Warning about treats made in China

I can't believe this is STILL going around. Years ago, when they first started selling the dehydrated chicken treats as a big thing in the store, I was a very good pet parent in reading the ingredient label and was so happy with it! I would have never thought to look for a "Country of origin", and half way through the jumbo sized Sam's club bag, is when I finally noticed it "Product of China". I cringe every time I see a bag of Waggin Train treats is someones cart. Even worse, I was duped again a short while later by Dogswell, when I was encouraged to buy a bag of their sweet potato treats and only later found the "product of china" stamp on the bottom of the bag! I was furious! I now look at every square inch of every bag of treats before I buy them!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I've been avoiding treats from China as well.

I was so upset when someone the other day (who knows about the whole China and sick dogs thing) when she gave Cricket some of the waggin train chicken treats without asking me. I ONLY stick with treats from either the USA or Canada.

JacksonsMom

It's so scary! I agree, I would look at them and be like "Oh, they HAVE to be healthy! It's all chicken!" and then see the Made in China stamp. Plus Waggin' Train has something about USA on the front so unless you are looking at the back of it, you'd probably just guess it's a US product.

naturalfeddogs

love the fluff
Thats why I buy chicken breasts from the grocery and dehydrate them myself. I feel like its safer, and it fits our raw diet as well. I can't stand thinking about the fact most treats and food have ingredients from China.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Be careful - packaging can be tricky as hell. Up until a few weeks ago, we were carrying VitaLife Chicken Tenders at our store. The bag says nothing about where the product was made, but it says on the top left of the bag "Inspected at a Canadian food grading facility" or some drivel. I always knew that they weren't North American... but in a recent shipment the little silica gel packet had some sort of nondescript Asian language on it. That was enough for my boss to finally pull them due to this recall stuff.

Turns out a lot of dogs have had issues with VitaLife as well as the other China-originating treats.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I love the bags that say "Product of USA" with a big flag, and then in tiny print somewhere they say "Processed in Mexico"

They sell junk to big Pharma companies making drugs that are supposed to save people, yet they put junk in their to make an extra buck and end up killing people. They put junk in their baby formulas and other human food products to increase profits, what do you think they put in the pet food that we feed our animals???????

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
They sell junk to big Pharma companies making drugs that are supposed to save people, yet they put junk in their to make an extra buck and end up killing people. They put junk in their baby formulas and other human food products to increase profits, what do you think they put in the pet food that we feed our animals?????
Unicorn turds, obviously!

Also, a lot of the new Dogswell treats are now being manufactured in the United States (yay!)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Even worse, I was duped again a short while later by Dogswell, when I was encouraged to buy a bag of their sweet potato treats and only later found the "product of china" stamp on the bottom of the bag! I was furious! I now look at every square inch of every bag of treats before I buy them!
Sam's Yams makes dehydrated sweet potato treats that are made in the USA, Frodo LOVES them!

Sam's Yams makes dehydrated sweet potato treats that are made in the USA, Frodo LOVES them!
Yes, I did hear about those! Still have yet to see them here anywhere :(. Oh well, my dogs don't complain when I feed them my food as treats anyway, they love cheese crackers and string cheese.

I love the bags that say "Product of USA" with a big flag, and then in tiny print somewhere they say "Processed in Mexico"
Which ones? Any that we sell?

Ditto. These are AWESOME! Plus, the "Bichon Fries" always cracks me up. :D

I've just been getting those humongous plastic barrels filled with animal crackers or pork rinds for the longest time. Really need to get out all my dog treat recipes though!

el_pic

Technocat
Story after story on junk from China.
Dog treats food, human PX food componets, tools, auto parts, etc etc ...
Year after year ...

Shut down trade and cut off the contracts for labor and supplies.

Or just don't buy the products and complain to the store managers. Why bring the government into this? They'll just screw it up and we'll end up HAVING to buy from China for some ludicrous reason. :wall:

Members online