please help..dog crying and barking...

My dog is about 14 years old. For the past few months he has been crying and barking when I leave him. I have had him forever, since he was born and I know that as he has gotten older, he has developed a seperation anxiety when I leave him. We live with my mom and he doesn't cry when anyone else leaves him, just when I leave him. It has gotten to the point now, the other night I proceeded to leave him, and he cried/barked for nearly an hour. I couldnt let him cry, so I went back into the house and stayed with him until somebody got home. I can leave him when my mother gets home, but I cant leave him when he will be alone.

We have been giving him rescue remedy now and also some Chinese Herbal pills that are suppose to help with the anxiety, but nothing seems to work. I love this little dog more than anything, but it seems that nothing is helping him.

Can anyone recommend anything else we can try? My mother and I talked about possibilities of putting him down...I don't know...He also may have diabeties..but I just love him soo much and I am so sad and upset. My co-worker recommened the machine that emitts that loud noise when the dog starts to bark..I guess it makes them stop when they hear it. I dont know if that will work though....Any ideas of what we can give him to stop crying and barking when I leave him?

Thanks in Advance

Tinaweena

I would give him something to keep him busy, and this thing you should only give him when you leave.
Try a Kong stuffed with kibble and peanut butter, or a marrow bone, anything else that he loves to eat...but will keep him busy. So something he has to work at to get. Knuckle bones work great for this, the only last a few days, as they will lose the appeal after all the meat is eaten off of them, and the juices licked out but they are pretty cheap at the butcher. Make sure it's only beef bones, as chicken and other types can splinter.
When you leave, make no fuss over him at all, just go get the treat out of a hiding place, put it on the floor and walk out. It should keep him so busy that he won't even notice that you've left.
When you get home, make no fuss again, just go get him a regular treat, then take away the special treat.

Just an idea, it doesn't work for every dog....but it may.

we tried something like that...gave him special treats when we leave, but he just doesnt care..he sees me leaving and tries to run out of the door just as I am leaving..

There are medications for anxiety problems. One is clomipramine. It is for anxiety and your vet would be able to prescribed it probably. Another thought is a product I haven't tried but is available. It is a hormone similar to one a nursing mother dog puts off. It is supposed to be calming to dogs in an enclosed area like a room. It is something you plug in, like an air freshener but it puts off this soothing hormone. It is meant for dogs with anxitey problems. I will try to find it and post the name. It has been a while since I have looked for it.

Members online

No members online now.