Breed Selector

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
PyrShep was my #1 too (meh.) Definitely weird that the "rare" breeds are coming up so commonly.

Top five:
Pyrenean Shepherd 82%
Australian Shepherd 78%
Australian Cattle Dog 78%
Shetland Sheepdog 78%
Border Collie 78%

LOL that Sheltie, Aussie, and BC are all basically evenly matched. I wouldn't own an ACD though and don't think those are really that similar to the rest, so that's the odd one out.

Hmm. Not quite.

Top five:
Portuguese Podengo Pequeno 90%
Basenji 77% (???)
Belgian Tervuren 74%
Labrador Retriever 74%
Belgian Malinois 74%

This is such a strange mix of breeds, what did I do? The only one on here I would maybe consider is a Terv, and that's a stretch.

1. Pumi - 81%
2. Australian Cattle Dog - 78%
3. Australian Shepherd - 78%
4. Shetland Sheepdog - 74%
5. Belgian Tervuren - 74%
6. Belgian Sheepdog - 74%
7. Belgian Malinois - 74%
8.PolishLowlandSheepdog-72%
9. Collie (Smooth) - 70%
10. Collie (Rough) - 70%
11. Bearded Collie - 70%
12. Border Collie - 69%
13. Pyrenean Shepherd - 66%

Well, no way in the world for the Pumi. Not a fan of the look or the coat. But, the top two are dogs that I decided against when looking around but fit a lot of what I wanted on paper so they've got that pretty on!

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
German Shepherd Dog75%
Pembroke Welsh Corgi70%
Pyrenean Shepherd69%
Bouvier des Flandres68%
Rat Terrier67%
Canaan Dog66%
Cardigan Welsh Corgi65%
Cocker Spaniel64%
Border Terrier64%
Belgian Tervuren63%
Belgian Malinois63%
Belgian Sheepdog63%
Boerboel62%
Swedish Vallhund62%
Hovawart61%
Basenji61%
Beagle60%
Shetland Sheepdog60%
Polish Lowland Sheepdog60%
Shiba 60%

ACD didn't show up AT ALL. :rofl1:

Katem

I would say something is definitely up with the selector. Decided to test it out and input very general answers. Left most things as no preference/don't care. My top ten?
Belgian sheepdog
Terv
Pumi
Chinook
Aussie
Icelandic sheepdog
Mini schnauzer
Boxer
Malinois
Sheltie

The gsd, eskie, Puli, fox terriers and briard made the cut further down

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Hmm. Not quite.

Top five:
Portuguese Podengo Pequeno 90%
Basenji 77% (???)
Belgian Tervuren 74%
Labrador Retriever 74%
Belgian Malinois 74%

This is such a strange mix of breeds, what did I do? The only one on here I would maybe consider is a Terv, and that's a stretch.
I got the pondengo the first time, too! But I changed my size requirement to only medium and got Whippet.

Red Chrome

My top 4 were GSD, Bouvier, Cane Corso and Rottweiler. Followed by Black Russians and Belgian Malinois.

Airn

I did it twice. The first time for what I'm currently looking for (small dog) and got these:
Shetland Sheepdog 73%
Chinese Crested (Powder Puff) 72%
Pembroke Welsh Corgi 69%
Miniature Poodle 69%
Cardigan Welsh Corgi 69%

Chinese Crested 68%
Australian Shepherd 66%
Swedish Vallhund 62%
Spinone Italiano 62%
Flat Coated Retriever 61%

The first 5 are pretty accurate, besides the Chinese Crested. I want hair on my dogs. (The poodle is pretty iffy, but still doable.)
The second set is a little ridiculous :rofl1: I haven't heard of most of those. And Aussies and FCR's aren't exactly little...

Now this is for my 'ideal' dog, or what I generally like. (Not really a 'small dog' person.)

Cocker Spaniel 67%
Shetland Sheepdog 63%
Cardigan Welsh Corgi 63%
Chinese Crested (PP) 62%
Mini Poodle 59%

Collie (Smooth) 59%
Flat Coated Retriever 59%
Pembroke Welsh Corgi 59%
Chinese Crested 58%
Boykin Spaniel 56%

Well this makes me want to look more at Shelties. But the others (besides the Corgi's) I'm not really interested. I love cocker spaniels but BF hates the ears for some reason (amusing, I think, since I have short, curly hair) and, again, I like furry dogs. FCR's aren't far off, though. We'll probably get one eventually, since that was BF's childhood dog. (He says she was black lab but she looked more FCR than lab.)

I like taking these quizzes. I'm glad they didn't try to sell me a Mal. :lol-sign: (Although they did try the Chinese Crested...)

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
Australian Shepherd 83%
Bearded Collie 76%
Collie (Smooth) 73%
Pumi 72%
German Shepherd Dog 71%
Bouvier des Flandres 70%
Belgian Tervuren 69%
Shetland Sheepdog 69%
Collie (Rough) 69%
Belgian Sheepdog 69%

Not bad, although reading the aussie facts I lol'd when I read 'not a barker'. :eek:

Last edited:

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
nope, not accurate at all...

Belgian Sheepdog80%
Belgian Malinois80%
Belgian Tervuren80%
German Shepherd Dog77%
Black Russian Terrier73%

I SAID I DIDN'T WANT HAIR! What part of "short coat" could they not understand? Also, four herding dogs... I am so done with herding dogs.

Granted, what they have for Doberman information kind of sucks:
Long-lived, 15+ years (HAHAHHA no they aren't!)
Very easy to train (incredibly smart does not mean easy to train)
Does well in most climates (...as long as you have a cooling coat and pajamas?)

Not good in Agility (... yes they are....)
Not good in lure coursing (... yes they are...)

Toller_08

I got:

Labrador Retriever 83%
Australian Shepherd 79%
Border Terrier 76%
Belgian Tervuren 74%
Belgian Sheepdog 74%
Golden Retriever 72%
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever 70%
Portugese Water Dog 66%
Flat-Coated Retriever 66%
Smooth Collie 64%

I'd say it's pretty good. I took it twice and tweaked a couple of the answers slightly the second time around because the first time was ridiculous (Cocker Spaniel was my #1... really?). The questions about exercise, grooming and time spent alone always tend to throw my quizzes off. But glad to see my two favourites made it decently high on the list, although personally I would think they should be higher haha. I could see myself with most of those breeds though. Not necessarily would I seek all of them out, but I could live happily with them.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
LOL @ Malinois "Availability: Difficult to find."

Interesting, I got Mal/gsd/terv/aussie.

Then, tweaked the "reserved" to "wary" and got collie.

I then tweeked the jogging from desired to important and the companion dog from important to don't care and I got a pharaoh hound.

Strange scale...

SpringerLover

At least my two favorites are in the top ten!
1) Labrador Retriever 71%
2) Golden Retriever 67%
3) English Springer Spaniel 64%
4) Curly-Coated Retriever 62%
5) Wirehaired Vizsla 61%
6) Cocker Spaniel 59%
7) Irish Water Spaniel 59%
8) Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever 59%
9) Flat-Coated Retriever 59%
10) American Water Spaniel 59%

I'm honestly not surprised that Labrador is #1. They're a very appealing dog generally speaking but... I just don't know.

I really, really hate mention of "rage" when Springers are brought up, but this one isnt' as bad as some are:
Personality:
Most English Springers are great dogs for kids, although a few have had unexplained incidents of sudden aggression. Playful, gentle, and energetic. A tail-wagger. Merry, brave, and sweet. Best when with people as much as possible. Can get into trouble if left alone too long. Usually good with other pets with the possible exception of birds. Sometimes scrappy with same sex dogs. The English Springer breed has been experiencing a serious personality problem in some individuals. An otherwise normal dog goes into sudden rage, viciously attacking people. During the attacks the dog does not respond to commands. This condition is generally not evident until the dog is 1 to 2 years old and any dog exhibiting this problem must be humanely euthanized. Check with breeders about history of "rage" in the lines.
I think the only one I would absolutely say no to, based on aesthetics alone, is the IWS. Rat tail... no thanks!

Large or very large + "snow sled pulling" = Portuguese Water Dog, American Eskimo, and a whole passel of herders? :confused:

After seeing this elsewhere and being bored one day I tried to intentionally get certain breeds by loading my answers, and the results were... unexpected.

milos_mommy

Ok, I got Portuguese Water Dog - I put pretty low grooming requirements and unwilling to get them professionally groomed. So, maybe not.

The others I got were border terrier, staffordshire terrier, standard poodle, and cocker spaniel.

Border Terrier and Staffy I could see, standard poodle as well.

The problem with these tests are they're super general. Does an hour of exercise mean an hour long on-leash walk, or an hour of jogging/swimming/fetch? Does 15 minutes of grooming mean brushing a husky while you watch TV, or carefully detangling an afghan hound's coat? Does wanting the dog to do agility mean a serious competition dog, or a dog that will enjoy going to agility class once a week?

Members online

No members online now.