Dog Whines All the Time

jhowell

A lot of people complain about their dog whining while they are in their crate or at night, but my dog is perfect in her crate. However, she whines during the day while we are there with her. Even when we are playing with her (which is about 100% of the time and exhausting) she still whines. I try to ignore her but it doesn't help. I'm pretty sure she is physically OK. Maybe just spoiled? We are in the process of building a fence but that may take a month (we are waiting for the weather to warm up). I'm thinking more excercise will help. But in the meantime, any suggestions on how to reduce the whining? It's annoying. This dog is 8 months old (we've had her for 4 months). She has done this from day 1.

Doberluv

What kinds of things are going on around her when she's whining? Are you sure she has nothing bothering her physically? How much exercise and brain exercise is she getting? (obedience training?) She may be bored. What kind of reaction do you give her, even if it's only some of the time she's whining? You say you try to ignore her. How long have you been trying that?

I'm just trying to get a feel for this. (It must be annoying. a-h-h-h)

Is there a certain time she whnes when you play with her? Like when she's excited or something? If it's when she's excited or stresst then try to minimise the exciting things going on around her.

jhowell

I really think it's more of a boredom thing. Perhaps playing ball isn't stimulating enough for her even though she likes it. There isn't a lot of excitement going on in my house. It's normally pretty calm. She has interactive toys (but they only last a few minutes and she gets bored). This is why I'm hoping it will get better once we fence in our yard. She is part Border Collie (we think) and needs lots of exercise. I've just never seen a dog whine this much before. I'll try getting back to playing games with her (like hide and seek, etc) but sometimes that is difficult with working full time and helping with homework, making dinner, etc. She whines when we have food that she wants and also if you leave the room (I understand all of these whines). But I just don't understand the whines when we are all together and giving her all of our attention. It's also hard to get everyone in the family to agree to ignore her when she does this, so that may also be increasing the problem.

aelizilly

Beagle Bailey
If I had to guess, I'd say she wants to be able to be oustide. Is there any way you can take her on walks? It sounds like your weather may not permit, but that may be an idea for resolution.

Doberluv

I agree with Aelizilly. A Border Collie is a working dog, an extremely high energy dog. A Border Collie isn't known for being merely a good pet who hangs out in the home most all day. They need a real job. They, as I'm sure you know are designed to run all day long, herding sheep or cows. I think the dog is frustrated and needs a job. Is there any way you can get her into an agility class? That's a great way to blow off steam and give her an outlet. Borders are terrific at agility. Obedience practice is also good for her mind. She's an intelligent breed and with a lack of exercise for the mind, that too, can frustrate her. A leash walk around the block a few times just isn't enough for this high energy dog.

Well, that's my take anyhow. I hope you can figure something out.

jhowell

Yes, we take her for walks each day. Some days it is difficult because of our northern climate. But Spring is around the corner! And since she is a true mutt, I'm hoping she only has a little Border Collie in her:)

You say you Try to ignore her when she's whining. Exactly what do you mean by this? She starts whining, say she does it for 1 min. and you ignore her, then you get annoyed and give in? What do you do when you give in to her? I'm guessing that's what you do since you said Try, if I'm wrong let me know. If you give in to her, you are just putting it on variable reinforcement and the behaviour will get worse and worse and Very strong. If you are going to ignore her, IGNORE HER!!! Everyone has to do it, you have to be very consistent, and NEVER Give into her no matter if she does it for 24-7. There Has to be a time she takes a break, when she is quiet for 3-5 seconds, mark that behaviour with a YES!!! And give her a treat and a bone or chew toy right away. Reward quiet behaviour, totally IGNORE the whining no matter what. Put on some head phones if you have to, but remember if you don't reward her when she's quiet, she won't know what you want.

I Do agree with more excersise, agility, more walks, and obedience training. Can you go hiking or anything? Get he one of those back packs that she can carry and go for a hike or long walk. Does she like to swim? When it's warm, take her swimming. There are many activities you can do with them to stimulate them, be creative :).

~Amy~

Doberluv

I agree with Amy on the ignore thing and marking the behavior you like and rewarding it. She'll soon figure out what gets her the good stuff, but consistancy from everyone who interacts with her is a must. Good luck.

aelizilly

Beagle Bailey
Amy, I just discovered your name embedded in your user name Rott... Pretty clever! Sorry, I had been seeing your user name and never tried pronouncing it b/c it just looked so strange. :p

Rofl, that's funny. Yeah I wanted something different and hopefully unique. I thought it looked kinda neat / different. Thanks :)

~Amy~

LOL, probably would have helped if I had the R lower cased as well. Oh wow, Doberluv, you live in Idaho? That's where I'm from! lol I'm not that observant either.

~Amy~

Doberluv

Oh wow! Boise. That's a long way off from here. Well, that's neat. So, do you not like Arkansas? I'm glad you're moving back to the gem state. LOL

Members online

No members online now.