Agility training

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Georgie almost Qd JWW, but only did 11 weaves the first time through. She took a nice RC from me which I wasn't sure if she would take, then since she missed the Q I also asked her to run a line that wasn't really straight, and she nailed it (although I handled it properly instead of botching the handling like I did the last time I asked her to run a not-so-straight line.)

Payton's JWW run was uhhhh. He blew his stay which I thought we'd fixed that, so that didn't bode well. He got into his weaves but didn't finish them. Tried again, no go. Tried the third time and he got about 8 of them. So then I took off on him, had to send him out around a big post and he dropped the bar of the next jump because I was like twenty feet ahead and he tried to rush to catch up to me after losing sight due to the post. He didn't get the triple because the angle was wrong and I didn't really work it that hard (again I was 20 feet ahead of him), but he did get the ending line which was the same as Georgie's course. Got another compliment on speed, his and mine.

Payton went first in STD and wow. Blew his stay again. He did a VERY nice teeter, then he came off the table. Got back on it and did a much better stay, I even got away from him before releasing. The course was teeter (nice) table (not so nice) jump (fine) a-frame. He got in the yellow on the a-frame but didn't do a 2o2o, but at least he tried. The weaves were in the exact same place as they were in JWW so I thought he might actually get them, but he was worse on the weaves this time around, which is a bummer. The dog-walk was second to last and he wasn't even close to his contact there. I at least remembered MY criteria for the most part and did what Stuart told me to do, so I feel kind of good about that. I always feel worse when not only does Payton have a crappy run but I don't behave the way I've been told to either, because that's not helping. He did get a couple pieces of steak for getting his a-frame, but overall not super-de-duper.

Georgie's STD run was kind of a mess. She came off the table which I don't think she has done before. We know the judge and she knows the judge thinks she's adorable so she got on the table, then jumped off and ran over to the judge like HI HI HI I LOVE YOU HI HI! OMG. She did come back though. She wasn't even close on her a-frame, I think she finally got the weaves on her third attempt but I can't remember if she actually did or not, and she didn't get the dog walk contact either. Overall though it's not her fault; my mom hasn't been working with her either and although I took Payton out after finding out we got into the trial to work him, she didn't. So Georgie really hasn't seen contact equipment at all since our last trial, nor had any kind of work done on her contact behavior. It was disappointing because she's one Q away from her title and moving up into excellent, but again, really not her fault.

All in all it wasn't a very good weekend. We didn't get to run until SUPER late, which I had wanted to skip the hotel and just drive over but my mom wanted a hotel room so we did that... spent extra money on the hotel room which we didn't need, and of course I didn't sleep very well in the hotel room either, so I was tired. Came home after wasting a bunch of money and a good portion of my weekend and started drinking.
I did see that Agility University opened a contacts 101 course which covers all kinds of things, and the price was good for six months of access, so I signed up and started trying to read through it last night. My brain wasn't fully functioning (alcohol) but it seems like there's a lot of stuff in the course that I've already done/am doing with Payton, but I don't think my mom has done with Georgie, so hopefully I will be able to get some good stuff done with Georgie. Also it covers running a-frames which I have wanted to switch to training a running a-frame for P. So... yeah... that's what I did under the influence of alcohol. Whoops!

Meanwhile the whole drive home I was hoping BB had much better success with Gusto this weekend so WAITING FOR BB TO CHECK IN AND TELL US GUSTO WAS AWESOME.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
We did a TDAA ring rental yesterday. Pending Summer still being healthy in September we'll be entering a trial there...

It is good to just run with her again. She was so-so. She does not run as well in the TDAA building as at our usual club. I think it is mostly because I can't really run because things are so close together. She's a lot faster in USDAA. But we still had fun even if she didn't seem to remember weaves at all. :p

BostonBanker

Meanwhile the whole drive home I was hoping BB had much better success with Gusto this weekend so WAITING FOR BB TO CHECK IN AND TELL US GUSTO WAS AWESOME.
:rofl1: I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks about other people's trials. I was annoyed that with Chaz down all weekend we weren't hearing how yours went!

My trial was beyond bizarre. It has been probably 5 or 6 years since I've done CPE, and I am pretty sure it will be at least that long again. I know it varies by area. I know that a good handler and a good dog are good regardless of the venue. But the whole trial was just insane and unprofessional and badly run, the judge was not someone I would ever trial under again (and that makes two judges ever, I'm not one to say that). I nearly left after my first two runs, because I didn't want my stress to affect the dogs, and I could not handle it.

But of course, as I was making the decision to start packing the car up at about 10 am to leave, it was nearly time for Gusto's next run, so I thought I'd stay for that. And wound up staying the whole day.

And it was the right answer for Gusto, which makes it even more of a shame that I was so turned off by the whole thing. I only had him in 3 classes, thinking they were ones where I would be able to easily set up a good course for him. The Jackpot/Gamblers run was first and didn't work that way. I couldn't make a speed circle that didn't involved contacts and weaves. He wasn't terrible, just...as he's been. A little stressy, a little worried.

The other two classes were perfect for what I wanted, and it worked as planned. He got faster and more confident each run, despite the increasing heat and sun (he has very low heat tolerance, and I would have expected it to go the other way). This was his last class of the day :D

Over 5.5 yps! Granted, as I said - it was a glorified speed circle. But it is so much better than anything he's given me in the ring in a long time. I let him do a stand at the startline for all his runs, and didn't really lead out. I also hosed him before going in the ring.

Meg was absolutely terrible, as is her right, and still qualified in everything, because it is CPE. Although I didn't stay for the Snooker results, which she should have won and may have been eliminated for. Because I think the judge called me out for "training in the ring" when I told her to down on the table twice (yes, within the judge's rights, as it is in the rule book, but given that she was holding the chute open for dogs during their runs earlier in the day, I think it was unfair to call it).

So, all in all, we got what we needed out of the day. Our next trial is a month out, and is AKC, so certainly will be more complicated courses. He's still in Nov/Open there, at least, so not as advanced as USDAA, and it is at the site where I've had his best runs ever. I'm hoping for another positive trial for him. I don't know when we'll get back to USDAA, because winter is approaching far too rapidly. But I'm okay with calling this a training year. He's three. We have all the time in the world.

My little training group confirmed that we've got the same barn we had last winter for this winter, so we've got space to train all winter. We've got a series of lessons set up with the trainer I like to carry us through fall/early winter. I really feel positive about getting these issues under control and being able to really enjoy trialling next year!

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Oh jeez, I think of how others are doing at trials all the time!!! I get excited reading about everyone's adventures :D

Beanie - Sorry you had a not so fun weekend :( You guys will all get there - you're a wonderful trainer :)

Laurelin - Weaves are overrated :p

BB - YAY! Glad you guys got what you needed! I love reading about Gusto because he reminds me of Kimma - has the potential to do amazing things but the stress/anxiety behaviors can be quite overwhelming. Just keep at it!! I'm so glad I never gave up on Kimma.

And this is what I do after a SUPER stressful day at work... Weave time!!! And since Kimma can't let me do things without her, some tandem weaving at the end LOL: [YOUTUBE]3dLUtJgGNQ8[/YOUTUBE]

krissy

Yay for those who had good(ish?) trials, better luck to those who had so-so trials. As long as we're all still having fun we're all winners. :) (Yay for cheesy lines!!)

Kili's next trial is in 2 weeks. Our first "real" full weekend trial. And it's going to be hot. Help me pack! What are your essentials? So I have on my list:

-Water for both of us (duh!)
-Shade tent for her crate
-Reflective mesh for my car/to cover the shade tent
-Cooling coat
-Toys/treats
-Jackpot rewards for after runs (canned food, cheeseburger, etc.)
-Tug leash
-Snacks for me
-Folding chair for me
-Crate/bedding
-Bully stick for downtime

Would love to get one of those crate fans, particularly because my crate is plastic and doesn't get the best airflow (it was the best compromise for size/weight though for carrying around). Any other things I'm overlooking that I will likely need or you have found useful?

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Yay for those who had good(ish?) trials, better luck to those who had so-so trials. As long as we're all still having fun we're all winners. :) (Yay for cheesy lines!!)

Kili's next trial is in 2 weeks. Our first "real" full weekend trial. And it's going to be hot. Help me pack! What are your essentials? So I have on my list:

-Water for both of us (duh!)
-Shade tent for her crate
-Reflective mesh for my car/to cover the shade tent
-Cooling coat
-Toys/treats
-Jackpot rewards for after runs (canned food, cheeseburger, etc.)
-Tug leash
-Snacks for me
-Folding chair for me
-Crate/bedding
-Bully stick for downtime

Would love to get one of those crate fans, particularly because my crate is plastic and doesn't get the best airflow (it was the best compromise for size/weight though for carrying around). Any other things I'm overlooking that I will likely need or you have found useful?
DAL trial? I was going to be in town for that one but my time up there got bumped to this coming weekend so I couldn't enter. Sad panda.

Are you going to check out the Canadian Classic this weekend? I was going to enter that but i didn't really feel like spending money on something that's not counting toward anything.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Our trial packing list looks like this... Anything with a * is usually stored in my trunk so I don't actually have to pack it.

- soft-sided crates (for transport in the car and for stashing dogs in the sleep)*
- wire crates for the trial (crate pads tucked into them)*
- crate covers*
- crate bowls*
- crate fans*
- mat to go under our crates*
- folding chairs*
- towels (in case it rains and I need to wipe feet dry)*
- trial binder - has their height cards in it, a copy of their pedigree, copies of title certificates (to prove YES MY DOG ACTUALLY HAS HIS NA AND NAJ, I SWEAR), also there's copies of their OFA records and anything like that. Right now Auggie and Payton's CERF certificates are in it also because I haven't sent them in yet, derp. I also stick my hotel conf, trial info, directions, anything like that in here.
- trial leads are all in a box, I also have a padlock in here... need to get more
- a little box of treats solely for taking to trials
- rosin bag in case we are on poor turf
- a small grooming bag that goes with me, contains a brush, a comb, thinning shears, and straight shears
- first aid kit, this is the same kit I have at home but it's in a bag so I just pull it off the shelf and put it in the car
- clicker (for practicing stuff at the hotel)
- special trial toys, Auggie has a sharkie tug, Payton has a braid tug and then there's a squeaky ball on a rope
- food and water bowls for hotel
- container of kibble for dog dinners
- cooler with drinks for me and any kind of treat that needs cooled
- people snackies! jerky, roasted and salted almonds, sometimes chips, I always have to bring something salty because I have sodium intake issues, especially if my nutrition is off for the day because I'm at a trial

I think that's it. It's a lot of stuff but it all packs into two bags... one bag that goes into the hotel room and the other that actually goes to the trial.

krissy

DAL trial? I was going to be in town for that one but my time up there got bumped to this coming weekend so I couldn't enter. Sad panda.

Are you going to check out the Canadian Classic this weekend? I was going to enter that but i didn't really feel like spending money on something that's not counting toward anything.
Yes! DAL trial! And poo that you won't be there. I'll pretty much be in all DAL trials though, for future reference, since that's my training group and it's local. I have to work this weekend though, so probably not... though I only work Saturday. When/where?

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I went and did agility with RetrieverFever and xpaenax on Friday! I had one goal in mind, and that was to do my best to listen to Em and make sure she didn't quit on me.

I achieved that goal. She was happy, motivated, and only got weird twice - when deerflies were landing on her and being dicks. I am so proud. We had a great time!

Agility with Friends 145 by Julee Paine, on Flickr

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Yes! DAL trial! And poo that you won't be there. I'll pretty much be in all DAL trials though, for future reference, since that's my training group and it's local. I have to work this weekend though, so probably not... though I only work Saturday. When/where?
Sue is great :) There are a lot of cool peeps up there with various clubs.

Canadian Classic is in Leduc at William F Lede Sports Field, Sat-Sun. Here's the website: http://dogsport.org/ccdac/

I'm not sure if i'm going out but I might since I'll be in Devon which is so close. I'm watching my friend's house and pets while she's off on her anniversary weekend.

We might see you at a trial sometime! I might look at coming up for the October or December DAL trials. We'll see!

k9krazee

Love hearing everyone's updates! :)

It's almost fall! That means we'll start trialing again! Our last trial was pretty bad & stressy...we've made SO many improvements in class and the yard since then so I'm anxious to see what happens come our first trial again.

I've been looking into different organizations (CPE is really all I know and I love the number of classss you can enter and I love the games) -- but I'm considering USDAA and AKC but going out of my comfort zone freaks me out.

Next Monday is "customer appreciation day" at the place we train where they put on a BBQ and free fun trial-like day. Excited to see what happens!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I like my little bubble of TDAA and USDAA lol. If we had CPE I'd like to try it but we don't here...

I keep debating about doing the UKC trial in October. I hear it's easy to knock out their beginner titles in a weekend. I need to register her AKC but all my friends hate AKC trials so... not sure. I keep hearing bad things about how they're so strict and slow.

We have August off and then pending health stuff TDAA trial first weekend of September. Cross your fingers for a standard Q so we can finally move into superior. We're almost done with our games 3!

DJEtzel

Love hearing everyone's updates! :)

It's almost fall! That means we'll start trialing again! Our last trial was pretty bad & stressy...we've made SO many improvements in class and the yard since then so I'm anxious to see what happens come our first trial again.

I've been looking into different organizations (CPE is really all I know and I love the number of classss you can enter and I love the games) -- but I'm considering USDAA and AKC but going out of my comfort zone freaks me out.

Next Monday is "customer appreciation day" at the place we train where they put on a BBQ and free fun trial-like day. Excited to see what happens!
I am excited to see how you and Crosser do getting back into the swing of things! I know what you mean about going out of your comfort zone... I need to get out and try AKC / new venues, too... (My impromptu goal is CATCH by 4 and MACH by 6) If you want, I'd be interested in going with you to an AKC trial and we can experience it for the first time together to maybe ease some stress! :cool:

I haven't been able to train much lately which is really demotivating me and I'm doing a lot more with Disc, but I still want Recon's C-ATCH... So I need motivating to keep trialing. It sucks when you don't have anyone to go with you. My ex was good for that, at least... But now I have more friends in the disc world so it's just leading me away.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Lo has been working on some basic flatwork skills, we'rr having a lot of fun :)

Mir is still getting back into shape post-maternity leave. Hoping to have her back in the ring next month and competing the following month. Hoping!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
If you want, I'd be interested in going with you to an AKC trial and we can experience it for the first time together to maybe ease some stress! :cool:
It's a long trek but if you guys came toward Indianapolis or something else south-er like the St. Louis area, I'd be happy to meet y'all there and do the thing. I've only ever done AKC.

I sorta think we should do a St. Louis agility trial Chaz meetup LOL.

DJEtzel

It's a long trek but if you guys came toward Indianapolis or something else south-er like the St. Louis area, I'd be happy to meet y'all there and do the thing. I've only ever done AKC.

I sorta think we should do a St. Louis agility trial Chaz meetup LOL.
Man, I so have the travel bug lately- I would be very interested! Between disc and agility, I'm looking at traveling a lot anyway. Was traveling to Indy every weekend for my SO anyway. Dog stuff is better! :p

Milwaukee last weekend for disc golf, and Naperville labor day weekend for disc... St. Louis is only 6 hours - I could do that too!

I should probably trade in my car soon if I'm going to be traveling like this...

ETA; I still really want to run on the flooring at Pawsitive Partners in Indy! I don't know if they ever do anything other than CPE, though. :-/

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
ETA; I still really want to run on the flooring at Pawsitive Partners in Indy! I don't know if they ever do anything other than CPE, though. :-/
That's where I was this past weekend LOL.
The turf is okay, not my top fave but they replaced it a few years ago so it's pretty good. I didn't bother with rosin this weekend because I don't feel like it's very slippery, which is good. The building is teeny-tiny though, and the crating situation is always kind of weird. But I still like to trial there because the people are generally nice, the hotels are pretty affordable, it's not super far away from me so it's an easy drive to get there and back when I'm done. Also Indy isn't really super crazy traffic so it's not a big deal. Some of my friends have quit going over there way, but I still do it.

I'm planning on being back at Pawsitive for their October and November AKC trials. Evansville is holding a trial over Halloween and I'm planning on that one too, but that's in almost-to-Kentucky Indiana.

Springfield? I don't know if that's closer to you guys. They are doing three days AKC mid-October.

DJEtzel

That's where I was this past weekend LOL.
The turf is okay, not my top fave but they replaced it a few years ago so it's pretty good. I didn't bother with rosin this weekend because I don't feel like it's very slippery, which is good. The building is teeny-tiny though, and the crating situation is always kind of weird. But I still like to trial there because the people are generally nice, the hotels are pretty affordable, it's not super far away from me so it's an easy drive to get there and back when I'm done. Also Indy isn't really super crazy traffic so it's not a big deal. Some of my friends have quit going over there way, but I still do it.

I'm planning on being back at Pawsitive for their October and November AKC trials. Evansville is holding a trial over Halloween and I'm planning on that one too, but that's in almost-to-Kentucky Indiana.

Springfield? I don't know if that's closer to you guys. They are doing three days AKC mid-October.
I have only run outdoors and on slick rubber matting, so that is like heaven to me! LOL - I've been there to watch Willy run Pimg and Recon has trained there, but I've never gotten to actually work on it. :p Janet and Mike are really nice so I'd like to support their place. Maybe I will have to check out the AKC trial there in October! Ashley, what do you think? :p

eta; Indy is about 3.5hrs depending on the time of day. Springfield is 5 hrs 11 minutes via google maps, so a bit further. I don't really *like* to travel more than 4 hrs for a typical trial, but I could be convinced. haha.

Members online

No members online now.