Which grain-free would you start with?

621mum

Evo
Taste of the Wild
Orijen

Or something else?

The only one I'm just not considering at the moment is Canidae dry because they have me p.o.ed

Romy

Taxiderpy
Evo
Taste of the Wild
Orijen

Or something else?

The only one I'm just not considering at the moment is Canidae dry because they have me p.o.ed
Are you going grain free for allergy reasons or just for general good health?

Strider just finished a bag of wellness core. He did not do well on it. Someone else's dog may, but not mine. Yesterday I picked up a bag of TOTW bison and venison. He has always done better on red meats in the past, so hopefully this will do the trick.

Natural Balance duck and potato or their fish and potato are good allergy formulas many have had success with. My only problem with that food is around here it comes out to about $2.00 per pound, and there are better foods for my money than that price.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
How old are your dogs? I see ages in your siggy, but I'm wondering if they're current. :) Generally I wouldn't feed a very young puppy, mostly a dog that's going to be large, anything like EVO. I think it's because the protein levels (they're usually higher in grain free foods) can cause a dog to grow too rapidly which is horrible for their joints, etc. That's been my impression, but anyone who sees if this isn't correct, of course correct me.
I don't think there's a "right" grain free dog food to start with. I went from Canidae to EVO when I first switched to grain free.
Sometimes at first there can be loose stools after such a switch, but will often straighten itself out. If that's not the case however, and your dog really isn't doing well on it, try another. While EVO, TOTW, and Orijen are all high quality foods, some dogs do well on one and some don't.

621mum

The puppy is 9 months old now and big dog is 3.5. I'm mostly switching to grain-free because I need to switch anyway (they hate the new Canidae) and it seems like g-f might be good for them. Plus, the puppy has urinary incontinence and I've read that g-f food can help with that, so it's worth a try. Puppy is a little sprout (30 pounds at 9 months) so she's not going to be a big dog. :)

BostonBanker

While EVO, TOTW, and Orijen are all high quality foods, some dogs do well on one and some don't.
I agree. I've used Evo, TOTW, Core, and Orijen, and while all are great foods, and I know people who swear by one of the other, I have been so pleased with Meg on Orijen that I've basically stopped rotating her dry foods. I switch between the fish and the original formulas of Orijen, and use different protein sources of raw for better variety. She seemed healthy and her stomach did well on the Evo, but didn't have the same "glow" about her as she does on the Orijen. Both the TOTW and the Core seemed to give her very mild, but noticable, upset stomach.

621mum

And now the puppy is not only refusing to eat the new Canidae, but if she does, she barfs it up about an hour later, totally undigested. Man, I'm pissed at those people.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I love Taste of the Wild. It's definitely my favorite out of the 3 options. ; D

My boys love the taste of TOTW (haha, get it?) and they did very well on it when I was feeding it. I also love the option of the three, very different but equally high quality, formulas. Evo puts weight on my dogs, who normally don't fluctuate at all, and they don't enjoy the taste of Orijen, and I was overall unimpressed by how they did on it. I know a dog who just doesn't look right or have good energy, who has been fed Orijen for life, so maybe that stigmatized it for me.

But, more than anything, it's about your personal preference and what your dogs do best on; maybe get some samples and mix them in with the new food, to get an idea of how they like the food and how they react to it?

Barb04

Super Moderator
I think each dog is an individual and you have to see what your dog does best on.

TOTW is rising on the preference list for many areas but I've also recommended EVO. I think it is a matter of preference and availability. If you are not sure, get a few sample bags to use as treats and see which you dog prefers.

dogaddict

My dog is currently on a rotation diet of Addiction foods' canned and raw dehydrated and some home cooked food. I'm also thinking of starting him on Addiction's grain-free dry Salmon Bleu, anyone tried this? Maybe you could consider it?

Members online

No members online now.