the pups and pick up the pieces.. meaning if they cant afford a spay..you may have to buy all vaccinations and worming meds...but if they do sell a pup I wouldnt expect anything in return.

but I will let the experts give you all the details of proper socialization. Heck I cant remeber the name of the book bubbatd had me buy, its great reading though and you can get it at amazon.com.

Mandie

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I've thought about suggesting the e-spay, however I'm a little worried about overstepping my boundaries and offending them or something. Especially since they do want puppies (they didn't want them now, and not with this particular male, but they did want her to have a litter), I really can't see why they'd go for it. If I were closer to the family I might be more tempted to suggest it, but alas... I'm not.

I've been looking into low-cost vaccination and spay/neuter programs for them, and if I have a job once the pups are born I wouldn't mind helping out a bit financially as well. Hopefully they take advantage of that.

They're so irresponsible with every pet they own, I shouldn't be surprised about this. For some reason I thought she was spayed already.

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
Who cares about offending them IMO.. The fact that your not that close to them makes it better.. Id find it harder to tell somebody that i was close to about their mistakes and what they should do.. Hell, In cases like this I dont care WHO it is. I tell them.

showluver

Thats just ignorance to begin with IMO to want puppies from a mixed breed dog, then to look on as the 2 dogs tie and do nothing!

I do understand your position in confronting them, its a tough spot to be in. For the dogs sake, find a way to spell out reality to them.

adojrts

I highly doubt you will change their minds considering that they wanted to breed her anyway.
So the big question is can they now be educated in what to do with a inwhelp bitch?
You may have to walk away if they are not interested on any level learning what to do and what not to do, to get a live healthy litter on the ground with no or little risk to the dam.

Romy

Taxiderpy
How big is the father? Do you think you could be convincing enough about thinking that she will need a pricey c-section that they would be willing to do an emergency spay? They might not care then even, but it's worth a shot and that way you could suggest it without seeming like you're being judgmental, just worried for the dog and their wallet.

adojrts

Doesn't matter if he or she was the runt, genetics come into play of who is behind them in the pedigree and their size. Jrts can have very large skulls and c-sections are not uncommon.

My last c-section bill was over $750.00 and of course there were added bills later for other problems. With lost wages, that litter cost me thousands, actually it was close to five thousand and that included the stud fee for 3 pups.

And there is also the risk of Eclampsia which is common for small breeds when in whelp and especially during lactation. If they feed a cheap food that risk is much higher. If they don't know the signs and don't seek immediate Vet care, the bitch is guaranteed to die..........orphaned pups now to raise.

If the pair only bred once, risk of a singleton pup...........c-section.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I'm working on the e-spay.

One of my other friends is a loooot closer to the family (like, she hangs out with our friend's mom, that's what the relationship is like), so she's gonna talk to them tomorrow about it. I'm not sure how the conversation came up today but I told her that the possibility of Jewels needing a c-section is VERY likely (I don't know how true that is), but even if she doesn't need medical intervention... who is going to pay for the pups for 12 weeks? She wasn't thrilled about the pregnancy either but I think she just assumed that everything would work out just fine... and it seems I brought her down to reality, so she's gonna talk to them about an e-spay.

I gave her a link to a rescue with a spay/neuter program, you fill out an application and depending on that they'll pay for between 10-100% of the costs. Honestly I think they could qualify for 100%, or at least very close to that.

So, we'll see... I'm trying.

adojrts

Good luck, hopefully they understand how much of risk they are putting her in and do the spay. Most Vets will do a abort/spay before 30 days of possible gestation, so they don't have much time.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Ugh I know, I hope this isn't something they sit and ponder about... it really shouldn't be that difficult of a decision. They don't have the money for puppies, period.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I hate these situations, I work with a friend I've know for years. She has a very human agro little pom mix and he's already fathered a couple of litters and she wants him to have more. Sure he's a good looking dog but his attitude is terrible. I'm the only person outside his family that can touch him and thats only becauise I lived at their house for a week and have spent 40 hours a week there since putting a lot of effort into making him comfortable with me.
I've had long conversations about it with her and she won't get past "but some people want to continue that "line""... ergh.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
This is old but I just want to update that she is very pregnant and will probably pop any day now. :(
I'm honestly expecting some sort of tragedy to occur. I just don't see this going smoothly at all.

Members online

No members online now.