Another coyote story

Doberluv

Not very eventful or anything, but across the road from me is this big field. I've told you about it before. It doesn't seem to belong to anyone and there are old, dilapidated apple trees scattered around. I take the dogs over there often and let them off their leashes but because I know there are coyotes somewhere around there, (have heard them, especially at night) I keep the dogs pretty close. They mind me well. Anyhow, no sooner had I removed their leashes, I saw a big dog quite a ways off in that big field that's surrounded by woods. I leashed them up again just in case. I think it looked like a Golden mix as best as I could see from that distance. So, we're walking along. That other dog sort of disappeared into the woods. And I then heard the loudest screaming. I mean screaming which would break off into yipping and yodeling. Coyotes. I hope they didn't do anything to that dog. But I made a 180 and headed back for the side walks and that's how we finished our walk....through neighborhoods on side walks. lol. I never was that leary of coyotes, but after hearing some creepy stories about them grabbing little dogs right off their owners' leashes and even attacking a lady who was jogging, I decided not to take any chances.

This isn't the wilderness anymore where they tend to be more skittish. I can't believe this. LOL. Here, I came from grizzly bear territory, moose, all kinds of critters....that even came into my yard and on hikes I was rarely worried about it. But now I'm in the burbs and I hear screaming coyotes...like banshees...they must have babies already....and I'm speed walking (not running mind you) outta there. :rofl1:

Please excuse my bad form...changing tenses all over the place. Too lazy to go back and fix it. :eek:

Pops2

Please excuse my bad form...changing tenses all over the place. Too lazy to go back and fix it. :eek:
don't sweat it. if you're in a debate & the other side is attacking your grammer, it means you've won & they're trying to recover their ego.

Doberluv

LOL. Thanks Pops.

So, what do you think about the coyotes? Should I not be so worried if it happens again? Was I over-reacting? Do you think they'd really come out of the woods and get us? It's just so foreign to me to be afraid of coyotes. LOL.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I think everyone is pupping this week. Apparently one took a charge at my Dad this morning on the lower property on the coast.

He said he was going to see if he can bark him out tomorrow morning to apply a correction of the proper lead size.

Tazwell

Yes... They are in full swing. I woke from a dead sleep last night to hear the largest pack of coyotes I think I've ever heard, yapping like a freakin bunch of banshees-- right outside of my dog fence, about 40ft from where I was sleeping. It was probably the most terrifying thing I've ever woken up to, before I realized what it was!

Doberluv

I think it's cool to hear them...kind of eerie. But wow! One charged your Dad Kat? Holy cow! Of course, some of those eastern Coyotes are suppose to be bigger and badder aren't they? What does it mean to apply a correction of the proper lead size? Well...I guess I should stay out of that field for now while they have young. Wow Taz...that's close! 40 ft! Yes Renee...I remember some of your accounts of incidents with coyotes and it seemed so weird because all the places I've lived where there were coyotes, they were shy. When we lived near here before I moved to Idaho, we lived on 5 acres and there were other houses in a development of 5 and 10 acres parcels. The coyotes came into the properties and even close to some peoples' houses...bold that way, but shy if they saw humans or domestic dogs. My Lab, Bonnie ran about 5 of them off one day when they were in the driveway. She ran, barking viciously and they high tailed it out of there, yelping all the way down the hill...same thing on horse rides on the trails. And in Priest Lake, they were also very skittish if they saw a human or domestic dog. They didn't come too close either. I haven't seen these coyotes, but have heard them several times. They're probably 600 to 1000 feet away. (I'm not too good at judging distance)

I just wish my neighbors would keep their kitty inside. They lost their cat for some time and I thought the worst. Then the cat returned. I was standing on my porch in the dark and felt this light pressure on the bottom of my calf. It spooked me and I looked down, thinking I was having some kind of neurological problem and it was the kitty rubbing along the side of my leg. LOL. I sure hope she doesn't get eaten because she's the friendliest, cutest kitty ever. I just wish she didn't come around my house because if Toker is visiting, which she does often, she'd probably kill her. I kind of shooed her away...trying not to encourage her.

Gambit flushed two of them out of the bushes at my mothers house. It's hard to say who was more surprised. :lol-sign:

I told him that if he wanted to go back to his anscestral people, have at it, but don't expect to come crawling home and sleep in Mommy's bed. He elected to chase them to the woodline and come back.

It was very pretty so see all three of them running together, though. You could definitly see the coy when he was with them.

Taqroy

I think it's cool to hear them...kind of eerie. But wow! One charged your Dad Kat? Holy cow! Of course, some of those eastern Coyotes are suppose to be bigger and badder aren't they? What does it mean to apply a correction of the proper lead size?
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it applies to guns and the shooting of coyotes. Not lead as in dog lead, but as in lead weight.

Also, had I been you, I very well might have been running out of there. Lol. There are two coyotes living near the rescue I walk dogs at and (because I walk at night, usually by myself) we don't go anywhere near the ravine they live in. NO WAY. Lol. I like coyotes but from a distance and definitely not at night, by myself, with a snack size dog.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I think it's cool to hear them...kind of eerie. But wow! One charged your Dad Kat? Holy cow! Of course, some of those eastern Coyotes are suppose to be bigger and badder aren't they? What does it mean to apply a correction of the proper lead size?
They can be pretty darn aggressive when they have pups in the bank. It's ok though we don't have to worry about it for this year. :nono:

My dad said it took about five minutes to bark one up - and he had three show up even after he shot one - so it sounds like it was time to thin the herd. That is the lead correction. They'll never be doing that again. He said one had part of a cat (or small dog in it's stomach), one had been eating trash, and the last one looked like he found a fish.

Members online

No members online now.