eating to fast

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Mary would inhale if you put her on the moon and her food on a star
wouldn't matter if she were alone in a box with a fox and only had lox hehehe

i give her a little then a little more..to at least get some good out of the meal..i am not even sure if she tastes it! When Victor had his birthday party i bought three cheese bagels thinking that would be good and tasty for more then a few seconds..they will like this! (do not do this the gas will kill you later) even so Mary swallowed hers darn near whole and suffered while they chewed and chewed..poor Mary.
http://www.chazhound.com/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=4707&cat=500&ppuser=2623
she thinks they must have had three bagels to her one:eek:
pic is too little to tell but she is licking her chops

dirtmcgirt

Keeper of a Corso & Saint
RedyreRottweilers said:
Put the dog in a crate where he can feel safe while he's eating.

I agree.. feeding him in his crate may help..
You might want to think of ways to reassure him that no one is going to take his food from him, while he is eating..

Also, if you put a large object in the middle of his bowl and make him eat around it, it may help slow him down as well...

Here's something that helped my dog and my mother's dachshund as well. We took a new tennis ball (new because it's clean) and put the ball in with the food when you serve it. It's more difficult to eat around the ball, so the dog just ends up eating slower.

I do agree, however, that your dog sounds like he is experiencing anxiety when people get closeby. Another suggestion that might help if your dog is only anxious, and not aggressive. Try treating him during his meal. Walk nearby and toss a special treat into his bowl every few seconds or so. He will start to associate good things with someone walking close. Hope this helps!

Try putting water in with the food, that's what I had to do with one of my dogs to get him to eat slower. When there is water in with it, it's really hard for them to eat it too fast. Another great idea is to feed him out of interactive treat balls. It sounds like he might be doing a little bit of resource / food guarding, and this is the first sign of it. He's not growling yet, but he doesn't want you to take it away from him so he eats it faster. (again I said sounds like, I haven't seen it so I could be wrong). Along with doing the water thing, or one of the other ideas others have given, try every time you walk by, just drop a treat by him. He'll soon learn that it's a good thing when you walk by, you aren't coming to take his food away, but to give him a goodie :). Hope this helps! There are other things you can try with guarding food too, but I suggest trying this first. It might take a while, but he should start catching on. If not, let us know and we'll try to help you out further :). Thanks

~Amy~

Kama

I have the same problem with my six month old spaniel. He basically inhales his food. I have started doing two things and sometimes I do one, sometimes the other.

First, hand feeding him 3 or 4 kibbles at a time. Second, I got him a treat ball made by Kong. It is red with deep ridges on the outside and a hollow for the food in the middle. You should be able to find it at Petsmart. We fill it up and give it to him. As he rolls it some of the kibble falls out. It requires him to use a bit of intelligence and at the same time it slows down his eating.

Members online

No members online now.