Dehydrating Sweet Potatoes- Help

I purchasesd a Presto dehydrator to dehydrate sweet potatoes for Grace as it is kind of pricey to buy ones made in the USA. Anyway, I slice them about 1/4 inch thick, put them in raw and dry for about 5 to 7 hours depending on the size of the slice. When they are done they are dry but not crunchy (Grace likes them chewy) but when I store them in an airtight container I end up with some have sticky wet spots on them? I make sure they are totally dried and cooled before I store them. What am I doing wrong?

I purchasesd a Presto dehydrator to dehydrate sweet potatoes for Grace as it is kind of pricey to buy ones made in the USA. Anyway, I slice them about 1/4 inch thick, put them in raw and dry for about 5 to 7 hours depending on the size of the slice. When they are done they are dry but not crunchy (Grace likes them chewy) but when I store them in an airtight container I end up with some have sticky wet spots on them? I make sure they are totally dried and cooled before I store them. What am I doing wrong?
Dehydrators are great.
The best and healthiest treats are simply mixing some finely chopped chicken and liver, forming them in small pieces and dehydrate.
Roger Biduk

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Dehydrators are great.
The best and healthiest treats are simply mixing some finely chopped chicken and liver, forming them in small pieces and dehydrate.
Roger Biduk
This did not address the OP's question in any way. Who were you talking to? Some of your responses are borderline spam... yeesh.

NeNe, are you letting them cool down thoroughly before putting them in the airtight contained. If not, they may heat up the container enough to create condensation on the inside, which could drip off and make your potatoes wet and sticky.

Saeleofu

Definitely let them cool. Maybe keep them in the dehydrator just a tad longer, too - not long enough to get crunchy, but a bit longer than you are now.

I suppose you could refrigerate them if you keep having problems and see if it helps. I'd try longer in the dehydrator first, though.

NeNe

Thanks! Problem solved. I wasn't letting them cool down long enough. They felt cool but this time I left them out to cool for about 2 hours and no more wet spots. Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.