Purina, Nutra Gold or Pedigree?

usurp

Belgian Shepherd Tervuere
Hi, my dog's been on a barf diet since he was a puppy but its been over a year now and I don't think I am doing it right.

My dog is skinny, and every once in a while is puking what looks like saliva, mostly transparent/white in color or today for example yellow.

I think he isn't getting all his right vitamins and proteins etc.. so I have decided to get him on kibble where at least I know its would be a better nutritionally balanced diet.

Thing is I live in Kuwait where we sadly have only 3 brands of food available, Purina, Nutra Gold and Pedigree.

Could you please tell me which of the 3 is the best?

thanks

Toller_08

Pedigree's ingredients aren't at all good, and I'd try to stay away from it if I were you. Purina ONE is the best of all the Purina products I think. None of the other products I know of that they make are very good. Just glancing quickly at the ingredients, it looks like the Nutra Gold would be the best choice.

However, I'm definitely no dog nutrition expert so maybe somebody else will be able to help you out a little more.

usurp

Well I just got back from the vet. I found the brand Eukanuba there.

I asked my vet what was the best brand of dry food i could find and he basically told me there really wasn't anything good in kuwait but if he had to choose it would be Eukanuba. Anyone heard of it?

www.eukanuba.com

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
I would just make the effort to correct what you feel is "wrong" with his raw diet... those foods are a HUGE step in the backwards direction from fresh, real meats.

Do you follow a recipe or meal plan? Perhaps if you posted how you feed him, some one here who is knowledgeable in raw can help you figure out what isn't right.

Maxy24

I agree with VanillaSugar, what you have him on now is SO much better than all those foods. Post exactly what and how you feed him and I'm sure people on here who feed raw (and we have quite a few) or are knowledgeable in it will help you out.

Dekka

Just try me..
I wouldn't feed any dog any of those foods...raw is much better. Most people that I know that are serious into dog sports feed all raw, or partial raw and a great kibble.

What are you feeding with the raw?

ACooper

If you really must switch your dog off raw, then I would go with Purina ONE, or Eukanuba. (not just any purina, if you can't get Purina ONE go with Eukanuba)

Neither are all that great, but if that is all you have to choose from what can you do?

I do agree that you could list how you are doing the RAW, and some members here that feed RAW themselves would probably be quite happy to offer their help in getting it straightened around for you.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I wouldn't feed my dogs any of those brands... I would stick with a raw diet if I were you. However, I would change how you are doing things with it if you are unhappy. Here is a good link to start with:

http://www.rawdogranch.com/

Also, Purina's top line is actually Purina Pro Plan... I'd consider it a very "mid" level brand (right there with Eukanuba, Nutro Max, etc).

I saw your other thread and you mention that your dog will not eat vegetables or anything. Perhaps the best solution to this is to come up with a recipe in which all of the foods are put through a food processor. Wrigley is fed raw and I have found this to be an easy and good way to feed him. I had a nutritional consult from Sabine at betterdogcare.com and went based on her recipe. Now he gets a mixture of ground beef, chicken, ground turkey, veggies and vitamins and I process all of this into this sort of mush that he eats. I am quite sure you could find most of the ingredients near you--it is basic meats, vitamins and veggies (which I'm sure you could replace with other locally found ones).......just an idea.

usurp

hmm that is an idea. what about his bone intake? would i for example give him mush to eat for lunch and then for dinner a sheep neck?

raw diet

Well with Wrigley he gets the raw mixture for both of his emails (morning and evening) it does not include bones but rather vitamins and baked egg shells to compensate for the nutritional value of bones. I do once and awhile give him a chicken leg ect for him to eat bone and all. The mixture that I use was created to be a complete meal for him so I do not vary it much.

I decided to get a professional to consult for me as I figured it was worth it knowning that my dog was getting all of the nutritional requirements he needs.

Members online

No members online now.