Do my dogs need yearly boosters?

KenyiGirl

Navy Sister
My vet called and said that Molly needs a booster for her distemper and parvo vaccinations. I asked how often these boosters need to be given and she said yearly. My dogs are both completely up to date on all vaccinations that my vet reccomends, but an annual booster seems excessive. Is it actually needed? Will she need any more boosters for that particular vaccination?

lizzybeth727

Most vets do recommend giving yearly boosters for parvo and distemper.... yearly for the dog's life. Many vets also recommend other vaccinations yearly as well.... such as bordatella.

Legally, only rabies is required, and some states have gone to a three-year vaccine so they only have to be given once every three years.

There has been a lot of research recently that shows that once a dog is a certain age (can't remember at the moment), that further boosters are not necessary. You can also get titers to see if the dog's immunity is still sufficient to not need boosters.

I can't tell you not to listen to your vet's advice. I might suggest, though, doing some research on this and taking that research to your vet to discuss whether it is necessary in your situation. They can't force you to get the shots done if you refuse the service.

elegy

overdogged
the current recommendation from the veterinary schools is puppy shots, one year booster, and then boost every three years.

lippylulu

usually every year

Shots are usually given every year, though after the first Rabies shot the Rabies booster is given every 3 years. I am definitely going to research to see if the recommendations for "yearly" vaccines have changed. It would be nice to save the money and sometimes all these shots at once leave the dog feeling crummy for a few days. I had an Italian Greyhound and at age 14 the vet agreed we would stop all vaccines except Rabies which is required by law and Bordatella since that is something that can be picked up easily in a public place or fro my other dogs. By age 14 the dog probably had immunity to everything anyway and all those vaccines caused him sickness which were a greater threat to his health than the diseases they protected against. He lived to the grand old age of 17 1/2. I now have a dog who is 13 and wil likely run titers on him this year to see if he needs all those shots. The titers cost as much as the shots.

Members online